Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervélo P-Series!
Quote | Reply
Hello!

Recently got a P-series Ultegra, but couldn't ride outside because of weather and covid (only 2 times)!

I dont know if it's my impression, but i noticed the bike a little heavy when carrying it - 9,8kg with pedals.
During the ride, the weight is less perceptive, and the bike is fast, responsive and smooth gear shifting.

Anyone noticed the same or have other comments? Or suggestions on how to reduce this weight?

I'm from Brazil, so sorry any mistakes in writting!

Have a nice day everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P-Series! [milani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is heavy. Are you sure about that number?

You're right in that weight is less important than aero, but I've always tried to accomplish being aero while keeping weight in check, both on me and my equipment.

Care to post a photo and or list your components? It should be noted that getting lighter can be very expensive.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty TT/Tri bikes aren't especially light (compared with road bikes), however that's not as important as aerodynamics. I think the three main sources of additional weight (compared to road bikes) are the cockpit, trade-offs of weight for aerodynamic benefits in more substantial frame elements, and provision for storage.

The avenues for reducing weight are much the same as other bikes. Stock wheels may be heavy, stock cockpit may be heavy.... and after that it probably turns to small bits and pieces. Saddles can offer opportunities, but personally, I'd always worry only about comfort. Tyres and tubes can save you some weight but I'd choose them based mostly on rolling resistance and partially aerodynamics. Thankfully low rolling resistance typically goes hand in hand with low weight so worry about what matters and you'll probably come in pretty light here anyway.

My Felt IA was about the same weight as your Cervelo. A big chunk of that was the stock wheels and tyres. I think the wheels weighed over 2kg. I've replaced the wheels with something a bit more aero (SwissSide Hadron) but never made any special sefforts to reduce weight - in fact I'm sure I'll have added more weight with the draft box, hydration system and BTS, and ISM saddle, than I saved by replacing the wheels and tyres. It's still faster on almost any route (including those with very significant climbing) than my Canyon Ultimate that weighed <7kg stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P-Series! [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Wow, that is heavy. Are you sure about that number?

You're right in that weight is less important than aero, but I've always tried to accomplish being aero while keeping weight in check, both on me and my equipment.

Care to post a photo and or list your components? It should be noted that getting lighter can be very expensive.

It's the original p-series disc ultegra! I didn't change anything (yet!)

Ultegra r8000, wheels vision team 35 disc, tires continental grand prix!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch! Disc brakes! 😁

It's a good looking bike and gonna cost a pretty penny to make a dent in that weight. Ai_1 pretty much hit all the points where you want to look. For comparison sake here is my build.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To give you an idea on cost, a saddle that drops a lot of weight (~150g) and still works for most is the Dash. That thing is almost $500. Wheels are another area you could drop (~200g), but you're looking around $2K for an upgrade there. Then you can go after things like the cockpit, but not sure what you might save there for a really adjustable setup. Felt's Bayonet 3 Devox (carbon version) can hit almost any fit, is light, and pretty darn fast....but rare. Good news is most can be had for ~$300, if you can find one. That crank isn't the lightest thing either, but again it's going to take a serious investment there to get lighter, especially if you want a spider based PM. Outside of that I am not sure you're going to gain much by swapping out groupo pieces.

~100g Lighter Saddle: https://www.dashcycles.com/saddles-2/stage9
~500g Lighter Wheels: https://eastoncycling.com/...s/ec90-aero55-wheels
~50g (maybe more depending on ring selection) Lighter Crank: https://power2max.cc/...riant=23375284830266

On the cockpit you might not be able to find something that is as adjustable as the Zipp setup you currently have and be lighter. But you'll likely gain some aero improvements as well as look cleaner by going with something like TriRig's Alpha One.

Anyhow, there are some specific items that will drop almost 650g off your bike for the low retail sum of almost $4K.

ETA: Forgot to account for rings on the crank weights

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Sep 8, 20 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your comments LAI and Ai_1.

Actually, for now, i will train more and try to make myself comfortable in the bike! Maybe this weight will not make difference for my trainning level!

I've searched the options you sent, but here in Brazil we don't find these equipments, and import it don't worth financially.

Anyway, thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
To give you an idea on cost, a saddle that drops a lot of weight (~150g) and still works for most is the Dash. That thing is almost $500. Wheels are another area you could drop (~200g), but you're looking around $2K for an upgrade there. Then you can go after things like the cockpit, but not sure what you might save there for a really adjustable setup. Felt's Bayonet 3 Devox (carbon version) can hit almost any fit, is light, and pretty darn fast....but rare. Good news is most can be had for ~$300, if you can find one. That crank isn't the lightest thing either, but again it's going to take a serious investment there to get lighter, especially if you want a spider based PM. Outside of that I am not sure you're going to gain much by swapping out groupo pieces.

~50g (maybe more depending on ring selection) Lighter Crank: https://power2max.cc/...riant=23375284830266

On the cockpit you might not be able to find something that is as adjustable as the Zipp setup you currently have and be lighter. But you'll likely gain some aero improvements as well as look cleaner by going with something like TriRig's Alpha One.

Anyhow, there are some specific items that will drop almost 650g off your bike for the low retail sum of almost $4K.

One more thing that came to me now!

Do you think it's worth to make tubeless tires? (don't know if the written is correct)
And/or put 23c tires? (actually with 25)
Last edited by: milani: Sep 10, 20 4:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milani wrote:
Do you think it's worth to make tubeless tires? (don't know if the written is correct)
And/or put 23c tires? (actually with 25)

Upgrading to the 5000 tubeless or with latex would be a worthwhile investment and very good bang for the buck. While the older Conti's tended to mount up much larger than their label it seems they run truer to size now. 25 is a good compromise size for most folks.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your hubs are 6 bolt, then ashima ai2 rotors are the lightest and cheap. Regarding the seat, I have a saevid which is like 70 grams and costs 140 euro. I have found that the harder the seat, the better for my arse.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervélo P-Series! [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
If your hubs are 6 bolt, then ashima ai2 rotors are the lightest and cheap. Regarding the seat, I have a saevid which is like 70 grams and costs 140 euro. I have found that the harder the seat, the better for my arse.

I think it's 5 bolt hub. Found them in many shops here, and really cheap and light (140g less both)

Never saw this saddle, really light! I will search if it available here!

Thks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milani wrote:
I dont know if it's my impression, but i noticed the bike a little heavy when carrying it - 9,8kg with pedals.

Are you planning on carrying your bike over the run course? Seriously, weight almost doesn't matter, aero does so stop caring about weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:

Actually I think you could probably accomplish those weight savings for LESS money than paying retail for a stock bike.
Quote Reply