Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7?
Quote | Reply

Would you buy the SL6 Comp version (black random weave pieces of carbon) in Di2 for $3800 or the SL7 Expert (silver to dark fade) for $5000?

I love the look of the newer bikes without the cables showing but there are really on 3 differences between these two bikes

1. Hidden Cables
2. SL6 has 9r carbon SL7 has 10r (likely won't notice any difference)
3. bottom brackets (pretty sure both are threaded, but the SL7 is newer version?)
4. Updated "Aero" shape of SL7

I wonder if I am being stupid to consider getting the Expert for $1200 more primarily because of the hidden cables.

I was thinking I could just get the aerofly II bars for the 6 (250-300) and just "deal with" the cables exposed. Eventually, if I wanted I could potentially upgrade to a SL7/8 frame later on.

Di2 for 3800 is a real bargain for the SL6. I do like the color of the black, and I also like the color of the silver.

*I have aero wheels, so those don't need to be included. I have Aeolous 50s

Thoughts?
Last edited by: littlefoot: Aug 9, 20 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 1 watt per 10 cm of exposed cables. Depends on how important those savings are to you.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be on the SL6.
I'm on one now and V happy with it.

I'm not racing it (other than maybe an Xtri race that has a shedload of climbing) so the tiny aero difference is irrelevant for training rides.

I also do my own maintenance. Fully integrated = fully PITA. And the extra faff of getting alternative length / angle stems to get a proper fit on the SL7 integrated is a ballache.

SL6 has a proper threaded BB already so no drama on that.

Maybe if you're road race sprinter where the tiny aero change is worth it then maybe the SL7.
But for $1200 difference I'd be getting the SL6 !

The SL6 is rated to 30mm tyres if that has any bearing - I assume SL7 will fit a little larger.
(My SL6 is on 26mm tyres that measure up at 28mm. There's plenty of room still for much more rubber!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I need to remind myself that I don't always have to have the best. I am only riding solo, or rarely with others.

I guess I can wait. I'm actually just getting back into riding, so all the more reason to stay simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Thanks. I need to remind myself that I don't always have to have the best. I am only riding solo, or rarely with others.

I guess I can wait. I'm actually just getting back into riding, so all the more reason to stay simple.

Or, you can buy the bike you really want and not have bike-envy that either follows you for 3 years or leads you to buy another bike prematurely.
Ultimately you need to ride both and see which (if either) speak to you.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco Evenepoel is also riding solo, rarely with others.

And the SL7 saves him a few watts apparently...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always buy the new bike, especially if it will be your primary bike. And this applies to the SL7 in particular. The difference between 10 and 11 might be minimal, but between 9 and 10 I suspect you will easily notice it. Not to mention the other attributes of the new SL7.
Last edited by: NealH: Aug 10, 20 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the SL7.

-You'll enjoy the bike more/longer.

-Higher resale value (a few years from now road bikes without aero cred and with exposed cables are going to be much less desirable).

Both are great bikes, but only one may make you smile every time you glance down at it during a ride.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

Would you buy the SL6 Comp version (black random weave pieces of carbon) in Di2 for $3800 or the SL7 Expert (silver to dark fade) for $5000?

I love the look of the newer bikes without the cables showing but there are really on 3 differences between these two bikes

1. Hidden Cables
3. bottom brackets (pretty sure both are threaded, but the SL7 is newer version?)

I wonder if I am being stupid to consider getting the Expert for $1200 more primarily because of the hidden cables.

I was thinking I could just get the aerofly II bars for the 6 (250-300) and just "deal with" the cables exposed. Eventually, if I wanted I could potentially upgrade to a SL7/8 frame later on.

Di2 for 3800 is a real bargain for the SL6. I do like the color of the black, and I also like the color of the silver.

Thoughts?

Get the SL6 for $3800, strip the parts and sell the frame/fork/seat post, and buy a SL7 frame.l, assuming both are disc-brake equipped.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 10, 20 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Or, you can buy the bike you really want and not have bike-envy that either follows you for 3 years or leads you to buy another bike prematurely.
Ultimately you need to ride both and see which (if either) speak to you.

100% xtrpickels. Just buy the SL7 and get on with living.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

1. Hidden Cables

Thoughts?

Get the SL6 for $3800, strip the parts and sell the frame/fork/seat post, and buy a SL7 frame.l, assuming both are disc-brake equipped.

Not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that. I am not sure how far out the SL7 frameset is, but I never considered that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind Specialized only sells the S-works version of the SL7 frame so its going to be a super premium price tag. The frameset alone is going to cost you what the complete SL6 does and will only be marginally cheaper than the SL7 model you previously listed. Unless you really want the S-works frame I would stick to the regular SL7 of SL6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

1. Hidden Cables

Thoughts?

Also, given the "Venge killer" descriptors of the SL7, you might actually find a Venge Pro on sale somewhere. It's the S-works frame, integrated front end with UDi2. Yes, it's just a little heavier, but not much. I picked one up last year and it's more bike than I'll ever need.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question the SL7, it's a slam dunk! One bike to rule them all.

You want to be cool right? You will still be the same old, slow, boring rider but you will have the cool new bike, thus the ladies will be glancing your way, not to mention if you need to pose at the coffee shop.

The old model with Dura Ace is a great deal just a question of your budget and resale value if you like to upgrade every few years or if you like to swap out parts regularly to try something different.

I am the buy and forget type (no new parts, just replace tires, chain,cassette) that upgrades to a new ride every 5-6 years. Mostly for motivation and getting old and realizing there are not a lot of new bikes left.

I am on the SL6, pro version (non SWORKS) with rim brakes (gasp) with Ultegra 11 speed electronic. It is a nice bike but if some extra cash came my way I would upgrade to have the new and cool model.

Let us know what you decide and remember we are living thru your new bike experience so don't let us down.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure? I thought they sold the basic version for 3k (not S-works), but not the SL6 frame...

https://www.specialized.com/...earchText=74920-1044

$3k

Not cheap. Plain black carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
correct, thats the pro/expert (10R) frame
Last edited by: ollie3856: Aug 11, 20 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason to ask this question is to get proper justification for buying the SL7, so here you go ...

Buy the SL7.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

1. Hidden Cables

Thoughts?

Also, given the "Venge killer" descriptors of the SL7, you might actually find a Venge Pro on sale somewhere. It's the S-works frame, integrated front end with UDi2. Yes, it's just a little heavier, but not much. I picked one up last year and it's more bike than I'll ever need.

Yep...my thought as well. Only ~200g heavier, and more aero than the SL7

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
trismitty wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

1. Hidden Cables

Thoughts?

Yep...my thought as well. Only ~200g heavier, and more aero than the SL7

So, how is the ride quality vs the SL6? I haven't ridden the venge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's great. I read all the reviews before purchasing. Climbing and ride quality were actually 2 of the factors that surprised lots of reviewers as aero bikes tend to be pretty harsh. The Venge re-design was frequently compared to the Tarmac shapes meaning it doesn't look like the typical aero offerings of other companies.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/...zed-venge-pro-review

https://www.feedthehabit.com/...ro-sram-etap-review/

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robmitchell wrote:

You want to be cool right? You will still be the same old, slow, boring rider but you will have the cool new bike, thus the ladies will be glancing your way, not to mention if you need to pose at the coffee shop.

The old model with Dura Ace is a great deal just a question of your budget and resale value if you like to upgrade every few years or if you like to swap out parts regularly to try something different.

I am the buy and forget type (no new parts, just replace tires, chain,cassette) that upgrades to a new ride every 5-6 years. Mostly for motivation and getting old and realizing there are not a lot of new bikes left.

I am on the SL6, pro version (non SWORKS) with rim brakes (gasp) with Ultegra 11 speed electronic. It is a nice bike but if some extra cash came my way I would upgrade to have the new and cool model.

Let us know what you decide and remember we are living thru your new bike experience so don't let us down.

Rob

The SL7 wheels aren’t tubeless compatible, so it isn’t going to be a “buy and forget” bike if you ever plan on going tubeless. I personally think most of the industry will be there in the next year or two. I switched to the the tubeless 5000s on the road bike and the Corsa Speeds on the TT bike and I would never consider going back to tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robmitchell wrote:

Rob

Thanks for the chuckle. I'm likely going to stay on the SL6. I'm probably going to get the aerofly 2 bars and move on. I just can't force myself to spend 1500 more for hiding wires etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the desire for no visible wires/cables - it just looks sweet. But if you are willing to live with a couple of hydraulic cables and want a top-end machine, why not look at the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0? It's $8k all in, nearly identical spec (except the DT Swiss wheels are 4oz heavier than the Roval's).

Is it a fanboy thing? That's cool, too - no judgement. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make up my mind: Specialized SL6 or SL7? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I get the desire for no visible wires/cables - it just looks sweet. But if you are willing to live with a couple of hydraulic cables and want a top-end machine, why not look at the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0? It's $8k all in, nearly identical spec (except the DT Swiss wheels are 4oz heavier than the Roval's).

Is it a fanboy thing? That's cool, too - no judgement. Just curious.

He’s looking at a 4-5k bike, so you suggest something that’s $3k over that??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

1. Hidden Cables

Thoughts?

The ride quality is very different between these bikes. The SL7 is much more balanced and has advantages more than meets the eye as it was designed disc only.

I echo others, and go with a Venge on discount or go with SL7...The only reason to consider SL6 is rim brakes
Quote Reply

Prev Next