Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose?
Quote | Reply
i can find bulk mechanical brake and shift housing? who's got bulk hydraulic hose i can buy? i can't find any. i can find 3000mm. but that's not very long. help!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the supply chain is not flowing on bike stuff , it’s gone we are waiting
We are out of just about everything.
We have a waiting list on new bikes that might be here by the end of the year, maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i can find bulk mechanical brake and shift housing? who's got bulk hydraulic hose i can buy? i can't find any. i can find 3000mm. but that's not very long. help!

Yeah. I tired this recently too and all sources were out of stock. Figured it was a consequence of COVID production shortages with a surge in the need for bike parts supply.

If you find a source please let me know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Probably because hydraulic hoses aren't a common replacement item since they don't experience normal friction wear. They also always pair to specifically-sized olive and barb, making it more natural to sell them as a kit than brake housing, which may or may not use some ferrule or another.

So there's just always less stock of bulk hose in general than housing.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Sep 9, 20 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Probably because hydraulic hoses aren't a common replacement item since they don't experience normal friction wear. They also always pair to specifically-sized olive and barb, making it more natural to sell them as a kit than brake housing, which may or may not use some ferrule or another. So there's just always less stock of bulk hose in general than housing.

let's talk about your points. because i'd like to know and i don't know.

yes, i know that SRAM requires their own stealthamajigs and olives; and shimano likewise. but are you saying you can't use a single hose source for both SRAM and shimano? because, if so, that's news to me. is that so? you can't use jagwire hose for which? SRAM or shimano?

by the book, every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off the part of the hose that's crimped - that contains the olive and needle - and that means every time you change a stem or for any reason disconnect that line, that is the process. if you behave according to manufacturer instructions. therefore, so far in this new hydraulic world, i'm finding that i actually use quite a bit of hydro hose.

i don't by my barbs and hose as kits. i buy bulk barbs and olives. as kits. i want bulk hose separately.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some parts of the world we can't buy anything useful from Shimano and that isn't going to change this year.
Shimano do (in theory) have a 30m reel of BH90 - part number Y13098582
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Probably because hydraulic hoses aren't a common replacement item since they don't experience normal friction wear. They also always pair to specifically-sized olive and barb, making it more natural to sell them as a kit than brake housing, which may or may not use some ferrule or another. So there's just always less stock of bulk hose in general than housing.

yes, i know that SRAM requires their own stealthamajigs and olives; and shimano likewise. but are you saying you can't use a single hose source for both SRAM and shimano? because, if so, that's news to me. is that so? you can't use jagwire hose for which? SRAM or shimano?

I think I misrepresented the situation somewhat. You can use a single hose source, if that single hose source has ends compatible with the braking system you're connecting to. There's not a whole lot of room to safely mix-and-match ends and hoses, though. Sometimes you might get away with it, but not everything is as "same size" as it looks.

Quote:
by the book, every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off the part of the hose that's crimped - that contains the olive and needle - and that means every time you change a stem or for any reason disconnect that line, that is the process. if you behave according to manufacturer instructions. therefore, so far in this new hydraulic world, i'm finding that i actually use quite a bit of hydro hose.

I think the vast majority of people almost never change stems or disconnect brake lines, though..

Quote:
i don't by my barbs and hose as kits. i buy bulk barbs and olives. as kits. i want bulk hose separately.

Yeah, I think it's reasonable. I just think it's understandable that the aftermarket isn't bigger than it is.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Sep 9, 20 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are at least 3 standards that I'm aware of. Listed on the bulk box of Bengal brake line I have sitting here:

5mmOD/2mmID
5mmOD/2.3mmID
5.4mmOD/2.5mmID

So one size does not fit all...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

You do not need to change the olive just because you disconnected it.
I don't know anybody that does.
Only reason I would cut off the olive is to shorten the line or route it through a spot that the olive prevented it going through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I think I misrepresented the situation somewhat. You can use a single hose source, if that single hose source has ends compatible with the braking system you're connecting to. There's not a whole lot of room to safely mix-and-match ends and hoses, though. Sometimes you might get away with it, but not everything is as "same size" as it looks.

Quote:

I think the vast majority of people almost never change stems or disconnect brake lines, though..

Quote:

Yeah, I think it's reasonable. I just think it's understandable that the aftermarket isn't bigger than it is.

okay. thanks. what i hope that i might change, in my own small way, is that idea that we should just live with bikes that do not have the correct stem length. take for example the cervelo caledonia i've got on my workshop. it's a hydro brakeset, routed internally, thru the stem. the cockpit is too short on the bike i got. i needed a longer stem. so, i'm supposed to just live with it? hit the handlebars with my knees whenever i get out of the saddle? we are in a collision course right now in this industry between hydraulic brake and aero cockpit development on one hand, and bikes that fit on the other hand.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Only reason I would cut off the olive is to shorten the line or route it through a spot that the olive prevented it going through.

this is why i prefaced this with, "by the book." you absolutely HAVE to change the olive/needle EVERY time you disconnect the line, according to most manufacturers (and SRAM certainly) because the action of tightening down the compression nut smashes the olive down on the hose, creating a seal, and that's a one-time use, a one-time operation. if you tighten the compression nut onto an already tightened olive, you won't get a certain seal. now, functionally, in the real world, i suspect a lot of people ignore that. but that's my understanding of this process "by the book."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
okay. thanks. what i hope that i might change, in my own small way, is that idea that we should just live with bikes that do not have the correct stem length. take for example the cervelo caledonia i've got on my workshop. it's a hydro brakeset, routed internally, thru the stem. the cockpit is too short on the bike i got. i needed a longer stem. so, i'm supposed to just live with it? hit the handlebars with my knees whenever i get out of the saddle?
No, you should fix it. But most people get their fit dialed in and then don't touch it for a long time, or at least, that seems to be the intention of the manufacturers. I'm not sure that the system that we're trajectorizing toward is great, but I think that's the logic behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
okay. thanks. what i hope that i might change, in my own small way, is that idea that we should just live with bikes that do not have the correct stem length. take for example the cervelo caledonia i've got on my workshop. it's a hydro brakeset, routed internally, thru the stem. the cockpit is too short on the bike i got. i needed a longer stem. so, i'm supposed to just live with it? hit the handlebars with my knees whenever i get out of the saddle?

No, you should fix it. But most people get their fit dialed in and then don't touch it for a long time, or at least, that seems to be the intention of the manufacturers. I'm not sure that the system that we're trajectorizing toward is great, but I think that's the logic behind it.

i asked cervelo about this, and they said they send this part of their bike unfinished so that the dealer can make a fit determination, stick the right stem on there, and then finish-build the bike. but here are my problems:

are we talking about a fit-first retailer? how many of those are there? how many retailers are going to go for this? because, most will want to showcase their built bikes, which means... building up the bikes.

i just don't see any real reduction in the number of stems that need to get changed on bikes. versus what there was before. i agree, that once you're dialed, you're dialed. the problem is, out of 20 new bike transactions on already-built bikes, how many need the stem changed? then, how many of those stems actually get changed? there's a delta in there, now, that didn't use to be there. the net result is that we have a process engineered to produce worse fitted bikes than used to be the case, in my opinion. we need a tech fix for this. an in-line hydraulic quick connect would be ideal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is another issue with integrated front ends , example bmc SLR01.
When it’s time to change the head set bearings you have to run all new hoses.
I’ll be doing this in about a out year on a bunch I have built, keeps me employed nice service ticket$
Pretty sure Magura as a connector link on the MCi MTB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General question, because I haven't yet played with bike hydraulics, but what makes hydraulic tubes for bikes so special that you can't just use some other industrial hydraulic hoses? Hydraulic tubes and fittings (reusable ones too) have existed for decades before the bike industry got on board...
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
General question, because I haven't yet played with bike hydraulics, but what makes hydraulic tubes for bikes so special that you can't just use some other industrial hydraulic hoses? Hydraulic tubes and fittings (reusable ones too) have existed for decades before the bike industry got on board...

it is my guess that you can simply run a regular hydraulic hose, as long as it's to spec on ID and OD. but i don't know. mind, SRAM uses regular brake fluid; shimano uses mineral oil; so the hose would have to be fine with either.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
we are in a collision course right now in this industry between hydraulic brake and aero cockpit development on one hand, and bikes that fit on the other hand.

Bikes that fit don't appear to be a consideration anymore. Caledonia is a case in point - lost the C3/5 geometry which means Cervelo basically make one bike size range with different tyre clearances. On top of that we have the general malaise of changing anything on integrated cockpits exacerbated by hydraulics.

Having said that - I'd still like to see Cervelo put the stem from the Caledonia on the S3 as the quill stem it uses is a pain.

Check the bottom of this article for the No.22 Brake Break
https://bikerumor.com/2020/09/07/no22-bicycle-co-completely-stealth-frame-coupler-bleed-free-hydraulic-brake-splitter/

Which seems promising if it can be miniaturised - that design is not going to fit well in stems.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

this is why i prefaced this with, "by the book." you absolutely HAVE to change the olive/needle EVERY time you disconnect the line, according to most manufacturers (and SRAM certainly) because the action of tightening down the compression nut smashes the olive down on the hose, creating a seal, and that's a one-time use, a one-time operation. if you tighten the compression nut onto an already tightened olive, you won't get a certain seal. now, functionally, in the real world, i suspect a lot of people ignore that. but that's my understanding of this process "by the book."

You are also meant to use Shimano brake grease upon assembly and torque with the Shimano crows foot too, do you do that?
The olive once crimped will never leak on the line, the only possible issue is the alloy body to brass olive interface.
The brass is soft and will conform multiple times unless you go monkey on it.
If the olive is in good shape then reuse it.
Shimano even shows reusing it in their quick swap without bleed for changing left and right lever operation.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Slowman wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:

You are also meant to use Shimano brake grease upon assembly and torque with the Shimano crows foot too, do you do that?
The olive once crimped will never leak on the line, the only possible issue is the alloy body to brass olive interface.
The brass is soft and will conform multiple times unless you go monkey on it.
If the olive is in good shape then reuse it.
Shimano even shows reusing it in their quick swap without bleed for changing left and right lever operation.

i'm not arguing with you. i'm ambivalent on this. i don't know enough. i've experimented not only with a reuse of an already crimped olive, but doing the whole thing without a brake bleed. just to see how the bike performs. i do think there's a difference between shimano or SRAM saying, "use this brand of grease," or, "this is the right tool for the job," versus a technical imperative that is tied to safety. i don't think shimano would say, "the use of any other brand of grease is a safety hazard."

one problem with both SRAM and shimano, that hurts their credibility during discussions like this, is the unwavering adherence to the company line. when you overreach with the company line on the use of your products, then in such case where it's really important, you don't have credibility.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing with re-using the olive is that it's either going to leak or it's not. If you tighten it down and it's leak-free, it's not going to suddenly start leaking 100 miles later, so there's really no harm in trying to re-use it, and no safety issue. Worst case, you tighten it down and it leaks, and you replace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

by the book, every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off the part of the hose that's crimped - that contains the olive and needle...

Actually, I thought the point of the stealthamajig was that you DON'T have to cut the end of the hose off. The needle, with it's external threads that are no larger in diameter than the hose itself, stay in the end of the hose. The special olive, with internal threaded portion, just unscrews and screws onto the end of the needle sticking out of the hose.

So, if needing to, let's say, mount a new handlebar with internal routing, then one just unscrews the olive and does the re-route. Then a new olive is screwed on prior to reconnecting.

I understand this doesn't address your concern with lengthening a hose, but I just thought I'd point out that your "every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off" statement doesn't apply to that particular product.

One can also un-thread the needle from the end of the hose as well and replace it with a new one, if that's necessary...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't I find bulk hydraulic hose? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

by the book, every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off the part of the hose that's crimped - that contains the olive and needle...

Actually, I thought the point of the stealthamajig was that you DON'T have to cut the end of the hose off. The needle, with it's external threads that are no larger in diameter than the hose itself, stay in the end of the hose. The special olive, with internal threaded portion, just unscrews and screws onto the end of the needle sticking out of the hose.

So, if needing to, let's say, mount a new handlebar with internal routing, then one just unscrews the olive and does the re-route. Then a new olive is screwed on prior to reconnecting.

I understand this doesn't address your concern with lengthening a hose, but I just thought I'd point out that your "every time you disconnect the line, you must cut off" statement doesn't apply to that particular product.

One can also un-thread the needle from the end of the hose as well and replace it with a new one, if that's necessary...

i don't believe that's true. however, i can ask SRAM, again, and report back. however, this is from the designated person at SRAM, the person i'm supposed to ask, and this is a reply from this person the last time i asked:

"YES. You do need to use a new olive and Stealthamajig every time. The olive needs to crush under the 8Nm pressure of the compression hose nut, in order to deform and create a tight seal. Theoretically the barb is fine, but there’s no easy way to peel off a deformed olive off if it once it’s been mashed. You’d have to cut that whole bit off the end of the hose. The length of the barb is just under 12mm total- with the threaded end that enters the hose being about 8mm… so each time you remove this bit from the end of the hose, you’re cutting about 8mm from the hose at the very least."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 10, 20 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i don't believe that's true. however, i can ask SRAM, again, and report back. however, this is from the designated person at SRAM, the person i'm supposed to ask, and this is a reply from this person the last time i asked:

"YES. You do need to use a new olive and Stealthamajig every time. The olive needs to crush under the 8Nm pressure of the compression hose nut, in order to deform and create a tight seal. Theoretically the barb is fine, but there’s no easy way to peel off a deformed olive off if it once it’s been mashed. You’d have to cut that whole bit off the end of the hose. The length of the barb is just under 12mm total- with the threaded end that enters the hose being about 8mm… so each time you remove this bit from the end of the hose, you’re cutting about 8mm from the hose at the very least."

Huh...then what's the point in having it threaded? What's the advantage over that and a regular needle and olive? That's crazy...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, Jagwire appears to have "universal" hose and fittings you might be interested in...with options for colors! :-)

https://jagwire.com/products/hydraulic-hose

Quote Reply

Prev Next