Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Total transition times for 70.3
Quote | Reply
Hi STrs,

Still havent done my first Ironman 70.3, bit have done 2 sprints and olympic low key events. I am just trying to guesstimate how much time to allow for my total time. I know every race and logistics are different but for this scenario make the example Oceanside.

If I did 2:00/100 average for swim roughly 42 min
3hour bike
1 hour 45 min run

5 hour 27 minutes plus run from ocean +t1 and t2. Im guessing an average of 10 to 15 more minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Total transition times for 70.3 [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The process is the same as a sprint/Oly race. It's just a matter of how large the race is and how much distance you have to cover. Look at past years race results and you can get an idea of how long fast guys or mid-pack guys are taking in transition.

I was just over 8 minutes the last time I did Oceanside. That was in 2004, the setup may have changed since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Total transition times for 70.3 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Look at the MOP transition times in your AG.

FOPers are going to run the transition faster...because they are faster runners (and many 70.3s have significant T1 runs and large transition areas to run through compared to sprints/olys).

MOPers are more likely to avoid flying mounts and run T1 in their cleats.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When looking at past Oceanside results remember that they were going to change the swim from a harbor swim to an ocean swim so transition could be set up differently. I think I did almost 14 minutes in transition in 2018 so there is no reason to expect that anyone would spend more than 10 minutes in transition.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the length of the transition area and wetsuit. In a normal non-wetsuit IM-branded 70.3, I do 5-6 total minutes. I do about 5 minutes in Augusta and 6 minutes in Gulf Coast. By contrast, Nice has a massive transition, and my T1 was about 3:40 there. (T2 was big slow due to injury.)
Quote Reply
Re: Total transition times for 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree to check similar time finishes in your race. FWIW, my Augusta total transition was about 9 mins. I'm probably not the fastest through transition, took extra time for sunscreen, and don't run too aggressively in my bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Total transition times for 70.3 [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
When looking at past Oceanside results remember that they were going to change the swim from a harbor swim to an ocean swim so transition could be set up differently. I think I did almost 14 minutes in transition in 2018 so there is no reason to expect that anyone would spend more than 10 minutes in transition.

"Ocean swim" and "harbor swim" at Oceanside both still have the same swim out/T1 entrance from the harbor boat launch. the only difference is starting on the beach into the waves or starting in the harbor.. so transition times are the same. Oceanside is going to have longer transition times vs. other races.. the T area is long and it is a long run from from swim out, to the end of the pier, to your bike, then to bike out. Same is true for T2 (but you do get to ride your bike to the end of the pier.. (slowly)

Each race is going to be different depending on how transition is set up. CdA70.3 is "quick" due to a smaller/wide transition area and no extra running. Arizona added a LONG run from swim out to your bike. Just one example on how you really can't compare times from course to course.

Last edited by: gregtay: Aug 11, 20 14:16
Quote Reply