Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:
If a race goes, I'm racing

No worries

Great! So you race, have a great performance, and then come home, where that might be. On return, you won't be near family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, essential workers, public officials, or other people who might have compromised immune systems or who might be connected to people who have compromised immune systems. Just trying to get my head around the desire to go to a major race in a time of pandemic.

My only fault with Cozumel's release is that if they require such a release regarding Covid, then they probably shouldn't be hosting the event.

t's a weird thing.... My personal experience with this pandemic is vastly different than what I read and hear.

I go to work everyday where 8500 people work indoors in close quarters. Very little is different from before the pandemic besides masks which hardly anyone wears correctly. There are no pandemic related issues that would be anymore than the normal seasonal sickness in a place this size

I go to the gym 4 days a week since May 1. No masks. Gym is almost full (not quite pre-pandemic numbers), basketball courts, treadmills, pool, weight areas are being used with normal courtesy cleaning. No issues

My parents are in their 70's along with aunts in their 80's. They have also been living life as normal (Church, stores etc...) with no issues.

The past few weekends I attended multiple graduation parties. They were put on as normal with no issues.

I train outside as normal including runs in the park that is being used normally by others who are exercising and enjoying the outdoors. I would say that the numbers are down from pre-pandemic levels. No one is wearing masks and I would say this is the place where I see the least social distancing in a public setting.

Right or wrong... I have paid little attention to the "hysteria" surrounding the pandemic. I have never worn a mask outside of where required by my workplace like any other required PPE. I am respectful of those who are more concerned about this virus. I do not get in their personal space and avoid places that may bring me in close contact with those who may be uncomfortable with someone not wearing a mask. However, most places that I frequent, about 25% are wearing masks.

I don't know one person who has or has had C19 nor anyone who knows anyone who has or has had C19

That's not weird.

What's weird is that the tone of your post suggests you think everything is fine and will remain so just because you haven't personally experienced it yet. You speak as though what matters is whether you make people feel uncomfortable rather than whether you are putting them at unnecessary risk. You do realise that this pandemic is in fact a real thing that has killed hundreds of thousands already, a disproportionate number of them in your own country? It's not just hysteria.
The fact that your community sounds like it's taking a rather cavalier attitude should worry you. What's weird is that on the contrary it seems this attitude reassures you that everyone outside your community is making a big deal over nothing. I hope you are lucky enough that your illusion lasts. There's a reasonable chance that it won't, and that your attitude and that of your acquaintances will kill a fair number of people. Good luck.

Of course the pandemic is real. I follow all required guidelines.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, I work in healthcare. I’ve been treating and dealing with this since day 1. I know a little about what I’m talking about.

This is direct from the CDC......

“ In general, your risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19 increases as you get older. In fact, 8 out of 10 COVID-19-related deaths reported in the United States have been among adults aged 65 years and older.”

So go do the math. 158,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US. That means 31,500 of them were under age 65. And we also know that a lot of Covid deaths are being reported Covid even though they had pre-existing conditions. Of those 31,500 there were certainly many with pre-existing conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So even though under 65 probably won’t die people should take a chance of either being asymptomatic or if you have symptoms being sick from anywhere between 3 days and 3 months with lasting health problems? That seems insanely stupid to tell that portion of the population to not get a vaccine.

And you work in healthcare so you should know that death isn’t the only bad outcome of this thing. Pretty sure there are a handful of under 65 health people on this site who have had it and are having issues months after.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Uh, I work in healthcare. I’ve been treating and dealing with this since day 1. I know a little about what I’m talking about.

This is direct from the CDC......

“ In general, your risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19 increases as you get older. In fact, 8 out of 10 COVID-19-related deaths reported in the United States have been among adults aged 65 years and older.”

So go do the math. 158,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US. That means 31,500 of them were under age 65. And we also know that a lot of Covid deaths are being reported Covid even though they had pre-existing conditions. Of those 31,500 there were certainly many with pre-existing conditions.

I'm curious... while i may not die from covid... and a healthcare worker, what do you think will be the impact of covid on my marathon time??
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These kind of waivers will become the norm.....we went to lake placid to do some hiking last week ( kept our im hotel reservation), and the hotel had us sign a waiver a week before we arrived.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I understand you’re approaching it from a legal stand point but in that case they could throw a force majeure card on you. Good luck debating with their lawyers after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [rcb.tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a loaner. Train alone. Live alone and avoid my family just in case. I’ll sign the waiver. I’ll race and I’ll enjoy it. I’ll come home wait 14 days quarantined and be fine and go back to life. Let’s go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you gotten a response from Ironman yet about transferring? I sent my third request today after getting no response on the first email and an automated ticket number acknowledging my request three days ago, but no action and I am 45 days out as of today.

My hope is that you have better luck than I have so far in moving to a 2021 race.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you email the address listed on the registration page @ asdeporte? I had my deferral processed in <12 hours by emailing that address.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE:

I e-mailed the organizers - specifically Adesporte.

They got back to me in about 12 hours to tell me: "Race 2020 will happen with all the healthcare safety protocols... Are You sure You want to deferr to 2021?, Once You are on 2021, We won´t be able to get You back to 2020."

I replied to assure them that I was in fact sure that I wanted to defer to 2021.

I have not yet received a reply.

I'll post back as soon as I do.
Last edited by: BowwwwBallll: Aug 7, 20 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
UPDATE:

I e-mailed the organizers - specifically Adesporte.

They got back to me in about 12 hours to tell me: "Race 2020 will happen with all the healthcare safety protocols... Are You sure You want to deferr to 2021?, Once You are on 2021, We won´t be able to get You back to 2020."

I replied to assure them that I was in fact sure that I wanted to defer to 2021.

I have not yet received a reply.

I'll post back as soon as I do.

Update to the update:

Thanks to a very gracious interaction with Adesporte, I am deferred to 2021, so God willing and the creek don't rise, I will see you all there.
Last edited by: BowwwwBallll: Aug 12, 20 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're confident that a 2021 IMC event will happen, eh?

This is contingent on so many variables, not the least important are:

1) COVID-19 spread is arrested
2) The event still exists
3) WTC still exists

Also (TL;DR all the previous pages of this) can an organization registered in FL/USA like race host or registration company demand a change to the waiver/indemnification after it's been signed, etc.? If you said "no", would they then be req to refund your $?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel Demanding Athletes Sign a COVID-19 Waiver/Release [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
You're confident that a 2021 IMC event will happen, eh?

Nope. But since the money is already spent, I figured why not kick the can down the road? If it's not going off in 2021, I'll defer until 2022, or I'll lose the money, or IM will give me a discount code for a 2011 IM Lake Placid event backpack or some other garbage from the back of the warehouse.

philly1x wrote:
Also (TL;DR all the previous pages of this) can an organization registered in FL/USA like race host or registration company demand a change to the waiver/indemnification after it's been signed, etc.? If you said "no", would they then be req to refund your $?

That is a question that no one really has the answer to.

As a general proposition, a change in the terms of the transaction would have to be "material" to justify the recission of the agreement.

What is "material" is a creature of state law and prior precedent. It is an open question as to whether the current circumstances and the added risk that the organizers want competitors to waive are "material" changes. I think they are. There is a colorable argument that they are not.

What "state" law will apply is a more settled question. Although there are still going to be arguments as to which set of laws will apply, that determination is likely more easily made.

Who the parties are is also an interesting question, because we have a local organizer, but that organizer is arguably beholden to a set of standards imposed by the branding entity.

The short answer is that someone is going to spend a lot of billable hours answering those questions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next