Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today is Runstreak day 2400. 24hrs in the day.... 1 mile every hour. Started at midnight 8 to go

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Today is Runstreak day 2400. 24hrs in the day.... 1 mile every hour. Started at midnight 8 to go

waaaah!

when i was in high school we had this thing called the 24hr relay. you're basically doing it. 10 on a team. it was around a track. we had a kind of all-start HS team, from our league. we did 255 miles, which means you're resting for 47 or so minutes between each mile (not counting the time it takes to run the mile). one my epic lifetime memories.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty pics girl!

you look even better w/o the bling and the background rocks too!
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s awesome. I love that idea. We had a runathon in grammar school with kinda the same thing.

I run, jump in the pool and yea there’s like 45min left. Eating is hard. Just did mile 17 and clocked a 5:49

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

waaaah!

when i was in high school we had this thing called the 24hr relay. you're basically doing it. 10 on a team. it was around a track. we had a kind of all-start HS team, from our league. we did 255 miles, which means you're resting for 47 or so minutes between each mile (not counting the time it takes to run the mile). one my epic lifetime memories.

Hey this is a great idea. Maybe get a bunch of friends together, go to the local track, hang out distanced, two teams of 8 each, and 1 mile per person. If you can keep up just short of 8 miles per hour, you'd basically cover 62 miles in 8 hours. This is 100km.

so you'd be mixing metric and imperial, but everyone runs 1 mile, around once per hour at 8 mile pace, and you cover 100km in 8 hrs. You'd have 6 team members doing 8 turns and two doing 7 turns to get to 100km. If you have 4 person teams, then its 16 turns on the track for half the team and 15 for the other half to hit 62 miles (100km).

If you wanted to make it even more fun, the other team members have to go and bike a 10km loop off each run....10km you could take anywhere from 15-20 minutes. You'd have to do 10x10km so on a bunch you'd have a longer rest.

So the team ends up doing 100km of running and 400km of biking. We just need to find a pool or lake nearby to cram in some swimming loops to complicate this more!
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha

Yea don’t over complicate it, but yes, it’s a fun idea and was a lot of fun to do solo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished riding NJ top to bottom with a friend yesterday. Broke it up into two days instead of one (look up The Longest Day Ride if interested) since we live in central Jersey. First day ended up being 70 miles with high heat and humidity. Second day was 143 miles with better temps, mid 70’s, but rained pretty much the whole time except for the last 40 miles. Averaged 16.5 mph for both days which we were pretty proud of!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm in the middle of #1 and #2, I guess.

1. Recover from Bypass Surgery.
2. Complete the GV-RAT, 1000mi, and possibly (very outside chance, but I'm not on pace to finish in time just yet) complete the double (GV-BAT: Back Across Tennessee).
3. I have my sights on another sub-40 10km attempt in December.
4. The family has also challenged me to a private 5K race where I have to complete the 5K in half of their fastest time.

Dunno how "epic" #3, and #4 are....though.

if i was you, falling asleep in the evening and awakening in the morning would be the completion of my most epic challenge. so, that accomplishment now in your rear view mirror, anything you do athletically beyond that, i salute, my friend. sub-40 at your age for a 10k would be pretty darned good.

Well....July turned out to be pretty epic for me. I'm at 850+ miles in the GVRAT (working my way back to the start). I finished the RAT in 81 days, and should finish the return trip in 30-35 days. I ran 360 miles in July, and walked 140...for a total of 500 miles logged in the GVRAT. When I woke up yesterday, I realized I was at 473 miles (351 running, 122 walking) for July. I ran 8 at lunch and 15 after work, and walked 2 with the dogs in the morning, and 3 while attending a virtual meeting. 27 miles done. I'm now well above the pace needed to finish the race back across Tennessee...and, could finish somewhere between 500-1000th place for total miles covered (out of the 19,000+ entrants). After a slow start, I'm now in the top-100 for miles per day over the last week, and top-120 for total miles in July.

Pretty proud of all that. August 12th will be my 6 month anniversary.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 1, 20 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
My summer evenings are usually consumed spending time on deck coaching a local youth Y swim team. That's because I'm always too late to say "Not it!" when they ask who will head up the summer program. This summer is obviously different, and the deck time is not a thing. But, I didn't want to leave the swimmers in the lurch, so I've been taking a gang out on open water swims a few times a week. I was nervous they were going to hate it, but they LOVE it. The swimmers have had a blast as we've explored so much shoreline of a local lake.

Right at the start, they asked if we could swim around the entire lake. I thought that was nuts, but now it doesn't seem that bad. We have a tentative route mapped out which will get us to ~3.5-4 miles (or more if we add in some of the coves around the lake). I sent out the proposed route, and a half dozen swimmers instantly said they want in.

Granted, in ST world, a swim of this distance doesn't usually reach the "epic" bar (especially since we will be taking breaks to re-group as we navigate the route). But, this will be my longest swim ever, and I feel like I should get extra "epic points" for bringing along a gaggle of teenagers for the adventure. These kids are real swimmers, and they were stuck without a pool for workouts. Now, it's all about the open water!

A report will follow.

We have now completed the swim around the lake. 4.5 miles. We had 7 youth swimmers + 2 coaches swimming and the head coach in the kayak as our spotter. The kids had a blast, and the local Newspaper was at the finish to interview the kids. The parents all had fun too. They were all at a spot about 2/3 of the way through the swim to cheer us on and provide hydration/calories. Good times. This was my longest swim by about a mile.

Now, they're bugging me to do 2 laps around the lake. Yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two years ago a buddy and i did a 50 hour fast pack trip on the high sierra trail. that was a blast.

we decided to add some biking in this year so earlier this month we went out to lone pine for a weekend, did horseshoe meadow and whitney portal on our bikes the first day and then did the whitney day hike the next day. pretty fun little multi sport weekend. it was really hot the weekend we were there and cycling up the exposed climb of whitney portal in the middle of the day probably wasnt the best idea. we live close to the sierras on the other side so we do big mountains all the time, but man horseshoe meadow was just so different in so many ways. if anyone has the chance to do that i highly suggest it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I totally missed this post and put my thing up in another similar thread.

I am planning to do an "everesting" type situation on the run, unassisted, but only reaching the height of Maunakea in December.

I wanted to focus more on running this year since I am hoping once races return I can run a marathon and then go back to Triathlon. When I look at "everesting" for running, I felt like while an assisted attempt can be very similar to cycling's version, in terms of effort and "do-ability" (for a normal person, not an elite athlete). However, being hard to coordinate an assisted attempt needing support and the feeling that running downhill makes the achievement more notable, I want to stick with unassisted. For a "normal" person who is not an ultra-runner, I felt like doing somewhere around half of Sagarmatha's height would be an equivalent achievement to doing it on a bike.

The choice of Maunakea was easy for me, despite living in Portland, I am from Hilo so the mountain has meaning, it is only slightly less than half of Sagarmatha and lastly, I didn't want to choose a local mountain since those mountains still bear their colonialist names and while they have local names, they usually have several different names associated with several tribes & languages so I am not one to pick the one they should be referred to.

Perhaps after this if there is still no hope for racing to return, I may make the next goal Denali and if I am feeling frisky after that, Sagarmatha.

And if anyone is wondering, yes "everest" has two indigenous names that it was referred to by for hundreds of year before colonialists came to claim them. The names are Sagarmatha or Chomolungma. Sir George Everest himself was opposed to naming the mountain in something that couldn't be written in Hindi.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished R2R2R

Hardest thing I have ever done. But absolutely worth it. It was amazing

Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your Mauna Kea attempt! Agreed about the naming of mountains and other landmarks that already had names in the first place!

I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am targeting 25x400IM swim by end of year, but my issue is that I can only get pool blocks one hour at a time locally. I did a test set of 7x400IM in 56 minutes today which is all I can fit in during 1 hrs, so I would have to get 4 back to back to back 60 minute slots (I need 3.5 hrs to finish the set) and each slot has a 15 min break so that feels like cheating. So I am trying to contact the city and seeing how I can rent a 3.5 hrs block of two lanes and get some friends in for 10,000m at the same time.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 20, 20 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Just finished R2R2R

Hardest thing I have ever done. But absolutely worth it. It was amazing

Any chance of a quick recap? Would love to do this one day. Any specific training prior?
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Let me recover a bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Yes. Let me recover a bit.

Ugh. Fine! :)
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick recap.... We started at 4:15a from South Kaibab and returned up Bright Angel. BA has water on the way back up SK does not.

It is hard, especially when the canyon is over 100 in the afternoon. It is an amazing journey and one I think is doable for most willing to suffer. When all the water stations are on, pack a smaller bladder. My biggest lessons are that I carried too much stuff (2.5L bladder)15L pack. I will pack much lighter next time (its like ironman, you are never going to do it again, until after you do it...LOL)

Training... I run all the time, everyday. and I had 140mi in the month before I went. I had a 12mi trail run in Flagstaff, a 8mi run at South Mountain, and 4/5 short <5mi runs in Phoenix on the local trails. Thats all.

Bring poles, even if you don't want to. They are gonna save you if you start to suffer on the climbs.

Phantom Ranch does not have Coke!!! I mean, I guess I should have known this but man I wanted one bad.

Jump in the river whenever you are starting to overheat. Hit Ribbon Falls and stand underneath.

LMK what other questions I can answer for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Quick recap.... We started at 4:15a from South Kaibab and returned up Bright Angel. BA has water on the way back up SK does not.

It is hard, especially when the canyon is over 100 in the afternoon. It is an amazing journey and one I think is doable for most willing to suffer. When all the water stations are on, pack a smaller bladder. My biggest lessons are that I carried too much stuff (2.5L bladder)15L pack. I will pack much lighter next time (its like ironman, you are never going to do it again, until after you do it...LOL)

Training... I run all the time, everyday. and I had 140mi in the month before I went. I had a 12mi trail run in Flagstaff, a 8mi run at South Mountain, and 4/5 short <5mi runs in Phoenix on the local trails. Thats all.

Bring poles, even if you don't want to. They are gonna save you if you start to suffer on the climbs.

Phantom Ranch does not have Coke!!! I mean, I guess I should have known this but man I wanted one bad.

Jump in the river whenever you are starting to overheat. Hit Ribbon Falls and stand underneath.

LMK what other questions I can answer for you.

Thank you!! How long did it take you? How many of there were you? How much water/fluids did you consume total?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there were 14 of us, one being Pedro Gomez (pro triathlete) he went 10:09

We were somewhat together in groups of 4/5 throughout most of the day. Most were 12/13hrs moving time. I had to help a friend up Bright Angel as he got heat exhaustion. He threw up 3x on the way up and could only walk for a few minutes at a time. He finally came around at about 1.5mi to go, but still walking slow. It took 16:41 with 14:55 moving time

I drank approx 7-8L of tailwind(2500-2800 cal). I had a small water bottle that I used to clear the taste out of my mouth, and spray on me to cool off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much!

I think I’ve found my 2021 post Covid challenge.

Congrats again on completing it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO IT!!!

You will not be disappointed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, let's see. I did a Gran Fondo ride solo. This resulted in me knocking out a century with a 19.3 mph moving average, which I figure isn't too bad. (Steel road bike, Hed Jets, skinsuit, aero helmet, handlebar bag, Camelbak, so not really a full aero setup.)

Shortly thereafter, some friends talked me into doing a 14er, where you climb 14k feet. This is a more human version of Everesting. However, these 'friends' proposed doing a 14er on gravel. Thanks to a miscommunication about the elevation gain per lap, I only got about 12k feet of climbing in, but I was fried by then. It was like 90 degrees out. I am happy enough. And that actually translated into a gravel century plus - although, granted, I only pedaled 60 of the 120 miles (but they were all uphill both ways, dang it).

What's left? They were asking about duathlons on another thread. I'm actually a roadie, so the normal number of duathlons I do per year is zero. However, I can run, and I have run enough this year that I could probably DIY an Olympic distance duathlon. I'm considering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first 24 hour race scheduled for May was canceled. I solo-ed it in April around my neighborhood. 100 miles in just over 21 hours. Before that I never ran more than 31 miles.

I was on a run in my hometown with my dad the other day and we circled the town water tower a few times in the middle of the run. We started to talk about how many laps would be a mile and estimated each loop was about .03 miles... So roughly 100 laps around the water tower to reach a 5k. The phrase water tower marathon came up and that seems like something stupid enough for me to try. 850 laps or so around the town water tower.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No posts about it here and I'm guessing he wouldn't want it to have it's own thread (yet), but Adam Feigh is going for the 24 hour road cycling distance world record starting tomorrow morning. Everything is certified and he certainly has a real shot at taking it. Here is a 264 mile ride of his a few weeks ago with an average speed of over 24mph on 220w avg. Current record is ~521 miles. Adam has stated he is shooting for about 220 watts and is riding his Tririg Omni with DT Swiss wheels, kitted with all the required safety gear (lights, reflectors). He'll be riding an 8 mile loop near his home in Grand Junction, CO.

I'm expecting we'll get his thoughts on slowtwitch after, but wishing the best for him!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: What is your solo (or near-solo) epic endurance journey this year? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
official event was cancelled, but we went and rode it anyway, an ultra fondo 120 miles / 12k ft climbing,

supposed to hike the Haute Route in Switzerland in Sept then watch stage 16&17 of TdF, but not looking good for US entry into EU right now. backup plan is 2 week cycling tour thru Colorado

Update. My Switzerland/TdF didn't happen, and neither did my 2 weeks in Colorado. I tested positive day before supposed to leave for CO. So instead of riding Mt. Evans, mtb'ing the CO Trail, or hiking Long's Peak keyhole, I sat on my butt in isolation quarantine at the house. This year has sucked so bad. New Year's Eve will never have been celebrated as hard as Dec 31, 2020 will be.
Last edited by: DV8R: Oct 2, 20 19:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next