Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider?
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty loyal to the spider based power but every time I see a picture of the Vision aero cranksets I get crank envy. I know there has been some discussion about making aero covers, and I tried to find a way to contact Glen Alden but it appears his website is down right now. Trying to imagine something between custom carbon covers and duct tape. And not just for the chainrings, full on smooth crank coverings.

What do we think, play with paper cutouts until it looks clean then cut a thin sheet of plastic? Secure with zip ties to the chainrings and double sided tape to the spider/crank?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
diy carbon (or fiberglass if you only want to use stuff you can get at lowes/home depot/auto zone)

- remove crank (with rings on)
- Find a flat surface to have the crank laying level. If it's like a shimano/etc (has a spindle connected) cut hole in a box (do not stick your junk in the box) to make a flat surface.
- Cover your now flat crank with a layer or two of saran wrap. (Just lay flat cut sheets over it. Be sure everything is covered +)
- Lay up your carbon/fiberglass on top of the saran wrap. Even just a single layer should be fine.
- wet the carbon/fg. Press down a little to make sure you've got the right shape.
- allow to cure.

After it's cured, do your rough cutting the outline of the chainrings. You want to end up with a circle shape that's roughly the same as the inner side of the chainring (so that the teeth with a chain on it will clear)
Then attach as you want. Hot glue, double sided tape, epoxy, etc.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 3, 20 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve thought about trying to design one and 3D print it.

How much more aero is it actually (other than looking cool!)? I haven’t really paid attention to any data or lack of data for aero cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are the strain gauges located on this PM?
Are you sure you're not interfering with it's measurement? A crank based measurement outboard of your cover, or a spindle based measurement inboard of the chainrings hould be fine. However, if it's measured anywhere else, I'd be worried the cover is taking at least some structural load and thus distorting the power reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
diy carbon (or fiberglass if you only want to use stuff you can get at lowes/home depot/auto zone)

- remove crank (with rings on)
- Find a flat surface to have the crank laying level. If it's like a shimano/etc (has a spindle connected) cut hole in a box (do not stick your junk in the box) to make a flat surface.
- Cover your now flat crank with a layer or two of saran wrap. (Just lay flat cut sheets over it. Be sure everything is covered +)
- Lay up your carbon/fiberglass on top of the saran wrap. Even just a single layer should be fine.
- wet the carbon/fg. Press down a little to make sure you've got the right shape.
- allow to cure.

After it's cured, do your rough cutting the outline of the chainrings. You want to end up with a circle shape that's roughly the same as the inner side of the chainring (so that the teeth with a chain on it will clear)
Then attach as you want. Hot glue, double sided tape, epoxy, etc.

I'm going to be a pedantic turd and point out there is a front derailleur in that picture. While I realize that isn't the point of the topic, that just makes me twitch in my chair a little seeing that is a 2x with FD but has a custom aero cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone made an aero cover for a quarq dzero crank/spider? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welll.... back many years ago when I made it, David Millar's Prologue in the tour was still pretty fresh in our minds.

These days I don't have any derailleurs!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply