Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best way to meet single triathletes?
Quote | Reply
Where's the best place to meet other single triathletes? Obviously local triathlon, cycling, running, and swimming clubs are good places to meet new people, but most of us know the majority within our social circles already and would like to meet new people. What are the best places to meet other triathletes?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
Where's the best place to meet other single triathletes? Obviously local triathlon, cycling, running, and swimming clubs are good places to meet new people, but most of us know the majority within our social circles already and would like to meet new people. What are the best places to meet other triathletes?

I dunno, maybe "local triathlon, cycling, running, and swimming clubs" in other towns?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely not late night parties...We all gotta get up early for a workout.

So maybe 5am at the gym?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere shorts are the preferred choice of bottom-wear. All you need to do is look out for that m-dot tat.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slow lane at the local pool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally (from experience) be careful setting out to find a triathlete specifically. I am sure you are looking for someone that you can share your hobby with, and support one another in your goals. That does not have to be someone who does tris, they could be a runner, a rec cyclist, a swimmer, a spin class junkie, a yogi, ETC. My guess is you are looking for someone who values an active lifestyle, and is more interested in being asleep by 10 most nights and knocking out a fitness activity before noon the next day.
Also get a side gig at a bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can meet cyclists at the local gas stations/coffee shops taking a break from their "long ride" while they drafted the entire time....
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These reponses are awesome from a humorous standpoint, but you make a good point about not thinking it has to be a triathlete. I think someone that is compatible in personality and values is most important followed by shared interests such as an active lifestyle not necessarily sbr.

Interests change so you don't want to be locked into something so specific as it's more about compatibility with the person. At the same time, having someone to share long rides or other activities with would be a big plus as my past relationships didn't have it
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [TruffleShuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TruffleShuffle wrote:
You can meet cyclists at the local gas stations/coffee shops taking a break from their "long ride" while they drafted the entire time....

That's hilarious. Maybe sharing a Honeybun or Little Debbie's Oatmeal Creme Pie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:

Just mention you are triathlete in every casual conversation - seems to be what most triathletes do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:

There is a Facebook group here for just that purpose.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Singles... No short distance Triathletes allowed because we all know, length matters.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
Just mention you are triathlete in every casual conversation - seems to be what most triathletes do.

I purposefully don't mention I do triathlons in my usual cycling group for this exact reason. When triathletes join the weekend rides, it's like they have to let everyone know they've done an Ironman, setting aside the Ironman tattoo on the calf, Ironman kit, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volunteer to be a coach for an organization like Team in Training?

I spent many years trying to date women who do tris. I faced a lot of competition in the '80s and '90s because there were usually three men (or more) for every woman at a tri. Thankfully for you, the ratio is more even now.

I finally got married at age 52. My wife's never done a tri, hates the water, doesn't run and I made her cry the first time we did a bike ride together. But she loves to hike, so we spend nearly every weekend visiting parks where she hikes and I run. We've been together for 10 years.

Good luck!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 17, 20 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:

maybe race organizers can feature special colored bibs to indicate the individual Is "single and ready to mingle" lol
and in addition have a separate wave just for those folks....pretty sure folks will forgo their PR goals if they're paired up with a cutie for a few hours...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, you don't want a triathlete . . . they are all high maintenance, they tell the same stories over and over, and enough is never enough.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Nah, you don't want a triathlete . . . they are all high maintenance, they tell the same stories over and over, and enough is never enough.

Go for a pure runner

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
fat wrote:

I purposefully don't mention I do triathlons in my usual cycling group for this exact reason. When triathletes join the weekend rides, it's like they have to let everyone know they've done an Ironman, setting aside the Ironman tattoo on the calf, Ironman kit, etc...

A friend told me to keep an Ironman AZ backpack I borrowed since he had so many. I gave it to my kid when she needed a bag. I was carrying it for her and someone stopped me to ask me about Ironman AZ. It took me a minute. So you might be looking for an Ironman and get a false advertising Xterra person. If you started dating them you might be disappointed when they expected to have fun during training rides :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

Good point, although meeting someone that accepts a hobby involving 10 to 12 hours a week of time away isn't always the easiest.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
If you started dating them you might be disappointed when they expected to have fun during training rides :-)

Hahahahahahaha!

[wheeze]

Hahahahahahahaha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"although meeting someone that accepts a hobby involving 10 to 12 hours a week of time away isn't always the easiest."
----------------------------------
I did :-)!!! No one said it would be easy!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of divorce court. Often, one ex spouse is a triathlete and the other not. You will probably be able to deduce which is which.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
become a coach...
pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of proven strategies

1. choose a big race, go to it. The bigger the race the better. Don't race. Instead break out your preferred app. Go to transition. Set the range in the app to 1 mile. Start swiping. I've heard the record is 17 meet & greets in a single 3 day race weekend. Speed dating at it's finest.

2. Find workout groups in your area. There is one here in town that has had at least 5 marriages in the last 20 years

3. dating apps

4. having dated several triathletes, bike racers, runners, a cross fitters, a swimmer and other athletes all across the US over the dozen or so years I've been divorced my advice is don't focus on having the person be a triathlete or runner or whatever sporty type you think you want. In fact if you're searching for a specific type you'll probably have fun with them........until you no longer do.

Search for the person that you get along with, enjoy their company, want to hang out with them and if they think dog walking and Pilates are exercise just roll with it. Could be the best relationship you'll have vs trying out the various sporty types the country has to offer.

My other advice is think about why your single and what your hang ups are, where you tend to fall down or rise above in relationships, what your flaws are etc. The better you know who you are the better your odds are of finding someone awesome.

If you're just after the race weekend date or short term those are really easy to find. Finding someone to hang out with for the next 4-xx years, well, that's a bit more difficult. YMMV

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next