Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 - Waco
Quote | Reply
Anyone been hearing anything positive or negative about this happening October 18th?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [BLRoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesnt directly answer your question, but with them combining it with ironman texas i wouldnt be too interested in trying to do that race. i did waco last year and had a great time, good venue, but i couldnt imagine trying to cram all the 70.3 and full distance people in that space.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 start time has been moved to noon on Sunday to accommodate the full IM. I would be pretty annoyed by that if I was doing the 70.3 unless I lived nearby.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
The 70.3 start time has been moved to noon on Sunday to accommodate the full IM. I would be pretty annoyed by that if I was doing the 70.3 unless I lived nearby.

I would be annoyed even if I lived nearby. The late start defeats the temperature savings that a late October Texas Tri offers. Midday that time of year will likely still be high 80s with a real feel above 90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the moment, cases and deaths in Texas appear to be headed in the right direction. Schools and Universities are openOmg over the next few weeks. If that doesn’t result in an overwhelming spike, then I could see the race still happening.

Not a fan of the noon start, but I have more miles running and biking this year than at any point in my life so I’ll be there if it happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also signed up. Hoping it gets cancelled. Noon start and combining with IM Texas will make for a garbage race.

I'm not optimistic for a 2020 season & I doubt this will be the first IM event to happen. Expecting the reopening of schools to create another spike in Texas and for this event to be cancelled as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait there's still a chance this happens? Which one of you crazy bastards are going to do the back to back full/half? Good opportunity for the crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I need to comment here or are we good?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Do I need to comment here or are we good?[/quote

Never heard of you bud.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Never heard of you bud.

Why would you have heard of me?

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen. Enjoyed the race last year and signed up for this year early on but there is no way I am flying halfway across the country to race in Texas starting at noon. For Ironman to take that weekend, for which people had signed up for one thing, and take that race and push it to the background to fit another one shows what they think of the customer. Really? That is not what I signed up for but I have no recourse other than losing my entry fee? The contrarian, business “capitalist” jock sniffing apologist can keep their excuses for Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Lubbock could happen, but all the headlines specifically mentioning Lubbock made it untenable. I don't think Waco will run into the same issue since there are far larger things kicking off before the race happens that will be stealing all the headlines (schools, university, etc.). And no writer in Texas would do something to get a college football game cancelled.

However, I don't see the timing working out. Right now the governor has an order in place that still prohibits large groups. Unless that gets lifted, it's probably a battle IM isn't willing to fight. Universities are going back this month, schools open next month. Four weeks after schools open will still be in the time frame of when they are deciding if opening schools kicked off an apocalypse or not, so the governor's order won't be lifted.

All that said, I'm going to keep training like it's going to happen. I'm back to my wedding day weight, and I'm not going to squander the fitness just because a race is cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really thought and wanted ST George to happen so I could give GMAN a virtual middle finger, but he was correct long ago about this season. I am now a soulless GMAN zombie telling all my friends signed up for late season races that there is no way they are racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
I really thought and wanted ST George to happen so I could give GMAN a virtual middle finger, but he was correct long ago about this season. I am now a soulless GMAN zombie telling all my friends signed up for late season races that there is no way they are racing.

Oh he's one of these I told you so clowns rooting for everything until the end of time to be cancelled? Noted and delightfully blocked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually reached out to them I think last week (time is all running together at this point) and asked about this since shit has kind of been hitting the fan here for a while and everyone seems to have forgotten how to social distance. They told me that as of right now its on and there is no deferral option at this time.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
spasmus wrote:

Oh he's one of these I told you so clowns rooting for everything until the end of time to be cancelled? Noted and delightfully blocked.

You’d be incorrect. I have not been a told you so person about this and want races to happen. I’m just a realist. Big difference.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:

I’ve never once gloated about being right about this shit. Everything about it sucks. I want you to race. I want me to race. I want my friends to race. None of that is realistic right now though. So not sure why you want to give me the finger. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
And no writer in Texas would do something to get a college football game cancelled.
I was wondering what the decision making process for the weekend will be like with Baylor playing OSU in Waco on Oct 17. (Are fans going to be allowed in McLane Stadium?)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the schedule out? Is that game day? If so, I may have to try to get a hotel if any are left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was meant to be funny.
Guess I should have used the PINK
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Is the schedule out? Is that game day? If so, I may have to try to get a hotel if any are left.
Link to their schedule as of last Wednesday, Aug 12th, with Baylor playing at home vs OSU on Oct 17th.

Who knows how this might change, and whether or not they plan to have fans in the stadium.

https://baylorbears.com/news/2020/8/12/baylors-amended-2020-football-schedule-released

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
For the life of me (no pun intended), I cannot imagine why anyone would be willing to do a race this fall, especially in a region in which the Covid is rampant, and with no proper testing or contact tracing. Even if one is willing to assume the additional risk of racing at this time, there still is the problem of potentially endangering lives at the race venue, at home, and points in-between. This is the first season since 1979 that I have not raced. I miss racing a lot; I also understand that others have committed a considerable amount of time and expense to prepare for their races. But this, I think, does not outweigh basic concepts of epidemiology and social responsibility.

You cant imagine any reason? I have no issue if you want to skip. I am. And you can certainly argue that is the socially responsible thing to do. But, when I see words like “rampant”, you need to tap the brakes a bit. We should take obviously take it seriously. But, to put it in perspective, there are ~29 million people in Texas and 500,000 (reported) covid cases, so ~ 1.7% of our population has the virus. McClennan county has 4,500 cases and 256,000 people in the county, also about 1.7%. Let’s be factual if we are going to discuss what you are labeling “rampant”.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 - Waco [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
For the life of me (no pun intended), I cannot imagine why anyone would be willing to do a race this fall, especially in a region in which the Covid is rampant, and with no proper testing or contact tracing. Even if one is willing to assume the additional risk of racing at this time, there still is the problem of potentially endangering lives at the race venue, at home, and points in-between. This is the first season since 1979 that I have not raced. I miss racing a lot; I also understand that others have committed a considerable amount of time and expense to prepare for their races. But this, I think, does not outweigh basic concepts of epidemiology and social responsibility.

You cant imagine any reason? I have no issue if you want to skip. I am. And you can certainly argue that is the socially responsible thing to do. But, when I see words like “rampant”, you need to tap the brakes a bit. We should take obviously take it seriously. But, to put it in perspective, there are ~29 million people in Texas and 500,000 (reported) covid cases, so ~ 1.7% of our population has the virus. McClennan county has 4,500 cases and 256,000 people in the county, also about 1.7%. Let’s be factual if we are going to discuss what you are labeling “rampant”.

You don't think 1/2 million qualifies as rampant?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next