Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LBS service question
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble with my LBS, and I'm curious what the best course of action is. I dropped my bike off back in the middle of February - service was supposed to take 3 days or so. A week passed, so I called - not done. I'm patient, and we've worked together for years, so I was cool with it. A few more days. Then the COVID shutdown happened. My bike wasn't my number one concern, and I fully understood that things might slow down. 2 months went by, no word. I called (had to call several times, voicemail box was full) and emailed and finally got through. Still had to do a few things, would get it done in a few days. Another month went by. He bent my rotors and had to order replacements. 2 weeks go by, rotors are stuck on a FedEx truck. I decide to not be a jerk and let this sort itself out. So here we are in September, a full 7 months after I dropped the bike off, and it's still at the shop. At this point, I could have bought a 2021 model, or saved a bundle on the 2020 that I actually bought.

Luckily I don't have any events on the calendar, but I'd still like to ride my bike at some point. How would you all handle something like this?
Quote Reply
Re: LBS service question [bigmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would get my bike out of that shop as-is and not pay them anything. Do you know for sure that your bike is still there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 months??? Wow, you are much more patient than me. I’ve had my bike(s) in/out of my shop 1/2 dozens times in that period. I would have given up 6(.5?) months ago absent a really good explanation. Get your bike back and go elsewhere.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 10, 20 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: LBS service question [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would get my bike out of that shop as-is and not pay them anything."

Bingo!
Quote Reply
Re: LBS service question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed bike shops are super backed up now, but 7 months, man that's extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read the 2nd line, I thought no way in heck is this going to say it is still there.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I applaud your patience but get your bike today take your business elsewhere or better yet, do the work yourself and learn some new skills. How the eff do you bend both rotors performing maintenance? Seems to me, the mechanic(s) at this shop are sub par and probably not who you want working on your brakes of all things.

If they've done the work, I'd certainly ask for (demand) a large discount because 7 months is absolutely ridiculous, covid or not.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Sep 11, 20 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigmatt wrote:
I'm having trouble with my LBS, and I'm curious what the best course of action is. I dropped my bike off back in the middle of February - service was supposed to take 3 days or so. A week passed, so I called - not done. I'm patient, and we've worked together for years, so I was cool with it. A few more days. Then the COVID shutdown happened. My bike wasn't my number one concern, and I fully understood that things might slow down. 2 months went by, no word. I called (had to call several times, voicemail box was full) and emailed and finally got through. Still had to do a few things, would get it done in a few days. Another month went by. He bent my rotors and had to order replacements. 2 weeks go by, rotors are stuck on a FedEx truck. I decide to not be a jerk and let this sort itself out. So here we are in September, a full 7 months after I dropped the bike off, and it's still at the shop. At this point, I could have bought a 2021 model, or saved a bundle on the 2020 that I actually bought.

Luckily I don't have any events on the calendar, but I'd still like to ride my bike at some point. How would you all handle something like this?

I'd walk in to the shop, find my bike, grab it and walk out. Holy crap man, stand up for yourself. That is ridiculous.
Quote Reply