Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Aarbiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for your help

I currently have a cervelo P2 size 54 and looking at a Speedmax 8 di2 CF. Here are my details. I am pretty sure they are right :-).
Height - 177cm
Inside leg - 80cm
Saddle height - 734
X- 412
Y - 690
I currently use 165mm cranks.

Aarbiser,
Okay, let's talk. That Pad Y of 690... That's pretty high. I find this dubious. For a 54cm P2 to achieve that pad height there would need to be at least 168mm of "construction" between the top of the head tube (bike frame) and the arm pad. I'm trying to imagine how that might get divided logically: 40mm in headset top cap and spacer, a +6 stem is another 20mm up more, and then 100+mm of arm pad pedestal. The Pad X at 412 even seems short but not as outrageous as the 690 of Y - not after a fit. If you could remeasure while I do some math, let's meet back here to compare and discuss.

Based on your height, seat height, inseam - the other metrics you've given me... I would think a logical Pad X would be more like 460, and a reasonable Pad Y to be something like 620 - I'd even allow for 645, if you had something serious going on like 3 fused lumbar vertebrae.

If your numbers were in that ball park (I think they either are or should be barring any serious oddities) then it would be easy. The Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 that's right for you would be a size Small. That bike comes stock with an 80mm stem that would work perfectly for you. The presumed Pad X gives you room fore and aft to make it perfect. Even the generous Pad Y I offered isn't the max on this bike.

Check it again and let me know.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ,

I am planning to transition from an entry level roadbike with clip-on bars to a TT bike.
I just had a Retul bike fit on a simulated Canyon CF8.0 bike. Bike fitter initially setup his rig to mimic an S size and then decided to move me on an M size. I cannot recall what motivated the decision to move from S to M
Canyon website sizing tool puts me at an S size. Also looking at numbers, I notice that my armpad reach seems very short

My measurements based on Retul report:

• armpad Stack-674
  • armpad Reach-385 (BB to back of pad)
  • Saddle setback 6cm behind BB- ism PN 1.0
  • Crank 172.5
  • Height 175.3cm /5"10,
  • Inseam 84.4cm,
  • shoulder 42.5cm

There is a bit more details in the attached Retul report (numbers added in purple correspond to my road bike/clip-on aerobar setup)

Any suggestion you may have regarding a suitable size for a Canyon Speedmax CF would be welcome,

Thank you,
FG

Last edited by: FG@cekoia: Sep 12, 20 1:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [XTRMTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys,
Don't forget about the non manufacturer approved combination of 53/36. Works a treat with a Shimano 4 arm crankset, with maybe a chain catcher as a safety net. Buying it as a 53/39 then buying the 36 inner is obviously the cheaper way of doing it. That extra big tooth can just help with the flatter courses and chainline, but still give you that 36 for hillier stuff. As triathletes we don't change the front as much as roadies and ride steady, so the ever so slight drop in shifting speed won't cause any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pad Stack: 610
Pad Reach: 445
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am planning to transition from an entry level roadbike with clip-on bars to a TT bike.
I just had a Retul bike fit on a simulated Canyon CF8.0 bike. Bike fitter initially setup his rig to mimic an S size and then decided to move me on an M size. I cannot recall what motivated the decision to move from S to M
Canyon website sizing tool puts me at an S size. Also looking at numbers, I notice that my armpad reach seems very short

My measurements based on Retul report:

• armpad Stack-674
  • armpad Reach-385 (BB to back of pad)
  • Saddle setback 6cm behind BB- ism PN 1.0
  • Crank 172.5
  • Height 175.3cm /5"10,
  • Inseam 84.4cm,
  • shoulder 42.5cm
There is a bit more details in the attached Retul report (numbers added in purple correspond to my road bike/clip-on aerobar setup)

Any suggestion you may have regarding a suitable size for a Canyon Speedmax CF would be welcome,

FG,
I'm a bit of a spot on this one. Pad Stack of 674 and Pad Reach of 385.... those numbers just don't go together. It would be like you coming out of a physical and the doctor says your blood pressure is 390 over 4. It just can't happen like that - the 674 can only happen on a Large or Extra Large and the 385 (translates to a 435 mid pad) just barely makes it on an Extra Small. And, just a couple more takeaways on the pics (thanks for including those), your position looks reasonable, I do not, for one second think you're at 674-385.

For get the fit, forget the pics, forget everything....Let's say you wrote in with: "looking for a Speedmax CF, I'm 1753mm tall and have an 844mm in seam". I'd say your Pad Y was probably 620 and your Pad X is 475. And with that I know you belong on a Medium. And just on the off chance that you can't ride with pads as low as 620 well have no fear, the Medium will get up to 672. You've got long legs for your height but your overall morphology is relatively normal. I can only assume that the fitter mistook the measurement of the Pad X to get that 385???

I'm here to help and I welcome you to come back to me with any question anytime. If you don't let me say this before you go... the seat height on the report is listed as both 774 and 760 - whichever number relates to the photograph subtract 20mm and that's our seat height with 172.5 cranks. The Speedmax in a Medium will arrive with 175 cranks. Remove those and put on 165s and then your seat height should be 7mm higher that before. So here's the math... if pic has you at 760 you belong at 740. You should move to 165 cranks and then your seat height should be 747.

Ian

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Ianpeace

Thanks a lot Ian,

Your comments are reassuring.
I was starting to feel like I had a T-Rex arm reach and was doomed to extinction from TT cycling ; )

I ll try to get in touch with the fitter for another session to re-verify/correct the fit dimensions. As a baseline, I ll ask him to preset his Retul rig with your suggested dimension for a Size M canyon Y 620/X475. While I am at it, is it best he also sets it up with 165mm cranks as per your suggestion or 172.5mm. The Retul system was advising for 172.5mm based on my anatomic measurements. Just wondering what motivated your or Retul's choice of 165mm vs 172.5mm?

Cordially,

FG
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [FG@cekoia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thanks a lot Ian,

Your comments are reassuring.
I was starting to feel like I had a T-Rex arm reach and was doomed to extinction from TT cycling ; )

I ll try to get in touch with the fitter for another session to re-verify/correct the fit dimensions. As a baseline, I ll ask him to preset his Retul rig with your suggested dimension for a Size M canyon Y 620/X475. While I am at it, is it best he also sets it up with 165mm cranks as per your suggestion or 172.5mm. The Retul system was advising for 172.5mm based on my anatomic measurements. Just wondering what motivated your or Retul's choice of 165mm vs 172.5mm?

FG,
Let's start with the easy one: the entire concept of short cranks on triathlon and TT bikes is so that you can ride at a lower arm pad elevation and still be very comfortable. When cranks are long you can't go low because thigh approaches your stomach at the top of the pedal circle and the hip gets impinged and mucks up the top of the pedal circle, slowing the flow, reducing power, wreaking havoc on humanity.

I teach bike fitting at two different bike fit schools. I've been doing that for a long time, I've met lots of fitters. You have NOT received a "Retul Fit". No one has ever received a Retul fit or a Guru fit, etc. You've received a fit by that individual fitter. They might have used a Muve (that's the name of Retul's dynamic fit bike). They might have used a motion capture system with a Retul sticker on it but as a friend of mine once said.... "nobody shows up at work on Monday bragging about going to a Fender guitar concert over the weekend, what they say is 'I heard Mark Knopfler play on Saturday at Doug Weston's the Troubadour and he's the truth'". I hope you get my meaning there.

It might be cool to go back to them and have them set the pads at those coordinates and then play with the fit from there. If you do that I want to insist that you 1) do the fit on a triathlon specific saddle (Cobb JOF, Cobb 55, Adamo, etc) and 2) that you sit on the front half of that saddle as it's meant to be ridden. I can't see any aspect of the saddle you are using for this fit and that's troubling. Go here: https://www.tririg.com/...nman_Hawaii_Race_Day and scroll those the pics. Everyone of them, male or female, short or tall, mezomorph or ectomorph - they all sit in a similar place on the saddle. That's where age groupers sit too, that's where I make people sit when I fit them, that's where you need to sit during your fit and when you ride and part of the fit process is finding a saddle that let's you sit there comfortably.

Keep me posted, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian is 100% correct here. And by way of corroboration, we only sell our bikes with 165mm cranks. And we would sometimes stock lower if it were easy to do so. But very few bike brands offer short cranks. Even 165 isn’t universally available.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [slippy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pad Stack: 610
Pad Reach: 445

Slippy01, you're very economical with your key strokes, I'm good with it. I'm gonna guess that your Pad Reach of 445 is to the rear of the pad, let me know if that's NOT the case.

If you wanted a Canyon Speedmax SLX (superbike) then you have two choices:
1) a size small with the short stem that comes stock, 45mm of arm pad pedestal and the arm pads bolted nearly dead center.
2) a size medium with the short stem that comes stock, 15mm of arm pad pedestal and arm pads mounted 2 holes back of center.
I'd recommend the medium so that he gap from aero position to the pursuit position (read: breaks) is less drastic.

If you wanted a Canyon Speedmax CF (mortal bike) then you should get the Medium. That bike comes stock with an 80mm stem and that'll work for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian but 445 is mid pad.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [slippy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't change too much...

in the SLX it would have to be the Small - still 45mm of arm pad pedestal but now pads back one hole forward of max. The medium could still make it but barely and you'd need this aftermarket item called the TSP (Team Switch Plate) to bring the pads back nearly to the max on the Medium

in the CF it would be a small as well. You'll be in the middle of the Pad Y range so there's room to move up and down but the minimum X with the stock 80mm stem is 447 - could work, 2mm in the elbow placement on the pad can be negligible. If you got a 70mm stem you could nail it. The XS is an option too you'd still have 10mm to go higher with pads if you wanted (and of course lots of room to drop) and the max Pad X on the XS is 455 so there's some movement there too (max seat height on the XS is 700)

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. Dies Canyon sell a 70mm stem or would I have to go aftermarket?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian. Dies Canyon sell a 70mm stem or would I have to go aftermarket?

Slippy01,

They do have a 70 and while it looks best on that bike you can still use anybody's 70 because the steer (1 1/8) and the bar (31.8) are standard sizes.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 SL (current generation), although I am new to TT bikes.

I believe a Medium would work best, although the Canyon site suggest Small based on height and my estimated inseam and recommends Medium if I tweak height/inseam up slightly. I am 181cm and 32" leg in jeans (not sure of my exact inseam). Based on your previous (and extensive!) responses to others with similar measurements I am confident Medium is the right choice to enable greater fit flexibility.

My main question is around crank length - I understand a Medium CF SL ships with 175mm cranks, I see you often prescribe 165mm or even 160mm to others of a similar height. I am wondering what best option is here and whether or not this would apply to me?

I have not had a TT bike fit but can provide my figures below, from a recent road bike fit (2019) for my Orbea Orca Aero (55cm frame, running 172.5mm cranks), if you could provide some guidance?

Stem: -6 x120mm
Spacer stack: 15mm
Cranks: 172.5mm
Saddle height: 766mm
Saddle setback: -14mm
Saddle angle: -5"
Eff. Seat Tube Angle: 79
Grip angle: 25
Frame Stack: 566mm
Frame Reach: 403mm
Handlebar reach: 523mm
Handlebar drop: -128mm
Grip reach: 630mm
Grip drop: -117mm
Bar reach: 48mm
Grip width: 392mm
BB to grip reach: 617mm
Handlebar stack: 606mm
Handlebar reach: 509mm

Many thanks in advance - really appreciate any guidance you can give.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [XTRMTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
I got the Medium Speedmax , i have tried to make an appointment for a professional fitting but the bike industry here is so busy, so i have downloaded the FAST BIKE FIT elite app and tried to get myself into some what of a comfortable starting position, I have taken snap shots as well as a short video and enclosed a Dropbox link.
Please let me know your thoughts.

https://www.dropbox.com/...xJMLMTdLHMghJna?dl=0

Ari

XTRMTB wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thank you for comphernsive and quick reply, so much good info there and so helpful, yes I’m in the US and will be ordering a medium.
As far as cranks which size would you recommend 165 or 160? 53x39 or 52x36 or 50x34, would love some advice, will also send the new crank to 4iiii for power meter install, do you think it makes sense to get a durace crank since I’m buying a new one anyway and price difference is about $120.
Thank you so much for your input and help.

Ari,
Let's start with the easy one.. In my mind the only difference between the Dura Ace (R9100), the Ultegra (R8000), and the 105 (R7000) cranks is weight. DA is 624gms, Ultegra 681gms, 105 742gms. In terms of triathlon weight is far less critical than drag so we ride heavier wheels that are 60+mm deep even though they are far heavier than a very shallow wheel that is say 20mm deep.

I'm a full on bike snob and I ride Ultegra on all my bikes. I also don't judge - some folks want a YSL or Hermes handbag and that's their focus so you can get whatever level you like but beyond the label it just comes down to weight and the 57gms (an egg) isn't that big a deal in triathlon.

Now, about length - I think you should go 165 simply because is the shortest Shimano makes but I also think a 160 would likely be better to avid hip impingement to allow you a lower arm pad elevation if you liked such a place. Here's a list of other makers: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...k_Database_2862.html

I think you should "mid-compact" at 52x36. 53x39 might work if you were both a bike monster, masher, and only raced flat courses. A 50x34 is great if a) you struggle going uphill and want the easier gear and b) don't care about going over, say, 35mph. The 52x36 is a nice compromise.

Ian

Ian,
I was ROFL, YSL or Hermès , that’s too funny. :)
Thank you so much for the input and great advice.
Will let you know how it all works out.
Thank you
Ari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ari,

Well done!!!
I think most of your position looks very good. I'm not 100% sure the landmark for your greater trochanter is right so I'm not too worried about knee angle number/saddle height.

My first and most important question is.... how long are those cranks?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
Thanks for the quick reply, I’m waiting for the 165 cranks , these are 172.5 i took off my other bike while waiting for the 165.

Ari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, Ian --

So here's the thing. I recently defied cool-headed logic and jumped at the opportunity to purchase a Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 without getting a pre-fit. I have been riding a 2015 Specialized Shiv Elite. The fitting info I had from my Shiv, plus the Canyon PPS guide seemed to place me firmly in a Small.

Ht: 175cm
Inseam: 78cm
Seat height (Shiv): 724mm

I had measured Pad X/Y on the Shiv and came out with the following:

Pad X: 441
Pad Y: 673

In reading your knowledgeable and extensive thread, I came to feel that these numbers were off. Then I took a good look at the Shiv and realized that the front of the saddle was essentially even with the front edge of the seat post. Since the seat tube angle on the Shiv is 77 degrees, the setback of the front of the saddle from the BB was huge -- like about 4.5-5 inches. I feel like this renders my X/Y numbers suspect (or at least the X number).

My road bike saddle height is set at 747mm (2012 Orbea Orca, the bike I will be buried with), which looks to be in range of either S or M. However, the upper limit of Armpad Stack of CF is short of my current Pad Y. While I believe I can go lower with a more accurate fit, I'm 63 YO male, and the days of aggressive aero riding are behind me. (I participate in IM races -- 70.3 and 140.6, so comfort matters). And because I have zero faith in the Pad X number, I'm just lost.

All of this leads me to wonder if I shouldn't consider sending it back and getting a Medium (I'm still well within my 30-day return window). I plan to get a professional fit, but am concerned about whether I can get a comfortable fit on the S.

Any insight you could offer on this dilemma would be much appreciated. Thanks for all you are doing to help us work through these challenges.

Carroll Wills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 DI2. I am 175cm and inseam is 81,5 cm. I did a fit for my current bike ( see the file below).

Thanks,

Juha

[inline bikefit.JPG]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help. I went with a Small CF with DI2. Beautiful bike. Quick shipping. I do need to change out my cranks to 155mm. Do you guys have any specific cranks you would recommend in 155 that you have experience with working with bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ari,

When the short cranks come in and you get 'em installed send another pic/vid and let's see.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [commandprompt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 SL (current generation), although I am new to TT bikes.

I believe a Medium would work best, although the Canyon site suggest Small based on height and my estimated inseam and recommends Medium if I tweak height/inseam up slightly. I am 181cm and 32" leg in jeans (not sure of my exact inseam). Based on your previous (and extensive!) responses to others with similar measurements I am confident Medium is the right choice to enable greater fit flexibility.

My main question is around crank length - I understand a Medium CF SL ships with 175mm cranks, I see you often prescribe 165mm or even 160mm to others of a similar height. I am wondering what best option is here and whether or not this would apply to me?

I have not had a TT bike fit but can provide my figures below, from a recent road bike fit (2019) for my Orbea Orca Aero (55cm frame, running 172.5mm cranks), if you could provide some guidance?

John,
I distinctly remember working numbers on this and posting but I don't see it so here I go again.

I think your Pad Y is near to 633 and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 489. To that end I don't think the small will go long enough for you so it's got to be the medium. And there's lots of room to move fore/aft/up/down so you should be confident in that size.

As to the crank length - yes, 165, 160... I have also put lots of folks who come into my fit studio on 155s, and 150s. The reason we commonly default to 165 is that it's the shortest that the big players make (Shimano, SRAM, Campy). If you go lower you go to Cobb or Rotor or some such. No doubt you should ride a 165 on your TT bike, probably a 160 would be better.

Do not expect many (any?) of the fit numbers from your road bike to translate to your TT position. Your seat height will likely be a hair more and your setback less, your handlebar reach less and your drop more. If you'd like me to try and recommend a triathlon minded fitter in your area let me know here and I'll do a search.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, can you fit a 28mm tire on a Speedmax SLX? Or should I say "tyre" ;)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I bit the bullet and purchased the Speedmax CF 8.0 based on your previous recommendation. Here is my first attempt after maxing out on all the spacers provided. The aerobars have been pull inwards to the max and I also changed the crank length from the default 172.5mm to 165mm. I think the saddle is a bit too high but I just feel the this new saddle (Mistika) is a bit different from my previous ISM PN and feel very awkward.

Any thing that I can further improve on?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lzhe_SX-Dxq6LQ1FEu3sptIdxdlDpJZ7/view?usp=sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [cjwillsiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello, Ian --

So here's the thing. I recently defied cool-headed logic and jumped at the opportunity to purchase a Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 without getting a pre-fit.....

Carroll, lots of good info in here, thanks for providing it all. You measured the old bike at Pad Y 673 and Pad X at 441. Based on all the info you've offered I'd suspect your Pad Y to be closer to 620 and your Pad X near to 470. That makes sense too because if your hips were more forward in your position (either by way of the saddle moving forward or a type of saddle that allowed you to ride the nose, or both) then your cockpit would be longer (Pad X moving from 441 out to 470) and your bars would be lower (Pad Y moving from 673 to 620) and that still would NOT be all that aggressive.

So, you've got this Speedmax CF in size small...and the Pad Y of 620 works beautifully on that AND can go up to 649 if need be. For your height, inseam, age I would like 620-630 Pad Y would be generous but you can even go up to nearly 650 if you wanted. The Pad X of 470 is only a wee bit of a concern because the max X on a small is 472....with the 80mm stem that comes stock. Both the steer tube (inch and 1/8) and the bar clamp (31.8) are standard so you can put a multitude of stems on that bike - that's an easy fix if my assumption of X is close.

My hope would be this - put the bike in a trainer, get it level, and set the saddle height at 728 and the set back at something like 25mm if it's a long nosed, road saddle and 30-35 if it's a split nosed tri saddle. Then put the Pad Y at 625 and the Pad X at 470. Ride it on the trainer but ride it in a manner where you are looking 8ft ahead of the front wheel (like you'd do out in the wild) and not looking down at the front hub like we all do when we're on the trainer. See how that feels and get back to me here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next