Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Allied Able vs Open WI.DE
Quote | Reply
Looking into investing in a 1x bike capable of tackling just about any surface thrown at it and bike packing as well.

I’m leaning toward the able purely because it’s made near me but that $1000 price difference is weighing into the decision a lot too.

Any thoughts or feedback from anyone riding either? They both have multiple mounting options as well as a top tube mount. Great tire clearance and both would be a 1x drive train. The wide is limited to a 46 tooth ring. Not sure what the max is on able but I know it can at least accommodate a 48.
Quote Reply
Re: Allied Able vs Open WI.DE [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Able arrives on Saturday. I considered both, and the decision came down to the Able having more trail, a higher BB, and the reach in my size allowing a more appropriate stem length. Threaded BB was nice too. Both great bikes though.
Quote Reply
Re: Allied Able vs Open WI.DE [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did yours take 7 weeks like they are saying?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with the Able but I’ve been riding an Allied Alfa for almost 3 years. I’m in Little Rock so this company means a lot to me being local. Couldn’t be happier with the company or the bike. They gave me a 30 minute tour of the facility when I picked my frame up. I really really wish I had gotten an All Road but I got it just before the gravel craze kicked up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Looking into investing in a 1x bike capable of tackling just about any surface thrown at it and bike packing as well.

I have a Salsa Cutthroat, wide tire/drop bar/fully ridged carbon mountain bike designed for and proven on the Tour Divide bikepacking route. You can get a whole build cheaper than what the OPEN and Allied cost for a frame alone. Or go nuts and get hydralics and DI2...but good luck fixing it on the trail and bring multiple charging options.
Quote Reply
Re: Allied Able vs Open WI.DE [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve eyed the salsas too. I like the warbird as well. One day I would love to do something like the divide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The divide is my retirement present to myself....in 2029. =D
Getting my feet wet in the bike packing world over the next decade as I travel around the world and gradually gain confidence in being able to go unassisted on longer stuff.
I will say, a carbon frame, big ass tire, fully ridged drop bar mountain bike on gravel is just so much fun.
People like to "underbike"...picking a good line...etc. But on that type of bike on gravel, there is no wrong line...you can just smash it with confidence, as things rarely get squirrely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Did yours take 7 weeks like they are saying?

Mine took about 8 weeks due to some supply chain issues with the groupset (I went off menu). The sales people were in contact throughout the process. I've had friends order custom steel bikes and it takes a year with sporadic communication. This was nothing like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the able frame. Pretty pumped. I live in TN so this will be coming from the next state over and that’s pretty awesome to me. Can’t wait to get it and build it up. Build pics will follow
Quote Reply