Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Will be in Galveston this weekend and wanted to try out salt water open water swimming (sorry for being redundant). Does anybody have any recommendations for spots?
Originally I DNF my first 70.3 attempt due to many reasons, one of which was terrible swim anxiety and a shock jumping in the water and having that salty sensation that I don't normally get while swimming at a nearby lake. Later I did complete 70.3 Waco for a bit of redemption.

I have so much less swim anxiety now and definitely want to get a swim in just to test myself. It doesn't have to be a 1.2mi swim, just some place I can prove to myself I can come back to this race and finish what I started.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this specific to training for the Texas 70.3? You can’t swim in Offatts Bayou behind Moody Gardens (Texas 70.3 swim location). Only time you’re allowed to swim there is race day.

Otherwise, just pick one of the beaches off the Seawall (like Jamaica) or Stewart Beach up on the north end of the island. The issue with swimming in one of the Gulf beaches compared to Offatts Bayou is how much more waves and currents you’ll find. The Gulf is a lot more violent for lack of a better word. I’ve been to Galveston at least 50x and Ive found the Gulf beaches to not be very hospitable for open water swimming. They’re fine for leisurely beach activities but the waves are always a bit rough for OWS, and I’m a good OW swimmer. Maybe not bad the days you’re there but that’s really never been my experience. But if you can swim in the Gulf the Bayou would be easy. 😁

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 9, 20 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Is this specific to training for the Texas 70.3? You can’t swim in Offatts Bayou behind Moody Gardens (Texas 70.3 swim location). Only time you’re allowed to swim there is race day.

Otherwise, just pick one of the beaches off the Seawall (like Jamaica) or Stewart Beach up on the north end of the island. The issue with swimming in one of the Gulf beaches compared to Offatts Bayou is how much more waves and currents you’ll find. The Gulf is a lot more violent for lack of a better word. But if you can swim in the Gulf the Bayou would be easy.

It's definitely not "specific" to Texas 70.3. More of a prove to myself salt water won't bother me in the future as it did in the past. I did notice the waves and was trying to see if there's any other alternatives not off the Seawall. I did some Googling and found a Galveston Island State Park #2 but I don't know if the waves and currents are the same as in/around Seawall blvd.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I added a bit to my post.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was down there a few weeks ago. The park should be great, fewer people but really almost anywhere would be fine.

What I did was swim out past the sandbars then swam parallel to the beach. The waves are so small that there isn't much point in spending time swimming out through the surf. Since the beach curves so much, you can pick out a building or water tower in the distance to practice siting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bay side of the state park might be a good option, come to think of it.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 9, 20 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. Seems the family is leaning towards making Galveston a go-to vacation spot so as in all vacations, I want to make to make the most of it including training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Thanks for that. Seems the family is leaning towards making Galveston a go-to vacation spot so as in all vacations, I want to make to make the most of it including training.

Just my opinion... Galveston sucks and sucks hard. The beaches are awful compared to going further south in Texas (South Padre area, Corpus/Aransas area).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Chan wrote:

Just my opinion... Galveston sucks and sucks hard. The beaches are awful compared to going further south in Texas (South Padre area, Corpus/Aransas area).

Somehow my family seems to have more fun in Galveston than Corpus. One big plus is being able to rent a condo off Seawall and walk to the beach, especially with little kids. I do love South Padre but it's definitely a longer drive for us. I do know what you mean and I don't disagree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up, please check Texas Beach Watch (https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/#loc=9) for fecal bacteria levels before you go swimming. Sometimes they are dangerously high, particularly around the Surfside Jetty.

If you would like a swim partner I might be able to head down for a dip (work/daycare schedule dependent)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Just a heads up, please check Texas Beach Watch (https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/#loc=9) for fecal bacteria levels before you go swimming. Sometimes they are dangerously high, particularly around the Surfside Jetty.

If you would like a swim partner I might be able to head down for a dip (work/daycare schedule dependent)

Didn't know this existed!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Open Water Swimming In Galveston Recommendations [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there last weekend. I just get a swim buoy and swim all the way out and back in the ocean. You can go to any beach south or Moody Garden and swim. You can't swim close to Pleasure Pier and surrounding area. It's shallow, so pretty safe to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to finding a spot to swim on the bay side. The gulf side is almost always too choppy for comfortable swimming, on top of rip currents, especially since the OP mentioned anxiety from swimming in salt water.

And of course swim with a safety buoy.
Quote Reply