Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Neo 2T or Kickr
Quote | Reply
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Neo 2T or the Kickr v5. I just came across a comment that the 2T couldn't use your PM as the reference power, unlike the Kickr. Is this still the case? I've read about all of the firmware updates they've done in the past year, but no comprehensive list of what's been addressed.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you mean about reference power. With a 2T you can display your power on an app and then use your bike computer to display the power from your PM on your bike for comparison?
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a Kickr, it can set the target watts for ERG mode based on your Quarq/P2M/External PM rather than the internal one. I'd like to know if this is newly supported in the Neo 2T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I just came across a comment that the 2T couldn't use your PM as the reference power, unlike the Kickr. Is this still the case?
It is true, but not really a factor in real-life use. Most trainer apps have a PowerMatch feature. The KICKR is unique in that it can directly pair the trainer to a power meter. Personally, I prefer the control of being able to turn it on or off from my trainer program, but you could make that invisible with the KICKR. I have had both a KICKR and have a Neo. Here is my quick decision tree between the two:
  • The Neo feels great, it may be smoother and more natural than the KICKR
  • The Neo is huge, ungainly, and difficult to carry; as bulky, 50 lbs. objects go, the KICKR is relatively easy to carry around
  • The glowing LED under the Neo is really cool
  • I like that you do not need to block the front wheel with a KICKR
  • The slight sway the Neo allows is a huge feel upgrade; supposedly the new feet on the KICKR allow some movement as well
  • My Neo reads about 20W lower than my Assioma pedals at high freewheel speeds; they are improving it with firmware, but the KICKR is more consistent across all flywheel speeds
  • The Neo works without power, which is super cool
  • I am a TrainerRoad guy, so I will never experience the Neo's other slick features like downhill coasting simulation and road surface simulation
  • The 2T supposedly fixed the virtual tire slip thing that plagued earlier models

Last edited by: exxxviii: Sep 1, 20 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It is true, but not really a factor in real-life use. Most trainer apps have a PowerMatch feature. The KICKR is unique in that it can directly pair the trainer to a power meter.
That's a good workaround. Thanks.

Prices being equal, which would you prefer?

I'm leaning towards the Kickr because it has fewer bike compatibility issues (chain stays & disc brake calipers), is more portable, and seems to be a more refined product. But, I like that the Neo 2T is immediately available and doesn't require external power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Prices being equal, which would you prefer?

I'm leaning towards the Kickr because it has fewer bike compatibility issues (chain stays & disc brake calipers), is more portable, and seems to be a more refined product.
IMHO, they are both equals of awesomeness. As far as refinement, they are equals. So, the decision comes to personal factors. You mentioned portability and compatibility, so I recommend the KICKR based on those two.

I love the NEO's side-to-side movement. So, I would have to give a KICKR 5 a test ride to see how much movement it has. If equal, then I would probably get a KICKR today because it is a little more compact. But, most likely, I would stick with the Neo because the sway comes from movement at the flywheel, not flex in the feet.

The Neo's ability to ride without power is really a non-factor. Kind of like the KICKR's internal PowerMatch. It is highly unlikely that you would use that feature in your training cave, since you already have power for your training app. And, there is no universe where I would ever take a Neo to a race to warm up. It is too much of a beast to move.
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was trying to decide between a Neo 2 and a Kickr it pretty much came down to you really can't go wrong with either. Both are awesome with slight differences.

In the end what broke the tie for me is that DCR said that when not testing trainers the one he rides is usually a Neo. I don't remember if he said that in response to a question in the comments or in the main body of an article.

Again, you can't go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, both are good but unless you use Climb, I don't see any benefits to the Wahoo. Meanwhile the Neo has greater sway and is a bit quieter. Unless the next Hammer becomes silent, I'll be getting a Neo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a recent Neo 2T user. I upgraded after 3 years using a Flux.

I will only add to the perfect description made by exxxviii the following points:
- In my case the difference between Quarq D-Zero and NEO 2T is between 4w to 6w. I checked it in sessions with different intensities from Endurance to FRC or Vo2.
- The point of "virtual pull slip thing that plagued earlier models" is solved. Rolling in Rouvy at low speed, high climb gradient at about 6 to 7 w/kg this does not happen.
- The simulation of descents is excellent, as well as the simulation of different types of terrain (asphalt, gravel, wood, cobblestones). Of course they add quality to the real training, but they are very good additions.

I never used a Kickr so I can't compare, but I can tell you that the NEO 2T was an excellent buy and improved indoor workouts a lot.

Any other question is welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strong vote for Neo. I think it is more accurate power wise, quieter, and the road feel feature in Zwift is pretty sweet.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In an effort to cut off analysis paralysis, I ordered the Neo 2T. It was $1250 shipped, which was about the same price as the Kickr, and it was immediately available. I needed something to motivate me to ride indoors, I really don't enjoy it. I'm hoping this helps.

Now that I've hit submit in my shopping cart, you can expect Tacx to announce the Neo 3.
Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 1, 20 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to put a kink in your plan if you want it immediately but Neos are going on sale later this fall for a significant discount
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the Neo 3 is coming
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea. That would make sense I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All trainers go on sale each fall as part of individual retailer sales for VIP/members/etc. That said, I wouldn't assume the same will actually happen this year. After all, retailers can't keep trainers in stock - so there's little reason to give people a 20% discount.

As for other trainers, I don't foresee any other major player new trainer announcements this year.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I’m not speculating based on past history, I’m saying I’ve already been offered such a deal from specific retailer on a 2T. I think it was even posed on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
All trainers go on sale each fall as part of individual retailer sales for VIP/members/etc. That said, I wouldn't assume the same will actually happen this year. After all, retailers can't keep trainers in stock - so there's little reason to give people a 20% discount.

As for other trainers, I don't foresee any other major player new trainer announcements this year.

This makes a lot of sense. No reason for the retailer to give a large discount when they can't even keep them in stock.

In addition, 2020 has slowed or halted a lot of R&D, manufacturing and production. I'm thinking a lot of new bikes won't hit the market this fall either like they do most years?

In regards to the 2T or Kickr, I went with the 2T and love it. I like how quiet it is compared to my old manual trainer. It's so quiet that the other day I thought the flywheel was making a strange noise. Turns out it was my sweat soaked bibs rubbing back and forth on my saddle making a slight squeak. All I could think is how silent the trainer is for me to hear that noise. Road feel is awesome. The accuracy is good and I'd rather it report lower watts than higher if it's going to be off. I like the simulated descents. I also like that you don't have to buy a Kickr Climb as a separate and costly addition to the Kickr.
Last edited by: WFPB Athlete: Sep 2, 20 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
No, I’m not speculating based on past history, I’m saying I’ve already been offered such a deal from specific retailer on a 2T. I think it was even posed on ST.

Which retailer?
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my 2T from REI. I think new members get a first purchase with 20% off. That is what I did. I paid for a membership and then got a hefty discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
I bought my 2T from REI. I think new members get a first purchase with 20% off. That is what I did. I paid for a membership and then got a hefty discount.

Same here, and damn it is a huge upgrade from my Computrainer. I'm really thrilled! (Cue the scene from Fleabag)

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been a member forever. Was expecting a 20% off coupon for Labor Day, but there’s only one for the outlet.
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great minds think alike!
Quote Reply
Re: Neo 2T or Kickr [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Which retailer?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...octorusa%20#p7074703
Quote Reply

Prev Next