Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much TSS should tennis (and other cross training) contribute?
Quote | Reply
Starting to play a bit more these days. A 90-minute singles match isn't a super hard effort, but the heart rate gets up there and there are some hard sprints. In the interest of avoiding overtraining, I'm wondering what TSS to let TrainingPeaks assign.

The last couple times I've played are as follows:

87 min, Avg HR 141, Max HR 174. Default TSS 8, hrTSS 73.
98 min, Avg HR 151, Max HR 176. Default TSS 10, hrTSS 100.

So should I (a) leave it at 8-10, (b) use the much higher hrTSS, or (c) split the difference somehow? Again, I'm most concerned with making sure my body is recovering well each day and not artificially pumping up my CTL or ATL.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of "go off of feel" responses. But I'm interested to discuss how cross training (hiking, surfing, etc) should be incorporated into ATL, if at all. It seems to me that physical activities that raise heart rate should be taken into account. And maybe even non-exertion activities too (e.g. sauna).
Quote Reply
Re: How much TSS should tennis (and other cross training) contribute? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those non traditional activities, I let TP use the hrTSS. I figure it's accounting for HR over time and that counts for something. Certainly more than a 8 or 10.
Quote Reply
Re: How much TSS should tennis (and other cross training) contribute? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caroline Wozniaki ran a 3:29 marathon on hardly any run training because her tennis season ran longer than expected one year. I was a competitive tennis player as a kid and played in college. Didn’t start running until my mid-20’s, but became good runner (2:48 PR, 3:09 IM run split). I’ve come to think that tennis is better prep for endurance sports than you’d think. Of course, depends on how hard you’re playing. The running demands are greater at higher levels of play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 0.5 x minute. It's worked well for me for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: How much TSS should tennis (and other cross training) contribute? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Think there’s a very Big difference between a top Pro athlete and “mortal” people. Aside from training their specific sport, they do a LOT of cross training and are generally very good shape. Don’t know what a women’s 3:29 translates to men’s times, But I’d expect most male top pro’s in any kind of physical sport (not snooker, darts, and so on) to run a sub 3 Marathon without any specific run training. Also, being top atlethes, the mental part is probably easily done with. Sometime during the winter, when he was back i Denmark, i’m pretty sure Michael Valgren ran a sub 18 5k, just to get some workout done. Don’t Think he’s running all that much during race reason. Unless he drowns on the swim, I wouldn’t want to race him in a sprint tri.
Not saying that tennis doesn’t have some sort of training effect, But really depends How much you actually run around. If you really suck at it, as I do, there’s not much work in it, aside from a few steps and “won’t get that one anyway”.
Point is, what sport pro’s are capable of, shouldn’t be compared too much with us mere mortals, unless we put in the same training hours and intensity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting. I know I take day off from actual training on the days I officiate high school football. I work the wing and am exhausted after game. Typically run 7-8 miles per game. Feels like 10 mile run. Hips get strong during the season with all the side to side striding/running on sidelines.
Quote Reply