Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Rash: What do you do?
Quote | Reply
Took a spill on Monday and have some nice road rash on my hip. I've got some Tegaderm film on order, but in the meantime, just keeping it covered with gauze/Neosporin.

There seems to be lots of differing opinions on what to do and what works best. Everything from just clean with soap and water vs hydrogen peroxide to manuka honey to nothing with Duoderm.

What do you use? What have to tried that didn't work so well?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soap and a toothbrush to really get in there. Then Neosporin and bandage
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Soap and a toothbrush to really get in there. Then Neosporin and bandage

Given you have tegaderm on order I think this is the best recommendation. If you are worried you put on too much ointment, you have just the correct amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about Tegaderm or other similar products, but DuoDerm is amazing. Highly recommend. You'll be shocked how quickly it heals.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know! Got some duoderm coming next week, but I feel like by then it won't be very useful.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Good to know! Got some duoderm coming next week, but I feel like by then it won't be very useful.

It will be, even after two weeks or so

Three things to watch out for: 1) the hydrocolloidal stuff (e.g. duoderm) could (and often does) ooze, so cover the edges with non-adhering covering, 2) it really stinks, and 3) it leaves quite a bit of residue (more than non-adhereing covering)

But it really does promote healing and reduce scarring, and one could leave it on for 3 days before changing it out. Certainly better (when it comes to wound healing) than non-adhering covering

Also, Tegaderm is kinda useless when applied to a region with a lot of movement
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Soap and a toothbrush to really get in there.

I hurt so badly when I read this - ouch, ouch, ouch!

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Took a spill on Monday ...

Screaming Tortise Rule #20:

If you should lose your balance completely and hit the deck, never say “I fell down”

One must always say “I collided with a planet” or, even better “I was running/riding along, minding my own business, when a planet jumped up and ran into me. I simply shoved it back into place, and carried on along my way"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Took a spill on Monday and have some nice road rash on my hip. I've got some Tegaderm film on order, but in the meantime, just keeping it covered with gauze/Neosporin.

There seems to be lots of differing opinions on what to do and what works best. Everything from just clean with soap and water vs hydrogen peroxide to manuka honey to nothing with Duoderm.

What do you use? What have to tried that didn't work so well?

I am able to buy tegaderm locally from a medical supply company in town. Depending on how large a town you're in you might want to search for medical supply companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's bad, I've had great luck with Silver Sulfadiazine for preventing infection.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:
Soap and a toothbrush to really get in there.

I hurt so badly when I read this - ouch, ouch, ouch!

Crazy Glue & duct tape

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquaphor healing ointment is my go-to solution for road rash. It greatly accelerates the healing process for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neosporin and bandage until it stops weeping, then switch to tegraderm for the duration. Pretty standard. With sweating/showering, the tegraderm needs to be replaced every day or two.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a great article done a few years ago here on road rash: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...tive_Guide_6444.html

My main role is in infectious disease but I'm also certified in wound care. Make sure you clean wound. Tap water is fine but if you want to be extra careful you can use saline. Peroxide is cytotoxic (i.e. will also kill healthy tissue). Get some topical lidocaine to help if it is painful doing dressing changes. I am also not a fan of topical antibiotics. Use a product that has antibacterial properties. Xeroform is available at some pharmacies. It also doesn't still as much so easier to remove. Honey is also great but you need medical grade one, some pharmacies sell honey impregnated gauze. Don't use duoderm or anything occlusive if you have significant drainage. I always educate my patients that you treat wounds like a plant. They can't be too wet or too dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge Manuka honey fan. The stuff is magic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used tegaderm on my worst patch, it was kinda magical - healed over in a week or so, other smaller patches treated with neosporin/gauze took another week or more to heal up..
Quote Reply
Re: Road Rash: What do you do? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
self-debridement is the key prior to using colloidal dressings.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first week I didn't have anything on it, and then the shorts chafing on a long run pretty much ripped the scab off....dont do that. Tegaderm worked pretty well for me but needed changed like every 2 days on the hip because of all the chafing against fabrics and stuff.
Eventually by the 13/14 day mark i got fed up and put some liquid bandage on it. Not sure if i would recommend but i was able to swim again without it softening up.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply