Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on post 'race season' break
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

Like most people all of my races were cancelled this year. After listening to a recent Purple Patch podcast where they recommended setting up some kind of challenge to give your season some structure, I decided to DIY race a local course last Friday and did a full week taper leading up to the 'race'.

Again, following the Purple Patch advice, I am taking a complete break from training before starting again with a goal of racing competitively in summer 2021.

I'm curious if there is a best-practice regarding a post-season break? I was thinking of 2 weeks with no structure (still hiking and some bike rides with the family) but wonder if this is the right length of time.

I don't feel tired and dislike my fitness score draining away on TrainingPeaks (I know that should not be a factor...) but keep hearing that a post season break is really important. Basically, I was hoping to hear what has worked best for people in the past.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on post 'race season' break [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2-4wks of minimal structure usually works for me. Trail runs, hikes, MTB rides, etc. add a bunch of fun and keep the fitness somewhat intact.

I'll usually throw in a bit of VO2 and strides to just keep a bit of intensity & maintain fitness as well
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on post 'race season' break [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
2-4wks of minimal structure usually works for me. Trail runs, hikes, MTB rides, etc. add a bunch of fun and keep the fitness somewhat intact.

I'll usually throw in a bit of VO2 and strides to just keep a bit of intensity & maintain fitness as well

That's pretty much what I do as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been taking about 4 weeks off for a few years, and honestly I ended up accumulating a ton of fatigue eventually. Planning to take 2 full months off this year to see if it makes a difference.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do this every year. As a practical matter (in normal years) it is Thanksgiving - New Years. Work and social functions, adaptation to the cold, and lots of extra junk food and booze appearing around the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot depends on your lifestyle in general, and this is an area even more than 'training' where it's very individual.

For me the reason I do all this stuff is actually for mental health, the physical side is a byproduct. And for me non training is a bad thing, especially when paired with the 'no goals'. So the last couple of years I've sat down with my coach 2 weeks out from the A race and talked about the plan for after. I've ended up with almost the same number of sessions, but those sessions are way shorter, and not as intense as you'd expect. So I'll still do swim squad, but perhaps drop down a lane. The Saturday long bike swaps to a social group ride and coffees or an MTB ride. The midweek double header (am/PM) runs swaps to a walk up the local lookout and a beach stroll.

For me this works as it means I keep my routine and stops me letting work expand out to fill the 20+hrs a week I normally train.

Very personal and so this wouldn't be right for everyone (anyone else?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My usual practice is as follows:
  • 2 months, give or take - usually between my last race and New Year's day
  • No set schedule - workout how you feel
  • Nothing long or super hard, but keep a bit of fitness going without building fatigue.
  • Good time to focus on the the parts that have been neglected. For me this is swim, strength, and flexibility
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 2, 20 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alan Couzens has a good blog post about the importance of the off-season and shedding fatigue. I know he lurks here now and again.

https://alancouzens.com/blog/off_season.html
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on post 'race season' break [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Alan Couzens has a good blog post about the importance of the off-season and shedding fatigue. I know he lurks here now and again.

https://alancouzens.com/blog/off_season.html

This is great - thanks for all the advice folks.

I like the idea of 2-4 weeks of non structure but keeping some intensity so fitness doesn't fall off a cliff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I like the idea of 2-4 weeks of non structure but keeping some intensity so fitness doesn't fall off a cliff.

If that's what you took from Alan's article you might be misreading it. Scroll down to the "How should I structure the off season?" section at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on post 'race season' break [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fitness is never on my agenda for a break.

Without reading the article my objectives are:

Relax.
Heal any niggles.
Have fun doing some things.
Getting a mental break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the way that you structure your break should consider several variables.
1.) How tired you are.
2.) Age- older riders have a harder time getting back in shape.
3.) Weight- larger athletes and/or athletes who tend to put on significant fat might want a shorter break. Or at least pay attention to eating.
4.) Injuries?
5.) How much volume you train
6.) How much time you tend to miss due to illnesses, injuries, work, family, etc. - What I mean is that some athletes end up getting other breaks in training throughout the year. So that don't need that huge break after the season.

You really need to figure out what works for you. But I agree with others that you at least need to let go other structure and the "need" for fitness or fitness numbers for a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on post 'race season' break [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

If that's what you took from Alan's article you might be misreading it. Scroll down to the "How should I structure the off season?" section at the bottom.

You are correct, I did mis-read on first pass.

I am now in the middle of 2 weeks of walks and super easy lake swims and will then add in some strength work but not do any serious training until October.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
Quote Reply