Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted
Quote | Reply
Eight bikes now. Wannna get it down to 2.

A 105 Caledonia replaces all the road stuff.

TT stuff, a harder decision. Currently have a 2010 QR Cd.0.1, 2005 P-3 SL, 1998 Softride Road Rocket. With a disc cover and a Specialized generation tri-spoke, which is the belle of the ball? All are comfy enough. Would a 2018 P-2 be faster than any / all of them?

Thanks for the wise advices.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CD.01 is allegedly the fastest, then I'd keep that
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
....TT stuff, a harder decision. Currently have a 2010 QR Cd.0.1, 2005 P-3 SL, 1998 Softride Road Rocket. With a disc cover and a Specialized generation tri-spoke, which is the belle of the ball? All are comfy enough. Would a 2018 P-2 be faster than any / all of them?...

Surely the 2010 QR Cd0.1 is the best for you or you wouldn't have bought it? (assuming you bought it after the other two).
Whether or not a 2018 P2 would be faster for you will depend a lot on you, your position, the size and configuration of the bike. As much as people like to discuss it as a discrete question, it's not realistic to rank frames in isolation from a specific configuration, including the rider.

I get the impression that your goal of reducing from 8 bikes to 2 may be used as an excuse to buy two more (combined with getting rid of all 8 existing bikes) ;)
Am I correct?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Sep 10, 20 2:40
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the Cervelo after the QR because it was an amazing deal & I had room in my garage. The reason I either want to sell all of them or keep just one, is to get enough $ to by the Caledonia.

The reason I want to buy the Caledonia, well that's Dan. E's fault. Would be my first new bike in eight years.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I bought the Cervelo after the QR because it was an amazing deal & I had room in my garage...
But don't they accomplish the same task or do you use them differently?
I'm not just being argumentative, at least not entirely. The reason you have them will surely inform your choice of which, if any, to retain...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
couple things, since this is my fault.

first, where are you going to buy your caledonia? have you checked on that shop's availability of stems? or, do you know that the caledonia, as it comes stock, will fit you? make sure that the shop is willing to place the correct stem on there for you, as well as the labor involved, no charge.

as to the tri bike, i kind of like the P3 classic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blasphemy i say!!!! downsizing the herd is against the fundamental principles of N+1 and should not be tolerated!! worst case should be a 1 for 1 upgrade!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
blasphemy i say!!!! downsizing the herd is against the fundamental principles of N+1 and should not be tolerated!! worst case should be a 1 for 1 upgrade!!!!!

Agreed.
Know the rulez https://volerfactoryteam.com/...les-from-velominati/

#2 you cannot help breaking the rulez

#12 minimum is 3 bikes, othervise n+1, can be s-1, where s is the number leading to separation from you partner
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

do you know that the caledonia, as it comes stock, will fit you? make sure that the shop is willing to place the correct stem on there for you, as well as the labor involved, no charge.

Hydrosloth wrote:

The 105 Caledonia, NOT Caledonia-5, has a standard stem and external routing, right? So unless the length was changing drastically this shouldn't be a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
Slowman wrote:

do you know that the caledonia, as it comes stock, will fit you? make sure that the shop is willing to place the correct stem on there for you, as well as the labor involved, no charge.

Hydrosloth wrote:

The 105 Caledonia, NOT Caledonia-5, has a standard stem and external routing, right? So unless the length was changing drastically this shouldn't be a problem.

ah. okay. i didn't see it was the caledonia. you're right. this bypasses the internal routing hurdle.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are really thinning the herd I would do a bike with more tire clearance than the Caledonia for proper gravel use. The Aspero or Exploro RaceMax would be my replacement choices.

How you come to a 2018 P2 is a bit of a mystery. Is it because you can get a deal on one? A package discount for 2 Cervelo?
Quote Reply
Re: In Slowman's Footsteps: Thinning the herd, advices wanted [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info..,. so far.

I don't need, a "proper" gravel bike, what I need is a fast road bike that is a bit more stable/comfortable than my current Scott Foil on some of the ever-deteriorating roads around here (Lower Mainland, BC). I might take it on a few gravel rides but it will be on pave 70% of the time. Throw on some clip C-3 clip ons, and I have a fast everything bike (which I think is the essence of what Dan E. was saying in his review). Ride into the 60-64 AG with some comfort!

As for the 2018 P-2. I'm hoping it IS faster than my current 2005 P3-SL. (and the rest of the tri bikes). It doesn't have to be a 2018, nothing magical about that year other than it is "old" and the price difference between it and either a new one, OR a P3. I'm more about bang per buck than I am about having something a wee bit faster but a lot more $.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you ride the new Cervelo before you start dumping bikes. New bike, new geometry=lots of unknowns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Thanks for the info..,. so far.

I don't need, a "proper" gravel bike, what I need is a fast road bike that is a bit more stable/comfortable than my current Scott Foil on some of the ever-deteriorating roads around here (Lower Mainland, BC). I might take it on a few gravel rides but it will be on pave 70% of the time. Throw on some clip C-3 clip ons, and I have a fast everything bike (which I think is the essence of what Dan E. was saying in his review). Ride into the 60-64 AG with some comfort!

As for the 2018 P-2. I'm hoping it IS faster than my current 2005 P3-SL. (and the rest of the tri bikes). It doesn't have to be a 2018, nothing magical about that year other than it is "old" and the price difference between it and either a new one, OR a P3. I'm more about bang per buck than I am about having something a wee bit faster but a lot more $.

I think you can plan on the P2 being at least 10 watts better than the aluminum P3. I think you can find the testing results on the blatheraboutbikes.com blog.

I still think the RaceMax is the ultimate N-a bunch bike. Slap clip-ons and road wheels on it and it is a decent TT bike. Stick some 650Bs on there and it is a decent cross country MTB replacement. That kind of represents the reasonable ends of the spectrum for a single bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
The reason I want to buy the Caledonia, well that's Dan. E's fault. Would be my first new bike in eight years.

if I ever bought a new bike, it would be that.. used to ride a Schwinn Continental as a gravel bike, worked fine but.

I'd have to go look for data but my guess would be the 2010 QR would not be significantly slower than a 2018 P2.. though some old threads here suggest it is about the same as a P3, as per grumpy Mike that is 10w slower than the P2..

Currently planning to rebuild my 2005 Cervelo Dual from a dedicated tri-bike into a road bike with shorty aerobars, for the few sprint tris I still hope to do.
Maybe even get up to 9-speed, woot.
Quote Reply