Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing in cold
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

So from what it seems Ironman Tallinn is going to take place and it is going to be windy, cold & rainy, the water temperature is fluctuating around 15-17 degrees at the moment, while the weather is around 15 degrees. All in all - far from good conditions for me.

Therefore I am here to ask for some advices, what kind of clothing would be recommended? I started from taking my arm-warmers for the bike, to think about my merino base layer & even rain/windbreaker jacket for the bike leg. This is my first time racing full distance at these kind of conditions, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

My main concern is swimming and the bike. Any good tips how to keep myself warm during these?

Thank you <3

http://www.triflections.com
https://www.instagram.com/triflections/
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in cold [Kurinkuji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would focus on the extremities. Personally my fingers get numb when cold and wet. Racing in the cold i come prepared with lightweight gloves, but also rain mitts that will keep in the warmth much better. I picked up a Huub swimming balaclava this spring and it is a game changer for cold water, keeps the neck, cheeks and chin warm and doesn't affect mobility at all. Toe covers or even booties for your feet, depending how cold your feet get. The air temps you described are not too bad, but after the swim your core temp will be lowered and take a while to increase. Being prepared will really help you be comfortable for the first half of the bike, could make or break your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the water is cold don't be surprised to have some anxiety when you first put your face in. If you get a chance before the race to do a practice swim it will be helpful. I would do my best to make sure my head, feet and hands are protected. Toe covers, mitts or gloves and if you have little hair some type of covering. Try to keep your core warm with an extra layer. If its a wetsuit swim and you are wearing a full I would swim with arm warmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The jacket and/or layers are a good idea, if the conditions require. It's usually worth the time to towel off and get as dry as possible before starting the bike. Well, if it's raining, maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe covers

Gloves

Castelli Gabba jersey (warm/windproof, but stretchy/tight fitting so it doesn't flap)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Sep 3, 20 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a cold morning at my last Ironman. I agree to dry off completely. Might even want to change into a dry kit. Most of the fast guys seemed to wear arm warmers or a wind breaker. A lot of other people shoved plastic grocery bags into their kit then threw them away at aid stations. I couldn't get arm warmers on my wet arms so I went in just my kit. It took about 70 miles before I could spin my legs comfortably. The first two aid stations I couldn't close my hands to grab water bottles. They just bounced right off my hands. It was also very difficult to close my fingers to pickup the Clif Blok chews in my bento. I also had to use two hands to push the di2 button in to shift. Hopefully that will help you think about options to prepare for. Good luck.

Adding that I wore toe covers but my toes still felt like rocks until t2

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Sep 3, 20 17:12
Quote Reply