Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April?
Quote | Reply
I was just fit so I know my stack/reach and some other measurements. My current bike is not the best option so I need a bigger frame. My LBS can order me a bike but it won't arrive until March or April. My other option is buying another brand online, which I can still find available. That bike also has slightly better geometry for me (by a couple of centimeters). I think it would be odd to buy online and then ask my LBS to complete the fit (although the fit was $$$), although maybe in current scarce conditions they are more understanding (they literally have zero bikes in the store...not even a kids bike).

Riding my current bike is miserable after 20 miles.

Thoughts from any LBS owners here or others?

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

Riding my current bike is miserable after 20 miles.

I think you answered yourself. Life's too short to ride a crappy-fitting bike for 5-7 months.

Buy the fit from the LBS, and maybe go out of your way to buy other incidentals there at the same time. They should understand.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 8, 20 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I think it would be odd to buy online and then ask my LBS to complete the fit (although the fit was $$$)

Why? You either buy bike from him and he (presumably) applies fit $ toward that purchase, effectively giving you a “free” or he keeps money you paid him for the fit and sets up your new build which based on the fit coordinates he gave you and you separately pay for that build. Either way, he is making money. I would do what you want here. I don’t believe in the mentality of the customer is always right, but I also don’t think the customer should be bending his or her needs/wants to appease the store.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 8, 20 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Economist wrote:
I think it would be odd to buy online and then ask my LBS to complete the fit (although the fit was $$$)

Why? You either buy bike from him and he (presumably) applies fit $ toward that purchase, effectively giving you a “free” or he keeps money you paid him for the fit and sets up your new build which you separately pay for based on the fit coordinates he gave you. Either way, he is making money. I would do what you want here. I don’t believe in the mentality of the customer is always right, but I also don’t think the customer should be bending his or her needs/wants to appease the store.

I may just be lucky but I’ve never once had an issue in over 35 years of active cycling, bringing any brand of bike to a bike shop for any kind of service. I have some off brand bikes and it’s really not an issue.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Economist wrote:

Why? You either buy bike from him and he (presumably) applies fit $ toward that purchase, effectively giving you a “free” or he keeps money you paid him for the fit and sets up your new build which you separately pay for based on the fit coordinates he gave you. Either way, he is making money. I would do what you want here. I don’t believe in the mentality of the customer is always right, but I also don’t think the customer should be bending his or her needs/wants to appease the store.

I may just be lucky but I’ve never once had an issue in over 35 years of active cycling, bringing any brand of bike to a bike shop for any kind of service. I have some off brand bikes and it’s really not an issue.

Same with me. But it obviously isn’t always the case.
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think it would be odd to buy online and then ask my LBS to complete the fit "

A complete fit can be done before receiving a frameset or bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a shop and I would say just get what you want. These are strange times and inventory issues suck. I never enjoy it, but people will want gear that we don’t carry and I’d rather people get stuff they like rather than settle. If you want to support the shop, let them know beforehand and let them build it up. You have no idea how much that will ingratiate you to them, or should, in my opinion. Just don’t get a fezzari.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy a bike I know I can get now rather than a bike I think I can get in 6 or 7 months.

Then again I have no loyalty to any shop around me since none of them carry what I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he doesn’t have any inventory I don’t see how he can say anything. It’s not like you are going to bring in the same bike he has sitting in the shop.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would still need my LBS to swap components on the bikes (my bike is all Di2). So he’d make some $$$ on that. Inventory is crazy scarce.

Quote | Reply
Why don't you move all of the components to the new frameset yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why don't you move all of the components to the new frameset yourself?

For the most part I will. My hydraulic brakes will need to be cut and bleed. So I’ll have them put those on. Which works good because he will have to put them in the right spot per my fit numbers.

Quote | Reply
Beware you may not get it as soon with an online order either.

I purchased a gravel bike the first week of August that was in stock. Still hasn't shipped and when I contacted them last week they said there was a delay and still didn't have them even though they were being sold online as if they were available. The frustration is that this is a big American made direct to consumer company that is big in tri also, so I made the false assumption that I would have it sooner than my LBS who couldn't get a gravel bike until spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I think it's totally fair for a LBS to be annoyed if you use their services then go buy a bike online to save a few bucks...this isn't that.

There's a bike you can get now that's a better fit -- according to them -- and they can't sell it to you. If they're annoyed by that it's time to look for a new shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can install brakes and put them in the correct position.
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn’t that at all, he paid for the fit so he didn’t use them;-).
And if the online bike is a better fit it is a no brainer.

We see this as well with out fit customers that want to get a Canyon.
I have no problem with that at all. We tell them the right size, what’s wrong or good with the components (mostly too long cranks in tri) and they can buy their bike.
If they want us too assemble it to their fit coordinates, no problem. We take that money as well.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: I know fit numbers...buy online and get bike now or LBS and get bike in April? [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you would have taken a closer look in their FAQ’s you could have read that if you want exact delivery dates you need to reach out to them pre purchase.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply