Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help, why so slow on 275 watts? [runbrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, your position on your time trial bike is probably way off.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, why so slow on 275 watts? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25mm.

Thanks for the tip about CO2, I did not know that. I usually just use a mini pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, why so slow on 275 watts? [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I wanted to report back with an update. I rode the same loop today, windier day today, but used my tri bike. I have a 2009 Felt B16, stock wheels, Victoria 23mm tires with Butyl tubes. I ended up averaging 268 watts and 23.1 mph for 10 miles. So about 2.5 mph faster than my road bike on less watts. I have the P1 pedals on the tri bike, left side only.
Echoing everyone else about something being off. And, I thought I would add a reference data point from a race last year...

Gulf Coast 70.3 ride, which is nearly flat but had a little wind. I was about the same weight you are now. I am not highly optimized in my position, but probably above average. My bike was a Felt IA and equipment that was highly optimized: 90mm/disc wheels; GP5000 with latex; Tririg cockpit & brakes; high-end sleeved trisuit; aero helmet).

I rode 22.7 MPH on 214 W average power and 216 W net power.

I rode in the ballpark of your speed with 54 fewer watts. My equipment would account for some of the difference, but not that much. I suspect that you have a power meter inaccuracy (high left-side bias) or major fit issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, why so slow on 275 watts? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. That is a very fast bike split for 70.3 Nice work.

I am not fit well at all on the tri bike. I am not able to get that low of an angle in the aerobars. But I also think the left side only PM is the issue. When I was working with a coach a few years ago, I was doing one leg drills on the trainer. Even though I am right handed, I was much stronger and smoother pedaling with my left leg compared to my right. So I am definitely stronger on that side. I suspect if I had a PM that measured both sides, I would come up with a lot lower power numbers.

At least with the two PM that I have, they are both left side only so they appear to be consistent. For training purposes that is more important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree this is probably a combination of the left side only reading high, and needing to optimize some equipment choices and position.

Last night I did another rip on my road bike, as said before my position is pretty aggressive, but no aero bars, standard aggreswsive road fit, skin suit but more just a generic custom shop job, nothing optimized ( not even particularly tight ) and an aero road helmet, GP5000 with latex tubes etc. Old non aero frame.

244 watts netted me an average 22.4 mph on the road bike, with traffic light stops, slowing for cars, and a couple hilly sections accounting for ~2500 feet climbed over 100 km.

Powertap hub seems to usually be pretty accurate, and being at the wheel can account for full power to the wheel rather than doubling a single leg.

For training you're great, but at the end of the day it's going to come down to not necessarily comparing power numbers, and instead looking at how aero and efficient you can get, while still building fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I am frustrated with how slow I am and wanted to see if anyone had some answers. Here is the data from a ride I recently did.

Weight 177 lbs
Bike 2020 Tarmac with stock wheels and tires
PM Stages left side only crank, installed when I bought the bike in May.
Distance 10 miles, rolling hills, nothing too steep at all.
Avg Speed 20.6 mph
Avg watts 275
NP 280

My ftp is 285. I would guess the effort level at 80%. I could have easily maintained 275 watts for over an hour and probably closer to two hours. I cannot figure out why I am so slow on that kind of power. I wore a cycling jersey and shorts, just regular cycling gear, nothing too loose fitting. I rode the hoods like I normally do on the road bike.

Is my PM likely reading way too high? When I rode the trainer all Winter, I used P-1 pedals, left side only, and my ftp slowly increased from 240 to 260. Once I got outside and started using the Tarmac, my ftp went up to 275 and then the last test it went to 285. I held 300 watts for twenty minutes in a test done a few weeks ago. Normally my VO2 max intervals are in the 300-315 watts range.

Haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone has answered with this.

If your FTP is 285 & you felt like the effort was 80%, I'm tipping issues with your PM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next