Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nutrition preference
Quote | Reply
Curious to see which nutrition brands are preferred among the slowtwitch athletes. I've always used Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize for my protein and Scivation Xtend for my BCAAs when I lifted in the past. TImes have changed and I've been cycling and swimming more as I train for upcoming events. I've always been curious to try Xendurance, SIS, or Pinnacle Nutrition Group (just came across them). I've never used gel packs for energy. I know SIS is well used and PNG appears to be as well. I've been researching the various gel packets with the sodium and carb content, and then the electrolytes for endurance and recovery. Just curious, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [realest777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've nailed down my 70.3 formula with carb loading the day before, then eating not hard to process foods in the morning (crackers, sugars, chocolate, redbull) and jacking up my caffeine race morning to crap out as much as possible. Then I usually only just peeing for the whole race.

Then race on 100mg Clif Gels on the bike and oranges and bananas in the run. I'd race with more gels on the run if it wasn't hot.

I've only done one 140.6 and wish that I put something high calorie in the bag like pizza or a burger or something as I felt in a severe calorie deficit. Probably cold cheese pizza would have been nice to munch on while running. I know the fans cheering would love to see someone jogging eating a slice of pizza. A tent of volunteers actually ordered Pizza in the 140.6 and I wanted to ask for a slice, but they didn't put any out for the people.

The Papa Johns and Bud Light post Augusta 70.3 is always delicious.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use almost exclusively Skratch when training/racing along with Clif's shot blocks.

But I was gifted some gels from a company called Born... and I couldn't be more impressed. https://bornnorthamerica.com/collections/all

The flavors are odd, but they absolutely work. (The mint lime flavor is oddly refreshing.) The gels are a little less viscous and don't require gulping a bunch of water for digestion.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Aug 7, 20 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutrition for after training? Or while racing?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both actually. Just seeing what peeps use. I've read about Skratch and Endurox through some slowtwitch forum searches. I try and use quality products over over-marketed products, so I'll be checking out the Born supplements that were mentioned. I've also come across Tailwind through sponsored instagram posts, so I'll check that out too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danepak.
Non smoked. Rindless.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok. More seriously.

For full distance race (and remember I'm a plodder not a pointy end racer)...

Night before... pasta and chicken with some cream based sauce.
I find the cream / slightly alkaline stuff easier on my stomach than say anything with tomatoes.

Morning. A big bowl of cereal - usually oaty granola of some kind.
Lots of coffee.

15 mins efore swim - a gel. I usually use Torq gels on races as I can stomach them OK and they're less bulky than all the isotonic tyre of gels from some other brands. Rhubarb and Custard flavour. Yum.

Bike - combo of the torq qels and also I'll put clif bar in the bento box. Sometimes after the swim I feel I want something 'solid' to settle my stomach from any rank water I've sucked in. I can't handle bananas - make me get indigestion and ain't to heave. I mainly take the water for bottles. Defo nothing I've not used before if energy drinks. I find most of them too acidic or too plastic tasting(.

Run. Torq gels but also if the feed stations have them, crisps (potato chips to you Anericans) or salty crackers as I'm usually past much more sweet shiiite by mile 10.
Water and occasional flat coke. (Km usually not a fan of coke but will sometimes have some when on the latter part of the mara

Best feed station ever... I got passed a ham sandwich at the Lakesman one year from one of the feed station volunteers about 16 miles into the run. Think it was out of volunteer lunch picnic box. It was the best thing ever and perked me up for miles afterwards.

I'm lucky to never have had much of a gut problem on events. Maybe I don't try hard enough!

And its not stooopid hot where I am so no need for extra salt tabs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After training, I like to eat food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a big fan of First Endurance and Gu products.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
After training, I like to eat food.

Said like the true king you are.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
The gels are a little less viscous and don't require gulping a bunch of water for digestion.

Thanks, that's good to know. I still like to drink after a gel, no matter the brand. It removes the residue from your teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any generic brand of maltodextrin and on course electrolytes and whatever they have supplied at aid stations.Anything longer than Ironman or each stage of an Ultraman style event then more real food is added to the menu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evening before pasta.
Morning pancakes and a coffee.
Bike first hour 2 powerbars (no liquid to avoid having to urinate)
After that on the bike every 15 minutes a powerbar-gel; same on the run: every 15 minutes a powerbar-gel.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Aug 9, 20 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used tailwind the past two years and have really enjoyed it. I used infinit a while too but couldn’t bring myself to keep paying that much. A group ride had tailwind out at the aid stations and I’ve been using it since.

My go to gel lately have been the Clif shot mocha with caffeine. Love that stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last Saturday I did the new Ironman Canada course using only F2C glycodurance. No gels. No solid food. No gut issues. Solid energy. Didn't taste like crap after 90 minutes in the heat of the day.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Last Saturday I did the new Ironman Canada course using only F2C glycodurance. No gels. No solid food. No gut issues. Solid energy. Didn't taste like crap after 90 minutes in the heat of the day.

Have been using F2C Glyco-Durance for the last year and it's been great. Usually mix the unflavoured with the some of the flavoured stuff to make high calorie bottles that aren't too sweet. Great product.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if the stuff is avail. in the USA? I know they are big in places other than Canada.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Just wondering if the stuff is avail. in the USA? I know they are big in places other than Canada.

I'm in Canada and can't speak for certain, but the online store does have options for the US and Europe, so it can be purchased and shipped there. Not sure if it shows up in stores down there at all, probably depends where you are, but I've only every purchased online.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last few years have been on a mix of Infinit and CarboRocket products. We're sponsored by CarboRocket but I can only handle it for ~6hrs +/- while others have no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realest777 wrote:
Curious to see which nutrition brands are preferred among the slowtwitch athletes. I've always used Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize for my protein and Scivation Xtend for my BCAAs when I lifted in the past. TImes have changed and I've been cycling and swimming more as I train for upcoming events. I've always been curious to try Xendurance, SIS, or Pinnacle Nutrition Group (just came across them). I've never used gel packs for energy. I know SIS is well used and PNG appears to be as well. I've been researching the various gel packets with the sodium and carb content, and then the electrolytes for endurance and recovery. Just curious, thanks!

Use table sugar for 80% of intra-workout carbs. Pick something like Gatorade or any other carb/sugar beverage of your choice to add flavor. This approach keeps flavor lighter and moves the dial more towards a more optimal 1:1 glucose to fructose ratio. And it's WAY cheaper.

Use table salt rather than expensive higher-electrolyte endurance drink mixes. In more extreme cases (hotter, more humid, very long-duration and high-effort) you may need to make a one-time purchase of sodium citrate (Amazon) to meet high sodium needs while allowing maximum hydration with reduced osmolarity.

Cost for table salt = less than $0.01 per 2000 mg sodium (sufficient for most folks 2-3-hr training, ~1 tsp)
Cost for sodium citrate = $0.10 per 2000mg sodium serving (~1.75 tsp).
Cheapest Gatorade Endurance Powder = $2.75 per 2000mg sodium.

Skip gels & chews altogether.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Alex's approach, though I have not tried it. I think I will do that.

I have a friend who is experimenting with unconventional fueling and a few things he's tried are instant mashed potatoes, gravy, and even real baked potatoes. I had a look at the gravy nutrition and one pack of McCormick Mushroom Gravy has 1,000mg of sodium!

I tend to take three things for races:

1. Carbs = UCAN, Hammer Perpetuem, PURE, or CarboPro have all worked nicely for me
2. Sodium = I race in hot climates and humidity (SE Asia) and have both a high sweat rate and a high rate of sodium loss per litre of sweat (1,400mg per l). The highest concentration of sodium I have found is the UCAN Hydrate; second is Precision Hydration 1500. On the run, especially in a full Ironman, I'll bring the PH 1500 capsules, but on the bike I'll mix it in a bottle.
3. Back-up = I stuff my bento box with gels in case I lose a bottle (it has happened before). At about 100 cal each most are pretty much interchangeable except for the isotonic gels as they have added fluid to reduce the need for you to have to drink water afterwards; however they take up lots of space. I like PURE, Hammer, and SIS especially

Here's a nutrition calculator you can use for your nutrition planning: https://ironmanhacks.com/nutrition-calculator/

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition preference [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patterson wrote:
I like Alex's approach, though I have not tried it. I think I will do that.

I have a friend who is experimenting with unconventional fueling and a few things he's tried are instant mashed potatoes, gravy, and even real baked potatoes. I had a look at the gravy nutrition and one pack of McCormick Mushroom Gravy has 1,000mg of sodium!

I tend to take three things for races:

1. Carbs = UCAN, Hammer Perpetuem, PURE, or CarboPro have all worked nicely for me
2. Sodium = I race in hot climates and humidity (SE Asia) and have both a high sweat rate and a high rate of sodium loss per litre of sweat (1,400mg per l). The highest concentration of sodium I have found is the UCAN Hydrate; second is Precision Hydration 1500. On the run, especially in a full Ironman, I'll bring the PH 1500 capsules, but on the bike I'll mix it in a bottle.
3. Back-up = I stuff my bento box with gels in case I lose a bottle (it has happened before). At about 100 cal each most are pretty much interchangeable except for the isotonic gels as they have added fluid to reduce the need for you to have to drink water afterwards; however they take up lots of space. I like PURE, Hammer, and SIS especially

Here's a nutrition calculator you can use for your nutrition planning: https://ironmanhacks.com/nutrition-calculator/

Love it. If you want to tinker with the sodium content and see just how high you can push it, per L, you can add sodium citrate to any of those beverages. Sweet calculator by the way. FYI: Sodium Citrate has about 1000mg sodium per tsp. Table salt is about 2000mg sodium per tsp. Can get Sodium Citrate on Amazon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
realest777 wrote:

Use table sugar for 80% of intra-workout carbs. Pick something like Gatorade or any other carb/sugar beverage of your choice to add flavor. This approach keeps flavor lighter and moves the dial more towards a more optimal 1:1 glucose to fructose ratio. And it's WAY cheaper.

Use table salt rather than expensive higher-electrolyte endurance drink mixes. In more extreme cases (hotter, more humid, very long-duration and high-effort) you may need to make a one-time purchase of sodium citrate (Amazon) to meet high sodium needs while allowing maximum hydration with reduced osmolarity.

Cost for table salt = less than $0.01 per 2000 mg sodium (sufficient for most folks 2-3-hr training, ~1 tsp)
Cost for sodium citrate = $0.10 per 2000mg sodium serving (~1.75 tsp).
Cheapest Gatorade Endurance Powder = $2.75 per 2000mg sodium.

Skip gels & chews altogether.

This is interesting, never considered table sugar or salt. Will research this further, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome! Curious if you've tried it yet. Seems to work phenomenally for me on the bike.

I need to experiment more on the run. Just haven't yet due to return from long-term foot injury. More mileage and experimentation coming soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
You're welcome! Curious if you've tried it yet. Seems to work phenomenally for me on the bike.

I need to experiment more on the run. Just haven't yet due to return from long-term foot injury. More mileage and experimentation coming soon.

Unfortunately, I have not. I've either strained my IT band or I have hamstring tendonitis. The weather's turned by me and I haven't ridden outside much, and a recent ride resulted in significant pain on the outside of my left knee. I noticed the pain before, but it was manageable until now. I'm resting it to see how that responds, otherwise I need to have it checked out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next