Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: House burned down-where to move? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for offering, kids are out of the house, and the horses/raptors/dogs/cats are at a friend’s ranch in the Watsonville area
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO,

since I'm in a similar situation...
(no, no house burned down but I'm finished with my work in Richmond, Va and want to move on. Want to go to San Diego but struggle with work/life balance costs and look for alternatives)... I've been in Santa Barbara 2 weeks ago and found it VERY touristy. I do want to some city live, good access to international airports but also an area that is good enough for triathlon all year around outside.
My favorites worldwide are San Diego and Mallorca, Spain.

Any thoughts?

THX
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [Christoph0315] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO would be great- but I am a little taken back by the cost there of anything that could be used as a ranch- I guess I could buck up and keep working
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:
SLO would be great- but I am a little taken back by the cost there of anything that could be used as a ranch- I guess I could buck up and keep working

What about the general area around SLO? Santa Maria, Atascadero, Solvang, Santa Ynez? Similar weather but not as trendy as SLO. I used to live in Lompoc, which is a bit rough and not up to speed on comparative prices in the area. You seem to be ok with high taxes and everything else in California but I've spent a good chunk of time over the Summer in areas not too far from NorCal that are fantastic in Idaho, Montana and Utah. Bigger bang for your buck and ranches all around.
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It use to be a joke, "Hey don't move here" (wink wink) ... Now, in all honesty, I'm not sure why anyone would want to move to NorCal in it's current state. (some places more than others) In all it's beauty, there is so much other BS that has piled on here that the weather and beauty does not offset that BS

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes good point, with Covid and tech workers able to work remotely many great places are going up in prices- my with is thinking about eastern Washington near the Idaho border- relatively affordable, close to outdoor recreation and an airport- I am just not excited about the winter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Winter is always a sticky point for warm weather Cali folks ;-) Fortunately I grew up in New England and spent time in other diverse climate regions that I could move to a number of places if the opportunity presents itself. (My wife may be a little harder to convince on some areas+ ;-) If you can create a better quality of life in general, make your $ travel a little farther, and adapt a bit to your surroundings, you WIN!

Good Luck & Stay Safe!

DL

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a warm weather Florida dude who bails out to Montana every winter for 2 months. I would move there except they have Spring (mud) and Autumn (cold and gloomy) to deal with. But skiing has plenty of technology to obsess over and it can be a life-long learning experience. Embrace winter.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somerset or Hunterdon in New Jersey. Beautiful horse country, relatively mild winters, and not prone to conflagrations or shaking ground.

Great riding in the area, an active race scene before COVID, the Jersey Shore. A wealthy state I suppose despite being virtually insolvent and Trenton thinking they can tax their way out of it so lots of amenities etc.
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [Christoph0315] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Christoph0315 wrote:
SLO,

since I'm in a similar situation...
(no, no house burned down but I'm finished with my work in Richmond, Va and want to move on. Want to go to San Diego but struggle with work/life balance costs and look for alternatives)... I've been in Santa Barbara 2 weeks ago and found it VERY touristy. I do want to some city live, good access to international airports but also an area that is good enough for triathlon all year around outside.
My favorites worldwide are San Diego and Mallorca, Spain.

Any thoughts?

THX

I am a San Diego native (63 years). When I was a kid it was a small town of a few hundred thousand. Now it is 10 times that size.
Sure the weather is nice, although getting hotter due to climate change.
You can swim in the ocean, ride along the coast or into the mountains.
BUT traffic is terrible, much like L.A., cost of housing extremely high, drivers are hostile towards cyclists.
When my wife and I go on vacation we go to the central coast (Santa Barbara, Cambria).
The cycling there is much nicer IMO.
I don't think of SB as touristy no more than San Diego, in fact I find it ideal and would move there if I could.
But of course it is even more expensive than San Diego.
But there are other options along the central coast.
Lompoc mentioned above is really quite cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Western and Central North Carolina. Great area and pretty cheap relatively speaking for what you can find there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
move to Cochrane, Alberta, Canada! amazing town for all outdoor sports! cycling, running, mtb, you name it we got!
Quote Reply
Re: House burned down-where to move? [dexterk2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would probably have to some new winter clothes!
Quote Reply

Prev Next