Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have a new disc brake bike they are using with their old Saris Cycleops trainer?
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to use my new 2019 Specialized Tarmac disc brake bike in the trainer. I know I need to purchase a new thru axle for it. I'm a little hesitant about the issue because I read 2 reviews where the axle they had incorrect threads and one person stated that the one "rethread" the threads and destroyed his bike.

Just wondering if I should attempt it or not. I still have my old bike and may try to make it a dedicated trainer bike, but I was hoping to try and sell it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a new disc brake bike they are using with their old Saris Cycleops trainer? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you buy the correct thread coarseness. If it's not listed in the specs I'd contact specialized. If you can't get in touch with them, bring it in to your local bike shop and compare the threads on your current axle to the options they have in stock. The reviews you read are people who bought the incorrect size and then rather than realizing something wasn't right, they tried to force it. I've used a disc brake bike with an old trainer and it's fine. I did even buy the wrong thread size first as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a new disc brake bike they are using with their old Saris Cycleops trainer? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Cycleops Mag trainer from the 90's. Installed a Robert Axle Project (RAP) thru-axle on my Cervelo R3 disc and works fine.
I leave the RAP axle on for outdoor rides since it's a hassle to remove and swap hangers.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a new disc brake bike they are using with their old Saris Cycleops trainer? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Just make sure you buy the correct thread coarseness. If it's not listed in the specs I'd contact specialized. If you can't get in touch with them, bring it in to your local bike shop and compare the threads on your current axle to the options they have in stock. The reviews you read are people who bought the incorrect size and then rather than realizing something wasn't right, they tried to force it. I've used a disc brake bike with an old trainer and it's fine. I did even buy the wrong thread size first as well.

I figured, but of course they make seem like the error was on Saris. I wish I had a close specialized dealer. I drove over 1.25 hours there thru DC. It sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a new disc brake bike they are using with their old Saris Cycleops trainer? [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one from Robert Axle Project to use with my old Cycleops Mag trainer. I haven't gotten it yet, but they have an axle finder tool on their website. It was super helpful in knowing what to order.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread gauges a pretty cheap

https://www.lowes.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I'm trying to use my new 2019 Specialized Tarmac disc brake bike in the trainer. I know I need to purchase a new thru axle for it. I'm a little hesitant about the issue because I read 2 reviews where the axle they had incorrect threads and one person stated that the one "rethread" the threads and destroyed his bike.

Just wondering if I should attempt it or not. I still have my old bike and may try to make it a dedicated trainer bike, but I was hoping to try and sell it.

Thanks

We’ve used a number of RAP thru axles and their 3 in one trainer kit. Great products.

Ran across this option recently and it supports a number of standards in one kit: http://www.rapilock.com.tw/...rainer-Axle-147.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you bought the bike from a LBS, and they also sell trainers? They should know what you need and have it on the shelf.

If not, your bike should have the spec for the Thru-Axle printed on the axle itself. It should say something like 142-12x1.5, which is what is printed on my Roubaix rear Thru-Axle.

That is Length - Diameter x Thread Pitch.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply