Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Re-covering a saddle
Quote | Reply
I've been riding Selle Italia Flite saddles exclusively for about 30 years. The only thing that fails is the leather cover that wears away eventually. So instead of just buying another saddle (at $100-130 a piece), I followed these instructions and gave it a go. Found a scrap piece of thin leather at a cobbler for $10.

All tools involved:

Finished product:

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Re-covering a saddle [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome job! Looks great. It also creates the option of choosing a different cover color/material.

For those less diy inclined, a good cobbler can also do the job.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Re-covering a saddle [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Awesome job! Looks great. It also creates the option of choosing a different cover color/material.

For those less diy inclined, a good cobbler can also do the job.

The cobbler I went to declined to try it. He did ask me to bring it back when I was done (which I will do, since I have three more saddles I can cover!). Some issues are that this saddle (and I assume others) have more concave surfaces than I expect a shoe might have, and the saddle is one piece of leather, not multiple stitched together).

I did another saddle with a blue marine vinyl, but it was too thick and I was not able to wrap it around the bottom as neatly.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cobbler grew up in the Netherlands....probably makes a difference.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I've been riding Selle Italia Flite saddles exclusively for about 30 years. The only thing that fails is the leather cover that wears away eventually. So instead of just buying another saddle (at $100-130 a piece), I followed these instructions and gave it a go. Found a scrap piece of thin leather at a cobbler for $10.

All tools involved:

Finished product:

Very nice!! I’ll have to keep this in mind given that the saddles i prefer are either pricey or discontinued / hard to find (or both).

Edit, I also have one that I don’t particularly like, but if it had a cutout and less padding in the nose, might be a decent road saddle. That will be another project

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 3, 20 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work! I’m trying to recover a couple old ISM saddles and will need to find a new cover as the stock pleather is shockingly poor quality. I have trimmed the plastic base down in the attempt to get more contact with the saddle, gaining more surface area and reducing hot spots. (Can be verified with a GeBioMized pressure mapping test.) Anyway are your services available for the recovering process or is this a service that you’ve thought about offering to the public?
Quote Reply
Re: Re-covering a saddle [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Nice work! I’m trying to recover a couple old ISM saddles and will need to find a new cover as the stock pleather is shockingly poor quality. I have trimmed the plastic base down in the attempt to get more contact with the saddle, gaining more surface area and reducing hot spots. (Can be verified with a GeBioMized pressure mapping test.) Anyway are your services available for the recovering process or is this a service that you’ve thought about offering to the public?

My wife joked about my new job opportunity, but I'm an amateur at best. My only experience is with this particular saddle, so I have no idea what would be involved in covering a different model (how easy does the cover come off, can the new cover be stapled to the saddle body, how hard is it to mold the leather to the curves, etc.).

Anyone who is half-decent at DYI stuff can do this, following the steps at that URL and given a few simple tools and an appropriate adhesive (note I didn't use the same one).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply