Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13
Quote | Reply
The Esprit triathlons are "on" next weekend in Montreal Quebec: Full and Half of Saturday, Sprint and Olympic on Sunday.

Swim in Olympic rowing basic, bike loops on F1 track, run loops around Olympic basin.

Strict rules about being 2m apart. 4 swimmers starting every 5 seconds spaced 2m wide.

We just got an email asking half IM participants if any want to transfer to the Olympic or Sprint or get a refund and 15% off for next year, because local authorities will only allow 250 cyclists at a time on the 4 km F1 track. They need 80 volunteers to transfer (so it sounds like there are 330 of us registered). If we were all evenly spaced in a line up it would be 16m between riders, but the track is something like 4 conventional cars wide.

In any case, it looks like things are on. Its the first and only race this year in this part of Canada, so let's see what shakes out.

In the athletes guide its basically no frills everything. Show up with a mask, rack your stuff in you 2m distanced spot, keep your mask on, go to swim start, no swim warmup, race, cross finish line, they give you a mask, you go immediately back to your transition spot, grab your stuff, go home and wait to see your results on Sportstats.

Here is an aerial view of the venue: Swim in rectangular body of water, bike on road to its left, run loops around the rectangle

I have done the half and olympic around 20 times since 1988. Its hosted ITU World's in 1999, Nationals several times and was also supposed to be site of the ITU WCS Montreal (relocated for Covid19 safety from general public) until that race got cancelled by organizers due to International travel in Canada.

In any case, its as contained a triathlon stadium as you can get which makes it generally a great venue, but one of the feasible ones with Covid19 (can also limit how many people show up onsite).

So far everything is on. Now have to decide if I cross my fingers that 80 people change out of the half, or move myself to the Olympic (not really in shape to do a fast olympic, but can plod through a half as I have been doing volume but not much speed).

Its also a minimal contact race for me. Eat dinner at home, drive solo to hotel 5km from race start, go to sleep, eat breakfast that I got from home, get on my bike and roll to race start, finish race, ride back to car at hotel, get in and drive 2 hrs home.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 5, 20 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the same email. I really hope I get to compete the Half. I registered late and I'm scared I might not make the cut if they do not get enough volunteers. There is also the Full IM starting right before the half. I wonder if they got a similar email? Last news I got there were around 40 athletes registered for it, maybe more by now. We would all be on the bike course at the same time.

I just looked at the weather. Forecast is 18 degrees and 20mm of rain. This might convince a few to cancel.
Last edited by: Charles_D: Sep 5, 20 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The Esprit triathlons are "on" next weekend in Montreal Quebec: Full and Half of Saturday, Sprint and Olympic on Sunday.

Swim in Olympic rowing basic, bike loops on F1 track, run loops around Olympic basin.

Strict rules about being 2m apart. 4 swimmers starting every 5 seconds spaced 2m wide.

We just got an email asking half IM participants if any want to transfer to the Olympic or Sprint or get a refund and 15% off for next year, because local authorities will only allow 250 cyclists at a time on the 4 km F1 track. They need 80 volunteers to transfer (so it sounds like there are 330 of us registered). If we were all evenly spaced in a line up it would be 16m between riders, but the track is something like 4 conventional cars wide.

In any case, it looks like things are on. Its the first and only race this year in this part of Canada, so let's see what shakes out.

In the athletes guide its basically no frills everything. Show up with a mask, rack your stuff in you 2m distanced spot, keep your mask on, go to swim start, no swim warmup, race, cross finish line, they give you a mask, you go immediately back to your transition spot, grab your stuff, go home and wait to see your results on Sportstats.

Here is an aerial view of the venue: Swim in rectangular body of water, bike on road to its left, run loops around the rectangle

I have done the half and olympic around 20 times since 1988. Its hosted ITU World's in 1999, Nationals several times and was also supposed to be site of the ITU WCS Montreal (relocated for Covid19 safety from general public) until that race got cancelled by organizers due to International travel in Canada.

In any case, its as contained a triathlon stadium as you can get which makes it generally a great venue, but one of the feasible ones with Covid19 (can also limit how many people show up onsite).

So far everything is on. Now have to decide if I cross my fingers that 80 people change out of the half, or move myself to the Olympic (not really in shape to do a fast olympic, but can plod through a half as I have been doing volume but not much speed).

Its also a minimal contact race for me. Eat dinner at home, drive solo to hotel 5km from race start, go to sleep, eat breakfast that I got from home, get on my bike and roll to race start, finish race, ride back to car at hotel, get in and drive 2 hrs home.

I did this race with Dev in 2008, it's a FAST track!!! Really cool venue!! Good luck to everyone who will participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [Charles_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charles_D wrote:
I got the same email. I really hope I get to compete the Half. I registered late and I'm scared I might not make the cut if they do not get enough volunteers. There is also the Full IM starting right before the half. I wonder if they got a similar email? Last news I got there were around 40 athletes registered for it, maybe more by now. We would all be on the bike course at the same time.

I just looked at the weather. Forecast is 18 degrees and 20mm of rain. This might convince a few to cancel.

I registered near the cut off so in a similar boat as you. If I get forced into the Olympic, I can certainly do it. I don't think they would ask anyone from the full IM to bump to Olympic. Danny McCann and crew put on the Ironman since 1991. They stopped organizing it a few years after IM Tremblant cannibalized their client base, so this year with no IM Tremblant , Danny and crew decided to put on an IM during this pandemic perhaps to show what is possible (safe racing in a good venue in a pandemic). So I doubt they ask the IM folks to switch.

Let's see where this goes. it is good to know there are 330 registered between half and full IM even with the uncertainty (I did not register till late because of cases having the potential to rise and another lockdown of sorts). Clearly there are people who want to get out there and race is a race is on.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha....that race was funny...remember packing up and and saying, "hey this single front wheel in my hand is worth more than the car we are driving in...and that's the way it should be". It was my PB 90km (short bike split)....2:09.xx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always enjoyed the Esprit races. Such a great venue! I'm a big F1 fan...so racing on the track makes it even cooler. I was going to go again this year, but couldn't get past the whole COVID thing.
Hope it all goes well!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orcaman wrote:
I have always enjoyed the Esprit races. Such a great venue! I'm a big F1 fan...so racing on the track makes it even cooler. I was going to go again this year, but couldn't get past the whole COVID thing.
Hope it all goes well!

Same! I raced the half in 2016 and 2018 and I loved doing laps on the track. Congestion was always an issue on the track, so hopefully with limited numbers they can put on the race safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
Orcaman wrote:
Hope it all goes well!

Same! I raced the half in 2016 and 2018 and I loved doing laps on the track. Congestion was always an issue on the track, so hopefully with limited numbers they can put on the race safely.

I am personally not worried about getting this virus outdoors even if I have to run shoulder to shoulder with someone in my age group (we are supposed to be 2m apart anyway) and have been swimming hard beside fellow swimmers at an indoor pool between intervals people are at the wall breathing fairly hard (if wall is busy, I just do an easy 25 to rest at the other side) so I think 250 riders spread over 4km track outdoors is less risk than 16 swimmers in an 8 lane indoor pool. But aside from the pool i have not been in retail store (my spouse does groceries), a restaurant, I have had my company shut for 6 months and all employees are working from home and only trained with three friends all spaced in this time.

So it will be the first time in 6 month near a group of real humans !!! I figure I have done my share to limit spread by not interacting with people but this seems like a safe place to be relative to things most of society is up to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great race Dev.

I was all set to do this after as last years race was a PB, but really the travel, staying at a hotel (don't dare stay with grandkids who are all back at school) plus mucking around in restaurants etc etc. Just didn't justify putting my wife at risk of any kind.

Great, really fun, race, great location, great organization, hopefully it will be there next year or at least when I age up again.
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Have a great race Dev.

I was all set to do this after as last years race was a PB, but really the travel, staying at a hotel (don't dare stay with grandkids who are all back at school) plus mucking around in restaurants etc etc. Just didn't justify putting my wife at risk of any kind.

Great, really fun, race, great location, great organization, hopefully it will be there next year or at least when I age up again.

Yes, in support of what you are saying I am yet to visit a restaurant, and I anticipate my only exposure indoors will be the person at front desk of hotel (I can eat dinner at home, drive over, check in, sleep, get up and eat breakfast that I bring and go directly to race). I have one 80 something parent with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease so not really interested in doing anything to make that interaction problematic. It looks like they have a good set up onsite, good procedures and now they are limiting F1 track density too. I guess I will find out in a day or so if they bump me out of the half IM as they have to reduce the numbers by 80 to meet govt regulations.

Assuming I am able to race, and I don't get bumped to reduce the numbers, I will be able to comment on the race experience....all the "fun/social" aspects of racing around the race are pretty well nuked so you're there to just put your head down and race. It will be interesting to see if this is that satisfying (or not). I suspect for me, it will satisfy the racer side, but not the social side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
Have a great race Dev.

Yes, in support of what you are saying I am yet to visit a restaurant, and I anticipate my only exposure indoors will be the person at front desk of hotel (I can eat dinner at home, drive over, check in, sleep, get up and eat breakfast that I bring and go directly to race). I have one 80 something parent with hypertension, diabetes and heart disease so not really interested in doing anything to make that interaction problematic. It looks like they have a good set up onsite, good procedures and now they are limiting F1 track density too. I guess I will find out in a day or so if they bump me out of the half IM as they have to reduce the numbers by 80 to meet govt regulations.

Assuming I am able to race, and I don't get bumped to reduce the numbers, I will be able to comment on the race experience....all the "fun/social" aspects of racing around the race are pretty well nuked so you're there to just put your head down and race. It will be interesting to see if this is that satisfying (or not). I suspect for me, it will satisfy the racer side, but not the social side.

Hope you get to race. Glad race is going occurring.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nationwise daily cases has risen back to just over 500 7 day moving average and daily deaths moving average is down to 2. Schools are just reopening now, so we won't see the affect of that till third week of Sept. In Quebec where this race is, 175 new cases yesterday and all the deaths in Canada (2) were in Quebec. So it feels like there should be no reason why local government would cancel the race as the scenario has barely budged in 6 weeks so they could have cancelled back then. But you never know until you're done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I was there long ago

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just posted on facebook that the bib list is coming out later today. I guess they got enough volunteers or came up with a solution!
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [Charles_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welp... Full, Half and Olympics are all downgraded to a Sprint.

''Unfortunately, according to the DGSP's interpretation, the limit of 250 participants applies to all sports courses, regardless of the size of the competition site and whether physical distanciation can be respected. According to this interpretation, the Triathlon Esprit has the obligation to completely empty the competition site of its 250 participants before giving another start. We are very surprised by this recent interpretation of the rule, especially since it seems to apply in a different way in the different regions of Quebec since other similar events have received the approval of the public health authorities.

Under the circumstances, it became impossible for our organization to offer the Long Distance Esprit and Half Esprit events.''

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, I voluntarily downgraded to Olympic given they were looking for volunteers to move over and I was a late registrant.

I am trying to decide at this point if I will even bother. My motivation is less not doing the half Ironman. I do Olympic and sprint tris literally every day with bike commutes to the pool and transition runs afterwards. Minimally it ends up being a sprint and many days are Olympic. But I never do half ironmans solo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an exerpt of the email I got. They are offering 100% refund if you do not want to do sprint. That is very unlike Ironman.

According to the DGSP, the athletes who participate in an event should be included in the calculation of the 250 people.

Faced with this contradiction, we have worked very hard over the past few days to clarify the situation with the various government authorities. We have proposed several solutions in order to ensure at all times a maximum number of 250 people per sport site (swimming, cycling, running). Unfortunately, according to the DGSP's interpretation, the limit of 250 participants applies to all sports courses, regardless of the size of the competition site and whether physical distanciation can be respected. According to this interpretation, the Triathlon Esprit has the obligation to completely empty the competition site of its 250 participants before giving another start. We are very surprised by this recent interpretation of the rule, especially since it seems to apply in a different way in the different regions of Quebec since other similar events have received the approval of the public health authorities.

Under the circumstances, it became impossible for our organization to offer an Olympic distance event.

Keen to offer all participants the chance to complete at least one triathlon this year, and refusing to cancel the event altogether, we made the difficult decision to turn all events into a distance sprint triathlon. In this way, it is possible to offer three departures of 250 people per day at 4 hours intervals in order to completely empty the competition site between each departure. We are well aware that this choice will not be suitable for all participants and that is why the Esprit triathlon will refund 100% of the registration fees to all those who wish to cancel their registration. Only the Events.com platform transaction fees are non-refundable since they are remitted directly to Events.com.

We are well aware that you have put in several hours of preparation for this competition and we share your disappointment at the cancellation of the Olympic distance triathlon. Please note that we did everything to try to save this ordeal, but the conditions imposed by DGSP made it impossible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am trying to decide at this point if I will even bother. My motivation is less not doing the half Ironman. I do Olympic and sprint tris literally every day with bike commutes to the pool and transition runs afterwards. Minimally it ends up being a sprint and many days are Olympic. But I never do half ironmans solo

When my IM branded races got cancelled, I turned to this one as an option. All summer I trained with the Demi distance in mind as a potential plan B. When the time came to register, I completely lost my motivation. I think I was trying to use it as a tool to save the season race-wise, and once I realized that I stopped wanting to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad that they are issuing refunds. I have enough 2021 Ironman credit. I guess I got a free swim cap from the registration enveloppe to add to my collection!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This 250 person limit is not new. They knew this weeks ago.

I'm struggling to see why they waited 2 days before the event to clarify.

Apparently the text/law was not clear but still, nothing has changed. As a matter of fact, they set up a green/yellow/orange/red scoring and Montreal is green (for now).

** correction ** it looks like the confusion comes from 2 different ministries. One says max 250 spectators, the other says 250 people (athletes+spectators).
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 10, 20 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Apparently the text/law was not clear but still, nothing has changed. As a matter of fact, they set up a green/yellow/orange/red scoring and Montreal is green (for now).

** correction ** it looks like the confusion comes from 2 different ministries. One says max 250 spectators, the other says 250 people (athletes+spectators).

I am all for doing things safely, but we've gotten into the realm of stupid laws and interpretations getting in the way of businesses able to make a living. 250 people between athletes and spectators crammed into a gym for a basketball game or at a pool for a swim meet is not the same as 250 people outdoors spread of a 2.5 km long by 1 km wide (so 2500 x 1000 = 2.5 million square meters) outdoor venue.

I would say if you want to ban my 250 person indoor swim meet, I won't put up a fuss. If you're saying I can't have more than 250 in 2.5 million outdoor square meters, it just makes no sense....restaurants have way more density as do outdoor patios. Just to be clear, I am fine not doing any racing. This would have been a nice bonus ending the summer here and I did wait to the last moment to register because of this type of crazy government overreach.

I am perfectly fine with the race director keeping my money for the efforts they have gone thru to work with governments just to offer athletes a safe racing environment. But this is a nice example of rules placed on society just for the sake of rules where no one can prove there is a public health risk at the venue given the spacing and densities and time exposures.

It is commendable that there is some trying. This is like the difference between constructing a new building and destroying an old one. You can blow up an old bulding instantly but it takes a lot of effort and time to build a new one. In the case of closing down triathlon (or sport), its easy....just declare it shut. Getting it going again, well, Esprit is a great example of how hard it will be.

Good news is they will run many waves of sprint tris per day, so there will be triathlon for those who want to so sprint. They have been doing running races at the same venue for some time now so that is a good thing.

Where risk is low, it should be OK to do things in a cautious manner....so at least they are allowing many waves of sprint (I might argue that is ultra cautious, and we could have minimally had a wave of half Ironman and 2 wave of sprint on one day, and two waves of Olympic and two waves of sprint the next day. But hey, its up to ministries to approve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for those who hoped to get one of the longer races in, but Kudos to Danny and company to making Lemonade with the lemons they were given in dealing with the various ministries. I assume the issue stems from a narrow view of the definition of the word venue... The spirit of these laws is thinking about indoor gyms/arenas or possibly an outdoor stadium, not a whole island with an Olympic rowing basin, an F1 track and lots of running trails... But given that the person they had to work with had that narrow interpretation and demanded the emptying of the island between waves, I can see why moving to sprint only made sense in terms of being able to flip the venue and do deliver a race for the most amount of participants... Also huge kudos to them for offering full refunds for those who don't want to change distances. They are definitely an event to keep supporting into the future (I'll miss next year, since I'll hopefully still be in Netherlands for Multisport worlds, but I'll be back for sure).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
marcag wrote:

I am all for doing things safely, but we've gotten into the realm of stupid laws and interpretations getting in the way of businesses able to make a living. 250 people between athletes and spectators crammed into a gym for a basketball game or at a pool for a swim meet is not the same as 250 people outdoors spread of a 2.5 km long by 1 km wide (so 2500 x 1000 = 2.5 million square meters) outdoor venue.

I would say if you want to ban my 250 person indoor swim meet, I won't put up a fuss. If you're saying I can't have more than 250 in 2.5 million outdoor square meters, it just makes no sense....restaurants have way more density as do outdoor patios. Just to be clear, I am fine not doing any racing. This would have been a nice bonus ending the summer here and I did wait to the last moment to register because of this type of crazy government overreach.

I am perfectly fine with the race director keeping my money for the efforts they have gone thru to work with governments just to offer athletes a safe racing environment. But this is a nice example of rules placed on society just for the sake of rules where no one can prove there is a public health risk at the venue given the spacing and densities and time exposures.

It is commendable that there is some trying. This is like the difference between constructing a new building and destroying an old one. You can blow up an old bulding instantly but it takes a lot of effort and time to build a new one. In the case of closing down triathlon (or sport), its easy....just declare it shut. Getting it going again, well, Esprit is a great example of how hard it will be.

Good news is they will run many waves of sprint tris per day, so there will be triathlon for those who want to so sprint. They have been doing running races at the same venue for some time now so that is a good thing.

Where risk is low, it should be OK to do things in a cautious manner....so at least they are allowing many waves of sprint (I might argue that is ultra cautious, and we could have minimally had a wave of half Ironman and 2 wave of sprint on one day, and two waves of Olympic and two waves of sprint the next day. But hey, its up to ministries to approve.

But it's OK to open strip joints and allow lap dances......Only in Quebec !!!
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 11, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Esprit + Demi Esprint Half and Full IM on F1 Track in Montreal Sep 12-13 [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I feel for those who hoped to get one of the longer races in, but Kudos to Danny and company to making Lemonade with the lemons they were given in dealing with the various ministries. I assume the issue stems from a narrow view of the definition of the word venue... The spirit of these laws is thinking about indoor gyms/arenas or possibly an outdoor stadium, not a whole island with an Olympic rowing basin, an F1 track and lots of running trails... But given that the person they had to work with had that narrow interpretation and demanded the emptying of the island between waves, I can see why moving to sprint only made sense in terms of being able to flip the venue and do deliver a race for the most amount of participants... Also huge kudos to them for offering full refunds for those who don't want to change distances. They are definitely an event to keep supporting into the future (I'll miss next year, since I'll hopefully still be in Netherlands for Multisport worlds, but I'll be back for sure).

This is what I am talking about and it has nothing to do with us racing or not. Its government people on power trips basically willy nilly preventing low risk activities from resuming when much much higher risk activities get the green light. By and large all around the world, we have given up too much power on topics where the power allocation has been misused not for public health but simply because someone can tell another person what to do "just because". Its kind of absurd to use the same cap for a gym as a 2.5 million square meter outdoor facility!

Awesome on Danny and crew doing what they are doing. Chapeau.
Quote Reply