Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another.
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about adding another TT bike to the fleet and would need to transfer my fit numbers. Now the bike would be the same model and brand as one of my other TT bikes however it would be a 56 instead of a 58. I will be able to hit all of my FIT numbers even though I'm going a size smaller so I'm just wondering if there's anything Im missing in my thought process.
All my measurements are taken from the bottom bracket or level line / vertical line from the bottom bracket.

So reach measured to center of pads.

Stack measured from bottom back edge of the pads ( Tilted up quite a bit is why I mentioned it)

Tip of saddle distance behind BB.

The only thing that is in question is the possibility of going back to a slightly longer crank. In which case I would obviously lower the saddle the appropriate amount and move the seat fore and aft to match previous fit setback numbers. As well as adjusting stack numbers accordingly.

Anything I'm missing here or just have a blind spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm thinking about adding another TT bike to the fleet and would need to transfer my fit numbers. Now the bike would be the same model and brand as one of my other TT bikes however it would be a 56 instead of a 58. I will be able to hit all of my FIT numbers even though I'm going a size smaller so I'm just wondering if there's anything Im missing in my thought process.
All my measurements are taken from the bottom bracket or level line / vertical line from the bottom bracket.

So reach measured to center of pads.

Stack measured from bottom back edge of the pads ( Tilted up quite a bit is why I mentioned it)

Tip of saddle distance behind BB.

The only thing that is in question is the possibility of going back to a slightly longer crank. In which case I would obviously lower the saddle the appropriate amount and move the seat fore and aft to match previous fit setback numbers. As well as adjusting stack numbers accordingly.

Anything I'm missing here or just have a blind spot on.

in order to normalize, and to know what that set up is going to look like, you need to go to the geometry chart and see what the difference is in frame stack and reach between the two sizes.

so, let's say the difference is 20mm of stack and 15mm of reach. assuming the front end is the more or less the same between the two sizes (same stem length, stem pitch, what have you), it's just math. you're going to need a 20mm spacer under the pads. you're going to need to move the pads forward one set of armrest cup holes. (the holes are typically 15mm apart.)

you can normalize in other ways. if there's a tradition stem, you replace a 90mm -17° with a 110mm -6°.

so it's like that. i don't know that the crank is a factor here. if you normalize in the way i describe, you are in the precise same position on either bike. your body won't know you've changed bikes. the only difference is in how it's going to handle, a little difference in weight displacement, otherwise the only difference is in the pursuit position, if you make the adjustment for frame size via pedestals. if you make the normalizing adjustment via a stem, then even that is not going to be different.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. The change in crank would be going from a 155 up to get 165.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Thanks Dan. The change in crank would be going from a 155 up to get 165.

to me, the issue of crank length is totally unconnected to the issue of how you'd build your new smaller frame to match the coordinates of your older larger size frame. my assumption is that you know your position. that this position works for you. if so, then it's the same position. you could go down 2 sizes, and if you normalize, and recreate your bike position, it's the same position. handling changes. but position doesn't change. which means crank length doesn't change.

maybe you need to change your crank length. but if you do, you need to change it regardless of the bike frame size you're on.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,

Changing crank length is more about wanting to be able to go back to Shimano 2x cranks.. I was on 165 before and it was okay but 155 did open up the hips a little bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Ok,

Changing crank length is more about wanting to be able to go back to Shimano 2x cranks.. I was on 165 before and it was okay but 155 did open up the hips a little bit more.

same answer, basically. 1x or 2x, that doesn't change your pedaling dynamics. the only issues there are gearing, and chain line. crank length is not a factor there. if 155mm felt better, more power at the top, when you commence the push, then 155mm is going to feel the same amount better when you move from 1x to 2x or from 2x to 1x.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Rotor 155mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Ok,

If you're ok with R7000 they make them in a 160mm
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you considered Rotor 155mm cranks.

I have.
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be but I have the 165s already so I may try it first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If 155mm works for you, why change?
Quote Reply
Re: A question about transferring fit numbers from one bike to another. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just not sure it's optimal and why not experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your power output with 155mm cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly right now I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't know your power output, you can't compare 155mm versus 165mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that. I was on 165 3 yrs ago. 155 past two years and just started riding with power later last yr. Now Due to Covid-19 and a injury I'm just starting back to the bike after a long break.
Quote Reply