Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Everyday training wetsuit
Quote | Reply
What’s the best everyday training wetsuit?

Hoping to do more open water swim training this year, local water temps average in the low 50’s. Do people have race suits and practice suits?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday training wetsuit [jungro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xterra makes decent suits for cheap prices. I don't see much of a point in training vs. race suits though (unless you're a pro and need every possible second)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I've found is the nicer wetsuits get you more shoulder flexibility, given its been like 5 years since i bought one some some of that tech may of made it's way to cheaper suits.

Xterra is the first thing that came to mind. I know stud swimmers who use their cheaper model and still fly. I'd just get one of those. If you think it will take a beating daily, you could get one for "practice" and get something else just for races if you wanted but it isn't necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Synergy wetsuit for my training swims. $140 from Amazon for a sleeveless. They do offer a full sleeve but I don’t trust a budget brand to have good shoulder mobility.

I swim outdoors in a pool year round, so I don’t want chlorine compromising my nicer Rokas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best suit is the one that fits you the best. Most manufactures entry level models are good for using everyday, as they are made of thicker (not as fragile) neoprene without as many features like thin arms/shoulders, body panels etc. that break down quicker. Will also be better for the colder temps you are swimming in.
I have a few suits in rotation. My newest suit is my high end full sleeve race only suit (Blueseventy Helix). I use my older full sleeve suit (Nineteen Frequency) as a cooler day/longer swim training suit...and I have a sleeveless (Blueseventy Reaction) suit for warmer days and shorter races. I also have a pair of neoprene shorts for the hot days and pool swims. I get a new suit about every 5-6 years (once the older full sleeve suit is finished) and it goes to the top of the rotation as the race only suit.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the underdog wetsuit company from Hood River, Oregon. Pro-Motion wetsuits. I lake swim from march to october up here in bc, canada. The Powerglide wetsuit i have is durable, having used it for the past five years. since it is a training wetsuit, i like to size up for an easy fit, .

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jungro wrote:
What’s the best everyday training wetsuit?

Hoping to do more open water swim training this year, local water temps average in the low 50’s. Do people have race suits and practice suits?

Thanks

I have a race and a training Maverick x

50 + sessions swimming in chlorine. Still going strong. Not cuts rips etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With water that cold, the B70 thermal helix might be a good (though expensive) bet.

Personally, my "training" wetsuit is my old race wetsuit. Another good option is to buy a used suit (either a previous rental suit from a tri shop, or from ST classifieds). Wetsuits lose value very quickly, so you can get a top end suit quite cheaply.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Zone3 (http://www.zone3.us). We have a great selection for every athlete (beginner to elite). Depending on your experience as a swimmer some models may suit you better than others.

Feel free to shoot me a message and I can give some advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a BlueSeventy Fusion wetsuit from 2013. It was about $200 at the time. I have bought multiple higher end wetsuits since then, and I use those for racing, but the times have not improved much. Meanwhile, the Fusion is my go-to for practice swims, and it is bullet proof. Maybe one little tear I had to fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Everyday training wetsuit [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone — Slowtwitch hasn’t let me down yet!!!
Last edited by: jungro: Aug 1, 21 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my older wetsuit as the training one, and the newer for racing (and a few practices). Had I only the "racing one", I would seek on the classifieds an used one that fits me for training; nevermind about a few "damages", as long as it keeps me warm
Quote Reply