Will there be one?
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [Iron Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@The GMAN
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His views on the matter don't extend past the wall that The Donald is building around America :)

Vols wrote:
@The GMAN

Quote | Reply
Might want to revise your title of the thread to 2021. I think we already know the status of the 2020 race ;)

Quote | Reply
No

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have this on good word or are you surmising based off of available info? You've nailed it with some uncanny timing on a couple of other announcements (e.g., Augusta)!
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [QCMattyD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any inside information.

My guess is that we see a cancellation notice in the next 3-4 weeks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thx! I'm thinking the same, but like I said - your timing on Augusta and I want to say StG (?) was uncanny. Thought maybe you knew something / someone that I didn't.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sticking with my original prediction of yes. And to repeat my comments from another thread, I'm not saying whether they SHOULD have the race; I'm only expecting they will. Unless Florida COVID rates spike back up (they have been in freefall the past two weeks) I will be very surprised if PCB pulls the permit. And if WTC has a permit, they will run the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, Panama City Beach marathon in December was just canceled.
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

That was a race organizer decision, not a permitting issue. If PCB does not pull Ironman Florida's permit, do you think Ironman will still hold the race?
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

That was a race organizer decision, not a permitting issue. If PCB does not pull Ironman Florida's permit, do you think Ironman will still hold the race?
Personally I don't think there will be an IM in the US in 2020, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you may very well be right, but you dodged my question. If PCB does not pull the permit, will Ironman take a flyer or will they conduct the race?
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Sep 2, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think PCB will pull the permit. If they don't, then my guess is that Ironman cancels or reschedules it on their own in 3-4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I'm sticking with my original prediction of yes. And to repeat my comments from another thread, I'm not saying whether they SHOULD have the race; I'm only expecting they will. Unless Florida COVID rates spike back up (they have been in freefall the past two weeks) I will be very surprised if PCB pulls the permit. And if WTC has a permit, they will run the race.

I'm inclined to agree with you, although I think the real answer lies on some probability distribution based on DeSantis's tone over the past few days (and frankly, months). If I were a betting man I would give it a 51 / 49 shot of happening. Does the municipality have full control over permitting or does the state control/influence some of these decisions?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see PCB allowing the race. Covid daily rates have dropped 80% in the last 6 weeks and continue to decline at 20%/week. Considering PCB is a town that it build to handle massive amounts of visitors and they only have around 30-40 covid patients hospitalized. They are a tourism based city and also in one of the stronger trump supporting counties in Florida. Between IMF and IMFL70.3 I bet one of them happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
And you may very well be right, but you dodged my question. If PCB does not pull the permit, will Ironman take a flyer or will they conduct the race?

I don't have any inside information, but I think St George wanted to run the 140.6 in September and I think Ironman pulled the plug on their own. St. George is hosting huge softball and volleyball tournaments, sending out tweets to get your tickets for some of the plays going on there, and generally inviting all to come visit. I just don't think Ironman wants to be bothered to produce a race in the US in 2020. They've written off the year and should just tell everyone signed up for 2020 races. Having said that, I hope I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is fair to say that Ironman is suffering a serious revenue shortfall at the moment. For that reason, I do not believe they will pass on any race IF they are granted a permit. At some point, there has to be a first IM in the United States and if they pass on anything that might be available in 2020 what do they expect to be different in 2021 since COVID is likely now an endemic infection that will occur regularly? Ironman might be waiting on a vaccine, but I doubt it. I think the ball is in the hands of Panama City Beach, and, I believe they are suffering from a bed tax revenue shortfall. I'm only suggesting that there are two entities here who both need the money desperately, hence my prediction that IMFL is a go unless COVID rates spike back up significantly before race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think it matters whether Ironman or PCB want the race to happen. At the end of the day, with the combined IM and 70.3, the race is going to need 3,000 or more volunteers to make it happen. I do not foresee any circumstances under which that many people will volunteer to stand in the sun all day, wearing masks and gloves, to volunteer for the race. And if the race goes forward with an insufficient number of volunteers, the best case scenario is that the race experience suffers. At worst, someone gets hurt. I just don't see the race happening.

Moreover, Ironman has everyone's money already. Putting on the race will not bring in any new cash. It will only cost Ironman money.
Quote Reply
Re: IMF 2020 [LouisQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LouisQ wrote:
I do not think it matters whether Ironman or PCB want the race to happen. At the end of the day, with the combined IM and 70.3, the race is going to need 3,000 or more volunteers to make it happen. I do not foresee any circumstances under which that many people will volunteer to stand in the sun all day, wearing masks and gloves, to volunteer for the race. And if the race goes forward with an insufficient number of volunteers, the best case scenario is that the race experience suffers. At worst, someone gets hurt. I just don't see the race happening.

Moreover, Ironman has everyone's money already. Putting on the race will not bring in any new cash. It will only cost Ironman money.

Good point on the volunteer situation. Only IMFL knows the current status of that now. However, Ironman has to demonstrate that racing is back before new registration money will flow. Very few people are going to throw good money after bad when the entire enterprise may be going under.
Quote Reply