Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIM bike leg power
Quote | Reply
Saw the results from HIM Gdynia last weekend. A Neopro Magnus Ditlev beat Frodeno, and had what I think is an impressive bikeleg. His trainer states an average power of 380w, forblittle less than two hours. The run was a bit slow at 1h16m

How good are these numbers, and can he be a contender at long course?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
380w for a half is massive. Did Frodo race? Saw Lange was 3rd. Seems like most pros are in the 300-325w range with top tier pros hitting 340+ Obviously weight is more of a factor on hillier courses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading that Alistair Brownlee's FTP was around 400, if this is the case 380w for 2 hours is massive / seems way too high
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
I remember reading that Alistair Brownlee's FTP was around 400, if this is the case 380w for 2 hours is massive / seems way too high

Agree it seems high (i don't now hi weight). I got it from this article (try google translate: https://www.dr.dk/...e-anede-hvem-han-var)
It is a nice story, where Magnus is beating his idol, Patrick Lange. At the goalline Patrick asks Magnus "who the fuck are you" :-)

The power number, is from his trainer, stating Magnus were doing 300 W in average, winning european championchip i HIM 2 years ago. At GDynia it was "in the area of 380 W" and his power numbers are more like a pro cyclist than a triatlete.

Magnus open 5k time, is 14m 35s. In total the trainer states Magnus is beyond what he as coach thought possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no particular insight into how 380W compares with others, but it's always worth considering PM accuracy and precision (and the measurement location) when comparing power between riders. I'm not confident this is something that's widely understood in discussions on cycling power. It's more than likely that many an involved discussion has been based on spurious data.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's online, so, you never know.

I snooped the Strava account to see outdoors stuff. Looks "legit" but still seemed high. He got a KOM doing 32mph for about 6min at "480w". IMHO, for the pan flat lap it was.........480w seems insanely high for 32mph.

Neither the online or the Strava power seem implausible, but the outdoors piece seems high. I cannot do anything remotely close to that. The few outdoors KOM's I have that are at a speed like that took me only about 420w including some rollers, not pan flat (not for 6min, only like 2 lol).

So, no idea. Maybe we'll wait and see, maybe someone to watch and see race!
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my point really is that assuming power figure are given in good faith, you still don't know how accurate they are. We often don't know quite how accurate our own are either for that matter. So if power figures don't seem plausible or don't line up with the resulting performance, there's always the strong possibility that the power data is questionable.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, however, at the end of the day speed is all we are after as cyclists an a 1:57 HIM bike split is pretty damn good so whatever combination of w/kg and cda this guy has, must be very impressive as he can out-bike most pros. These days, at the highest level, you need a pro-cyclist bike engine, elite runner legs, and maybe varsity swimming level?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM bike leg power [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. I don't disagree with you. Performance is what matters. Power is a fundamental input to that.

I suppose my point is as follows:
It's tempting to analyse the hell out of power data because it appears to be comparable between different athletes and different events. Speed is clearly dependent on terrain and wind, etc, so while it's the goal at the end of the day, it's not always as attractive for discussion purposes especially when comparing ourselves to others. However, although discussions around power are a common and enjoyable feature on ST threads, the potential error in the data used is often ignored. So many of our discussions may not deceive themselves somewhat.
Quote Reply