Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New HED wheels coming?
Quote | Reply

Update on the Jets maybe? Seems like they have the disc and gravel wheels already set for next year. Looks to be an all carbon rim from the photo. Maybe ordering a set of Jets two weeks ago was a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<rocking back and forth> pleasehavearimoption pleasehavearimoption
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a hookless rim for wider tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are the wheels...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Road" version of the Eroica carbon wheelset?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to guess a new Vanquish. That rim design has been out for years, but it seems like it had to wait for the disc thing to catch on with the road crowd.

It also looks like it doesn’t have spoke holes. Maybe they do some fancy spoke nipple like Mavic or it is a Trispoke. Taping rims isn’t my favorite thing and I don’t true my own wheels so I guess the fact that you need to be a decent mechanic To fix these things is OK by me.
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://hedcycling.com/road/

Edited post: see below for explanation by HED.
Last edited by: lang: Sep 10, 20 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold up there, Chief.
We got a lot more accurate with our descriptions on the new website but for now everything we are making remains the same. The wheels you got 2 weeks ago are the same as the wheels you might order tomorrow. Jet 6 have been 28mm at their widest point for quite a while. The brake track width is still 25mm.
This is really a case of we could have been more accurate a few years ago when Plus Jets were starting out.
You didn't make a mistake, sorry we gave that impression.

we are always working on new stuff though, and at a faster pace than we have done the past few years.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response, I just sent an email asking this question about where the external measurement was taken. I will edit my post, I just assumed the pluses were 25mm at their widest based on previous specs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what did you launch today....just a better description of old products?? What’s the next generation on 9.10 refer to?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 10, 20 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:

That is the most anti-climactic media tease of all time. The Next Generation of wheels is....we clarified some language on our Web site.
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
andy tetmeyer wrote:

That is the most anti-climactic media tease of all time. The Next Generation of wheels is....we clarified some language on our Web site.

The email, when viewed from my inbox, did have the wording "We've got something new in the works, get ready for September 10th."

I just assumed a new product was coming and it wasn't a new website, pricing and graphics.

I honestly had no idea the Jets had such a wide fairing on the 6s & 9s. The image in their store doesn't reflect this so I thought the new specs meant the wheels were now wider and would be more aero with wider tires, like the Vanquish rim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lang wrote:
trail wrote:
andy tetmeyer wrote:

The email, when viewed from my inbox, did have the wording "We've got something new in the works, get ready for September 10th."

I just assumed a new product was coming and it wasn't a new website, pricing and graphics.

I honestly had no idea the Jets had such a wide fairing on the 6s & 9s. The image in their store doesn't reflect this so I thought the new specs meant the wheels were now wider and would be more aero with wider tires, like the Vanquish rim.

That was a fair assumption by you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't check the fancy pants disc models but according to the "press release/pics" the hubs have been changed/downgraded(?) with the Black rim brake versions.

With name change of the Ardennes Plus Blacks to RA Blacks the front hub has changed from the carbon shell to aluminum. And the rear has gone from straight pull spokes to J-bend coinciding with a "different" hub.

Not sure if the RA Pro is supposed to be the replacement Plus LT but it gets round spokes.

With the Jet Blacks it looks like J-bends/different hub for the rear. And, I would guess an aluminum hub for the front but no pics.

So not quite same same.
Last edited by: happyaxle: Sep 10, 20 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [happyaxle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure Andy will shed some more light soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had already figured this out with calipers as I was trying to ensure I was following the rule of 105 with my rims :p
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I had already figured this out with calipers as I was trying to ensure I was following the rule of 105 with my rims :p

Ha! Same here. And no, a nominal 25mm GP 5K is not quite compliant at about 26.6mm, but it is at least narrower than the widest part of the fairing.

I suspect that ideally, the tire should be narrower than the brake track, not just the widest part of the rim. But that's hard with modern tires on modern rims, especially for rim brakes. Anyway, it's probably a minute difference at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy

So is the only disc brake disc wheel now offered by HED the one in the Vanquish series? Or is the jet plus disc disc still being offered?
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m sure Andy will shed some more light soon.

*cricket, cricket*

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"With name change of the Ardennes Plus Blacks to RA Blacks the front hub has changed from the carbon shell to aluminum. And the rear has gone from straight pull spokes to J-bend coinciding with a "different" hub. - exact same hub guts, they always have been. we're just not doing straight pull anymore.

Not sure if the RA Pro is supposed to be the replacement Plus LT but it gets round spokes.

With the Jet Blacks it looks like J-bends/different hub for the rear. And, I would guess an aluminum hub for the front but no pics. Alloy front hub on black (and all rim brake wheels now).

And, the only disc brake aero disc offering is in Vanquish.

We have been spending a lot of our time on gravel stuff, and there is more to go before we turn back to road. Emporia 30mm carbon are shipping now. Obviously I am biased, but with 32mm GP 5000s on only a 30mm rim those Emporias are way faster than they should be as a road wheel.

-andy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:

We have been spending a lot of our time on gravel stuff, and there is more to go before we turn back to road. Emporia 30mm carbon are shipping now. Obviously I am biased, but with 32mm GP 5000s on only a 30mm rim those Emporias are way faster than they should be as a road wheel.

-andy

As long as you are working on gravel stuff... The ridge for the "fat lip" on the aluminum Emporia's looks like it would be a natural place to attach a fairing like on the Jets. That would make a great aero gravel wheel for my Exploro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Andy,

I know you just said you're spending most of your time on gravel at the moment, but I'm wondering if there have been any head-to-head wind tunnel tests done lately between the Vanquish 8/disc and competitive offerings from other manufacturers? I'm intrigued by the Vanquish series of wheels but I've yet to come across any wind tunnel data on them.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I have about 240 DAMn reasons to believe that wheel with GP5000's in 32 should be the combination of choice for ALL Minnesota gravel! LOL.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: New HED wheels coming? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffs, I can't make an aero chart post. sent a PM. I don't remember when we have tested discs head to hed recently. Steve did our lenticular vs flat in the 80s and 90s.
maybe you can see the chart in a message.

Chris, the emporia is faster than it should be, but not faster than a Vanquish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
"With name change of the Ardennes Plus Blacks to RA Blacks the front hub has changed from the carbon shell to aluminum. And the rear has gone from straight pull spokes to J-bend coinciding with a "different" hub. - exact same hub guts, they always have been. we're just not doing straight pull anymore.

With the Jet Blacks it looks like J-bends/different hub for the rear. And, I would guess an aluminum hub for the front but no pics. Alloy front hub on black (and all rim brake wheels now).

And, the only disc brake aero disc offering is in Vanquish.

-andy

Will the H3+ ever be coming back? Front and rear ideally...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next