Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We have a local half marathon that goes by my house at about mile 11. I was in the middle of catching and passing a guy who has been running alone for at least half a mile when we passed my house. My wife and kids are in the front yard and scream out "Run faster, you are embarrassing us!".

That's hilarious!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Are you in your 60+? Shouldn't be that much of a dropoff before that even for 25 year differential. I'm 25+ years from my 18 yr old self, and sure, while I never really 'maxxed' my run training in x-country HS, I'm faster now than I was back then, despite being 20 lbs heavier. I don't think I'll hit my age 30 maxxed PRs (done on up to 100mpw running) but it's not a matter of age there, it's a matter of lack of run-specific training.

"Paceshaming" is a word and this quote is the definition. Wow, a 43 year old telling a 60 year old "you too slow.". D'Kid, whoever she is, would light you up and you would deserve it.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter is a Senior in college and is the head of her schools cycling club. She lives with a bunch of cross country skiers and runners. They refer nonchalantly to other students and people in their school as “NARPS” which apparently stands for Non Athletic Regular Person.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see NARPs is still in use, been almost ten years since I left college lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Are you in your 60+? Shouldn't be that much of a dropoff before that even for 25 year differential. I'm 25+ years from my 18 yr old self, and sure, while I never really 'maxxed' my run training in x-country HS, I'm faster now than I was back then, despite being 20 lbs heavier. I don't think I'll hit my age 30 maxxed PRs (done on up to 100mpw running) but it's not a matter of age there, it's a matter of lack of run-specific training.

"Paceshaming" is a word and this quote is the definition. Wow, a 43 year old telling a 60 year old "you too slow.". D'Kid, whoever she is, would light you up and you would deserve it.

LOL Zombie thread alert!

You also missed point of my thread which isn't about absolute pace, but the WAVA-adjusted realities of potential pace slowdowns as well as the followup reply about yeah, things to get slower in that range at age 60!
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
LOL Zombie thread alert!

"Zombie Thread?" Dr. Tigerchik posted after only a two & a half month hiatus

That's barely dead, and even if it was so, it's still warm

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
We have a local half marathon that goes by my house at about mile 11. I was in the middle of catching and passing a guy who has been running alone for at least half a mile when we passed my house. My wife and kids are in the front yard and scream out "Run faster, you are embarrassing us!".

That's hilarious!

I must've missed that post, or I would've replied with ...

RandMart wrote:
Reminds me of a great moment in American Literature

Quote:
We jumped off the radio van at Wilbur's and immediately set up a full wet-bar and Command Center next to the curb and for the next few minutes we just stood there in the rain and heaped every conceivable kind of verbal abuse on the Runners coming up.

"You're doomed, man, you'll never make it."

"Hey, fat boy, how about a beer?"

"Run, you silly bastard."

"Lift those legs."

"Eat shit and die," was Skinner's favorite.

One burly runner in the front ranks snarled back at him, "I'll see you on the way back."

"No, you won't. You'll never make it back. You won't even finish! You'll collapse."

It was a rare kind of freedom to belch any kind of cruel and brutal insult that came to mind because the idea of anybody stopping to argue was out of the question. Here was this gang of degenerates hunkered down by the side of the racecourse with TV sets, beach umbrellas, cases of beer and whiskey, loud music and wild women, smoking cigarettes.

HST - The Curse of Lono, 1983

I apologize for my oversight

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Classic. I still have the Running magazine issue in which the HST article on the Honolulu Marathon was originally published.

I first encountered pace shaming while running my first marathon at age 19. I had trained sporadically for a couple of months before the marathon. I had read Tom Osler's book which was popular at the time ('78) which suggested walking breaks during training. This was before Galloway's books.

I planned to stop to walk for 5 minutes every 3 miles as I'd been doing on my long runs in training. The 3 mile mark of the course was in a seedy area of downtown Cleveland and when I started to walk a bum (a common term in the '70s) yelled at me for walking so soon. I immediately started running again and changed my strategy to slowing the pace but not stopping again to walk. Of course, I'm guessing I've ended up walking at some point in the majority of my nearly 40 marathons (including IMs).
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 9, 20 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Classic. I still have the Running magazine issue in which the HST article on the Honolulu Marathon was originally published.

YES! Which became The Curse Of Lono

Were the Steadman illustrations in there too?

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some years ago - nevermind how long precisely - I was on my way back to the house part of my run; about half a mile to go. It was just after 6AM. I stopped at the red light to cross the highway

A big, loud pickup truck pulled up next to me as I was waiting. A work truck with side compartments rattling and the smell of diesel, and coffee & donuts

Please note: I was NOT jogging in place*

"Run, pussy!" the guy in the passenger seat said to me, with an accompanying chuckle from the driver ["heh-heh, good one!"]

Just at that moment - like a gift from God - an attractive young woman whom I know from church crossed in front of the truck

"Hi, Randy!" she called as she smiled and waved to me, her ponytail bouncing joyfully in the morning sun

I turned, looked back at the truck and replied - in a language the contractors would understand - "I run FOR pussy!!!" as I ran off for an extra loop with my friend

* Some years later - I got around to making stickers to put on all the streetlight poles in town

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
RandMart wrote:
A new word [maybe?] that D'Kid made up last night while we were walking around the track

I merely shouted back to my buddy "C'mon, dude!!! You can run faster than that!"
"Dad! Don't pace-shame!!!" she hissed

all I ever do is pace-shame myself. this is why I don't run anymore. I couldn't handle all of the negative pace shaming.

Ditto, my own worst critic!
Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw more than one meme yesterday, as a matter of fact, saying something like: "'Forward' is a Pace"

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boschery wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
all I ever do is pace-shame myself. this is why I don't run anymore. I couldn't handle all of the negative pace shaming.

Ditto, my own worst critic!

Whenever I come in a little slower than I planned, I just say "That wasn't so bad. You can do better tomorrow"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclocross has the best shaming.

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Cyclocross has the best shaming.

Dude definitely brought note cards with him

< shuffles cards >

This one looks good

< screams >

"Beat these sea-level people!!!"

< tosses card >

Loved the pass, and the echo that went with it ... thoroughly underscored that Rob's race was well over ... Rob's no quitter, though

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart

I also deleted Strava! I had had it with the 'showing off' and being one-upped (or maybe it was my perception...) by other athletes that I knew were not that fast. There is a way to change your workouts in Garmin and/or Strava so they look better. I wasn't going to resort to that so I just deleted the app and my account all together. It has been refreshing to not worry about how my workouts look on Strava! Not to mention the lack of privacy on Strava, etc.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

"Run, pussy!" the guy in the passenger seat said to me, with an accompanying chuckle from the driver ["heh-heh, good one!"]

Just at that moment - like a gift from God - an attractive young woman whom I know from church crossed in front of the truck

"Hi, Randy!" she called as she smiled and waved to me, her ponytail bouncing joyfully in the morning sun

I turned, looked back at the truck and replied - in a language the contractors would understand - "I run FOR pussy!!!" as I ran off for an extra loop with my friend

Hard to beat that story. :)

Yes, there were Steadman illustrations including a full front cover.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 9, 20 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I was gonna put those guys in as well!!!

Quote Reply
Re: "Pace-Shaming" [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat_Kong wrote:
cmart

I also deleted Strava! I had had it with the 'showing off' and being one-upped (or maybe it was my perception...) by other athletes that I knew were not that fast. There is a way to change your workouts in Garmin and/or Strava so they look better. I wasn't going to resort to that so I just deleted the app and my account all together. It has been refreshing to not worry about how my workouts look on Strava! Not to mention the lack of privacy on Strava, etc.....

When I was down the shore last month, I found STRAVA to be incredibly inaccurate where GPS/Wifi is sketchy; there was no fucking way I ran that mile in 5-minutes-and-something

I know my local routes, and when I should be hitting my markers [with and WITHOUT waiting for stoplights] and what makes a good day or a not so good day

I generally only use STRAVA now to map out our slow AF family bike rides for all to see where we've been that day; or if I go exploring on a run, which usually includes stopping for pix, which skews my pace from slow-ish to slower

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Kat_Kong wrote:
cmart

When I was down the shore last month, I found STRAVA to be incredibly inaccurate where GPS/Wifi is sketchy; there was no fucking way I ran that mile in 5-minutes-and-something

Well if you track your run with your watch, a file with GPS data is created by the watch. Strava only uses this file. So it can't be more or less accurate than what has been tracked by the watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same with the Strava app on my phone? Because the map it generated said I was zipping across the street and running down alleys & such at incredible speed?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Same with the Strava app on my phone? Because the map it generated said I was zipping across the street and running down alleys & such at incredible speed?

Well, if you track with the watch and also with your phone, both devices might track differently. There's quite a variance with gps accuracy between devices
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, no GPS watch
Also, no power meters
Nor indoor trainer
Nor treadmill

Nor PowerDot, TheraGun, nor any other of the dozens of devices people seem to NEED to train with

New thread, perhaps? "Tech-Shaming?"

Judge Smails : Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb : Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails : Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb : By height.

In which case, I score fairly low

Quote Reply

Prev Next