Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New HED wheels coming? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you look at the recommended pressures for the Jet wheels it seems that the maximum weight for the wheels are about 82kg. When you go over that weight the recommended pressure is higher than maximum pressure.

Is the table correct with regards to maximum pressure?

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the stallion rear option is gone?
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We based the tire pressure chart on the compression from completely unloaded to a decrease of 15% tire height at a given weight. The range was 4mm to 6.375mm across the tire sizes that we used.
As psi goes up, the compression force on the rim increases, and spoke tension decreases. If your weight is such that you top out the inflation chart, you can move to a larger tire to get more vertical space between the rim and the road or you can go with a little more tire drop. We're talking small actual measurements of tire drop here. Remember that with a modern wide rim your larger tire will be taller, so your rim is further from the road. Further from the road gives you some cushion from potential pinch flats.

That's our recommendation.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the table coming up in tire size won't solve the problem. I've stricken out all cases where recommended pressure is higher than maximum pressure. I'm "safe" for all sizes at 80kg and run 75 psi on my 25mm 5000TL. But looking at the table the recommended pressures seems to use the old limit of 85 PSI and not the new maximum pressures listed in the table.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to that: at my weight, Hed recommending pressures in the mid 50s for 23mm tires. I’d expect those tires to measure around 26mm. I would expect pinch flats if I rode that pressure. Silca’s pressure calculator recommends 70-80 for 23-25mm nominal tires on wide rims (measuring 26-27mm) depending on the surface. The pressure in Hed’s chart seems too low by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow those are some very low max pressures
Quote Reply

Prev Next