Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?)
Quote | Reply
You have time for 2-3 sessions per week, say 30 minutes(ish). If strength; what exercises / app do you do or use, and why? If yoga, studio or app?

I've dealt with injuries (swimmer's shoulder, Achilles tendonopothy, ITBS) over the years, and am inflexible AF (55 yr old male here). I've compiled list upon list of exercises, which I've done with varying success for the injuries. I use The Sufferfest app, and have dabbled in their strength training workout, as well as recently starting their yoga workouts (or flows, or whatever they're called).

Usually when I'm doing one, I'm thinking to my self I would get more bang for my buck doing the other.

All input is appreciated.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strength.

Lift heavy things (relatively speaking) :)

Bench press, lat pull down, curls - just the basics.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At three sessions per week I would do two strength and one yoga (or maybe two yoga). If you have that many injuries and are that inflexible, then I think yoga might be a better option
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Strength.

Lift heavy things (relatively speaking) :)

Bench press, lat pull down, curls - just the basics.

Same. Lifting heavy stuff is as fun as going fast in SBR. Also, strength training done right can ensure your staying flexible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strength.

People do yoga to gain more "flexibility" which isn't always a good thing if you can't control ranges of motion (mobility). Hell most people can't even clearly define what flexibility is.

Yoga is good and has benefits, but in the long run strength will do more preventative care than yoga.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strength. Bis and Tris all day long. Doesn't everyone want to look diesel... and move with quick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoga...because you can use it for strength in addition to flexibility, mobility, vitality, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strength work...by a land slide.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Yoga...because you can use it for strength in addition to flexibility, mobility, vitality, etc...

strength? would like to see a pure yoga person enter powerlifting / strongman competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 days strength and 1 day yoga. You can add strength sessions into bike/run to supplement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46 yo M also with garbage flexibility. If anyone here is training for SBR and not doing 2-3 yoga practices a week I would recommend you try it consistently for a month and see what you think.

I was doing yoga regularly a few years ago, got away from it. In June I tried the Down Dog app and did yoga every day for the month of June. I felt better strength and mobility in every aspect of life. Hell, even my sleep improved. That month has convinced me that yoga is a key aspect of my training going forward. I honestly believe that 20 min a day will change you.

Also, lifting heavy things is good. If you can find enough time for both, do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strength all day long.

Nobody ever said "I have to dedicate this race win to my yoga routine".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Like most others have said, Strength X2, and yoga X1

Find a nice whole body split. I like to do pullups between my squat sets. Bench and wallballs? Throw everything at your body and skip the rest between sets.

and check out ROMWOD for flexibility. I like yoga but its hard to find a good keep it moving app or youtube video.
Maybe Sean V Yoga?

https://www.youtube.com/user/motleyfitness

https://romwod.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither.
Pilates Reformer classes, 3x a week.
Flexion does not mean control, strength does not mean control.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
Neither.
Pilates Reformer classes, 3x a week.
Flexion does not mean control, strength does not mean control.

Pilates is savage. My wife unit was a ballerina. She destroys me with pilates, and we don't even have a reformer but she has her eyes on one.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga or Strength Training if you could only do one (and why?) [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for neither *one*, because it sounds like you'd benefit from aspects of both. Pilates would help with functional strength/mobility, or as another option, you might like something like EC fit.

https://ecfitstrength.com/

I'm not affiliated in any way, and I'm not a certified exercise an-y-thing, so add electrolyte powder now. I've been using the app and online classes and I like that:
1. I quickly noticed specific weaknesses in form, even with low load, and can work on corrections BEFORE I'm injuring myself
2. it emphasizes functional movement groups over isolated movement, in a way that seems relevant for my exercise and for life.
3. designed to add on to training schedule w/o overloading
4. UNFUSSY. can do any session any time. can use bag of rocks for kettlebells, movements/equipment/instructions just specific enough to prevent my f***ing it up outright, not more. Nothing against pilates reformer whatsoever, but that didn't fit my schedule, budget, and it felt "fussy" at least for my lifestyle right now.
5. seems to work?! my notoriously poor hip flexibility/mobility has improved noticeably in weeks, and my form weaknesses are appreciably stronger/more stable. I can perform movements I couldn't before and I actually notice those form changes when biking, running and swimming (all 3!).

try a free class, maybe it works for you.

again, I'm NOT an exercise physiologist, PT, or coach. Maybe some of you professionals out there have other similar/preferred training plans like this to recommend or compare against.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would offer an different approach. I do the 15 minute yoga sessions in the Sufferfest app almost everyday. I really find that 6 or 7 short session is better than one or two hour-long sessions and it is such a minimal time commitment that I can get them done consistently. Then I do a couple of 15-20 minute plyometric sessions each week (Sunday and Wednesday evening before my rest/ easier days). No gym or need to leave the basement.
Quote Reply