Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider?
Quote | Reply
COVID I’m sure has caused many to do a reality check on life in general. Will this happen for me personally ?? ......... probably not. Too many uncertainties with 2 teenage kids and owning a home, debt, “what-if’s” on medical bills if things were to crop up, etc...... But what if ?? What if you just pulled the plug and said screw it, I’m buying a camper (or alternative) and just traveling around.......... Too far fetched?
Has anyone researched, looked at, or have a “pop-up” type camper (small but roomy enough time basically live in).
Living a pipe dream ...............
Let me dream ok!!??
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For traveling purposes I believe you'd want a self-contained living unit. Both pulling a trailer and setting up at campsites is not fun; especially so the more often you have to do it.

This is the reason that there's been a rise in the Camper-van in the past few years.

If you're gonna do it. Might as well do it right:
https://earthroamer.com/

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Aug 10, 20 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yo!!
That is pretty damn cool.
Thanks for sending.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A pipe dream for many... gotta wait for the kids to be out of the house though.

Find an RV, tow a small car in case you want to explore without your entire house coming with you (Jeep would be perfect), cash out any equity in your home, and sell all your excessive shit.

Depending on your healthcare issues, might be worth finding an online remote job (plenty of those now thanks to COVID) just for the health insurance. Need a plan that isn't geography-based though of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pleasure-way is top tier in small RV’s, imho. But they are not cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Cody and Bjarne have pretty sweet setups, albeit for skiing instead of triathlon.
Last edited by: bufordt: Aug 10, 20 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit screwing around and get back to work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, my favorite fantasy ;-)

lived in a Ford Econoline 150 for a year, 90-91, and that worked well. Built a bed in the back, under-bed storage and a box which doubled as a kitchen table in front of the bed. Front seats swiveled so could go from driving to cooking in a couple of minutes. Only problem was no bathroom, not an issue in the woods (it's all one giant bathroom !) but travelling between wild areas, had to find a Mickey D's or something..
These days I have a groover for canoe trips which seals well and empties at any RV dump station, would just make a space for that somewhere, possibly on a rear luggage rack..

since we still have college kids sucking down all our disposable income and more, retirement isn't happening any time soon.
I've been eyeing the small Hiker Trailer campers, light and easy to tow, can get an off-road version, not massively expensive.
Pop-up campers are a lot of work to set up, much worse than pitching a tent. I used to camp with a friend who had one, it was too much work for me.

House will be paid off in 2025 if no new thing arises. Theoretically a few years after that, if the kids have managed to find jobs, we may just rent it out for a year or two, get that little camper, and wander off..

A friend who retired early has a custom Sprinter van, solar panels on the roof, under-bed storage for four bikes, two road and two mtb, and a Park Tool workshop built in..commutes between Okanagan valley in BC for summers and Paradise AZ for winters..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, my favorite topic other than nutrition...

We did this - mid-life, while our kids were in grade school. We quit everything and took a year to travel the US National Parks, mostly.

Driving your home (an RV) is much easier to park, but towing your home (a trailer) is much easier to live in. A trailer is particularly great when you have more than 2 people and definitely if you have a dog. There are plenty of hiking trails and interesting little restaurants where dogs weren't allowed, and so we needed a safe, air-conditioned unit to leave plugged-in at a campsite to keep ours cool at times.

Sure, an RV towing a small vehicle would accomplish the same thing, but you don't escape the annoyance of towing, and the huge expense wasn't for us. We bought a 27-ft Airstream and didn't already own a truck, and that was still at least $100k less than it would have cost to buy an RV livable for 4. And when our truck needed work, we weren't homeless - we even traded it in for a new one in St. George one afternoon after a morning hike at Zion.

But if we were in the market for a pop-up that fits in a garage... https://taxaoutdoors.com/

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
COVID I’m sure has caused many to do a reality check on life in general. Will this happen for me personally ?? ......... probably not. Too many uncertainties with 2 teenage kids and owning a home, debt, “what-if’s” on medical bills if things were to crop up, etc...... But what if ?? What if you just pulled the plug and said screw it, I’m buying a camper (or alternative) and just traveling around.......... Too far fetched?
Has anyone researched, looked at, or have a “pop-up” type camper (small but roomy enough time basically live in).
Let me dream ok!!??

In January I wanted to try this. I followed a friend's advice and rather than buy an RV I rented for a month.

It took me 3 days to realize this was not the life for me. Not in North America at least.

I would like to try it in Europe however to see if the vibe is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you go the truck route and it is just you, maybe a dog or wife, this is a nice set up;

https://www.ebay.com/...c:g:v8cAAOSwDdxekhCn

Drives like it is not even there, and all the amenities of a full size RV. Get the electric jacks, then you can just leave it in a campsite and have the truck for your drive around vehicle. This set up also lets you take the road less travelled, especially if you have a 4x4 truck. Dan and I used these for 20 years, he actually still has his and uses it all the time. Goes on in about 10 minutes and you are off and running!!
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
For traveling purposes I believe you'd want a self-contained living unit. Both pulling a trailer and setting up at campsites is not fun; especially so the more often you have to do it.

This is the reason that there's been a rise in the Camper-van in the past few years.

there's doing it right. and there's doing it right while keeping hold of 80 percent of the money you'd spend on an earthroamer.

if you just start with a RAM 3500, aisin trans cummins diesel 4x4, and then you add a camper built to spec, you've got it all, and it's $100,000 instead of $600,000. furthermore, you still have a truck. you don't have a dedicated vehicle that's only good for the one thing.

but i did see one of these babies driving thru town, guy parked on the side of the road, and i flipped an illegal U to see this bad boy. it's the earthCRUISER, not to be confused with your earthROAMER.

if i was going to sell out, sell out of my real estate, live in the vehicle full time, no going back, native american style, no such thing as real estate ownership, country to country, in a vehicle spec designed specifically for trans-continent ocean shipment, yes, this is what i would do.

but if you're going to remain terrestrially bound to owned real estate, then i stick with my original prescription: camper on a truck that will take it in style.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am assuming you are bringing the family or is this just full on run (drive) for the hills :). My ideal is the Airstream built on the Mercedes van chassis, but you can get lower prices with the Ford chassis and non-Airstream branding. Minimum is a bathroom/shower room so that takes up some space. Just need bed for two. A/C and hopefully solar but will need gen I am sure as back up. Garage in back for the bikes and will tow 2 door Jeep behind it.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

there's doing it right. and there's doing it right while keeping hold of 80 percent of the money you'd spend on an earthroamer.

if you just start with a RAM 3500, aisin trans cummins diesel 4x4, and then you add a camper built to spec, you've got it all, and it's $100,000 instead of $600,000. furthermore, you still have a truck. you don't have a dedicated vehicle that's only good for the one thing.

but i did see one of these babies driving thru town, guy parked on the side of the road, and i flipped an illegal U to see this bad boy. it's the earthCRUISER, not to be confused with your earthROAMER.

if i was going to sell out, sell out of my real estate, live in the vehicle full time, no going back, native american style, no such thing as real estate ownership, country to country, in a vehicle spec designed specifically for trans-continent ocean shipment, yes, this is what i would do.

but if you're going to remain terrestrially bound to owned real estate, then i stick with my original prescription: camper on a truck that will take it in style.

Pretty much the setup ST member JayPeeWhy and his wife put together: https://thisbigroadtrip.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I started with an older class A motorhome, but pretty quickly switched to a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 5th wheel. We just bought a house so aren’t living in it full time anymore, but our 35 ft 5th wheel managed myself, my wife, our now 2 year old daughter, 2 dogs, and a bunch of training gear well enough. We lived out of it for nearly a year and a half while I worked as a travel nurse and raced Professionally while she took care of our daughter. There’s certainly some ups and downs, but we’re pretty glad we did it for awhile!

Here’s what our set up looked like a few months back before “settling down”. Though we’ll definitely be taking it on more adventures down the road though.

https://feighathlon.com/2020/02/21/rv-life/

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
What if you just pulled the plug and said screw it

I did it for 13 years starting in 1990... lived in a Toyota pickup with a shell, then a camper I built myself. I didn't know if I'd like it and was kinda scared at first... but I loved it. Actually I was ecstatic. Getting set to do it again.

Happy to give you pointers if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
My wife and I started with an older class A motorhome, but pretty quickly switched to a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 5th wheel. We just bought a house so aren’t living in it full time anymore, but our 35 ft 5th wheel managed myself, my wife, our now 2 year old daughter, 2 dogs, and a bunch of training gear well enough. We lived out of it for nearly a year and a half while I worked as a travel nurse and raced Professionally while she took care of our daughter. There’s certainly some ups and downs, but we’re pretty glad we did it for awhile!

Here’s what our set up looked like a few months back before “settling down”. Though we’ll definitely be taking it on more adventures down the road though.

https://feighathlon.com/2020/02/21/rv-life/

somebody has a fun dad, and will look back on her enriching childhood.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well if you go the truck route and it is just you, maybe a dog or wife, this is a nice set up;

https://www.ebay.com/...c:g:v8cAAOSwDdxekhCn

Those are so cheap compared to some campers... but they hold up ok?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're getting lots of good feedback here. It's really quite a rabbit hole and one I've been exploring myself for the last six months. The way I see it, there's two ways to go: what Dan mentioned (basically a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and a fifth wheel) or a camper van. In my opinion, a half-ton truck and a travel trailer is sort of the worst of both worlds. Not necessarily bad... just not really optimum in any sense.

If it's just you and your wife I'd seriously look at a camper van. Take a look at Humble Road van builds. Guy has a YouTube channel that explains his philosophy and how he builds vans. When it comes to versatility, something like a 170" wheelbase high-roof Ford Transit is amazing. You can fit a bed, "bike garage", kitchen, and bathroom into the van, still park it in most normal parking spaces, and not have to worry about camp-site setup.

Fifth wheels are basically a home on wheels. They can get pretty big and surprisingly nice but you can get a lot of bang for your buck. In my humble, unexperienced opinion (talked to a lot of RVers) this is really best suited for staying in place for at least a week if not two at a time as site setup and breakdown takes time and gets old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought one of these this past spring: https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/

Pop top + futon-style rear bench, sink, small fridge, induction cooktop, LP heater, 200 watt solar system with inverter, decent amount of storage and receiver for bike rack. Everything but a bathroom, which we opted against. Big plus is it's small and nimble enough to serve as second vehicle.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Aug 10, 20 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was awesome. Nice share!
Quote Reply
Re: Screw this ....... retiring early! What camper, RV, home options are there to consider? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You're getting lots of good feedback here. It's really quite a rabbit hole and one I've been exploring myself for the last six months. The way I see it, there's two ways to go: what Dan mentioned (basically a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and a fifth wheel) or a camper van. In my opinion, a half-ton truck and a travel trailer is sort of the worst of both worlds. Not necessarily bad... just not really optimum in any sense.

If it's just you and your wife I'd seriously look at a camper van. Take a look at Humble Road van builds. Guy has a YouTube channel that explains his philosophy and how he builds vans. When it comes to versatility, something like a 170" wheelbase high-roof Ford Transit is amazing. You can fit a bed, "bike garage", kitchen, and bathroom into the van, still park it in most normal parking spaces, and not have to worry about camp-site setup.

Fifth wheels are basically a home on wheels. They can get pretty big and surprisingly nice but you can get a lot of bang for your buck. In my humble, unexperienced opinion (talked to a lot of RVers) this is really best suited for staying in place for at least a week if not two at a time as site setup and breakdown takes time and gets old.

5th wheels are definitely more suited for spending a little more time in one place rather than moving around a lot. Especially when you take into account securing everything down, which gets to be a hassle if you are truly living out of it. Can certainly be had on a decent budget though. We were just under $60k for our truck and 5th wheel together and it’s a pretty sweet set up. Just for one person it’s pretty much overkill even.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went the truck and camper route but not a 5th wheel. There are obviously pros and cons to all the choices and for us it came down to flexibility. If if I want to stay in a spot for a few days, I dont want to have to pack up my who;e motorhome, put the awning in, etc. if I want to get a few groceries or beer or even go to a restaurant in town (which you will do when you are away for long enough) Additionally, we are big mountain bikers and hikers and the truck allows me some flexibility to easily do day trips and go to trailheads etc. that i wouldn't be comfortable taking my camper. Before some one says you can buy a 4X4 Sprinter conversion, I do know this. There are still forest service roads I will take in my pick up but not in a Sprinter van. Since I don't have a 5th wheel, I am bale to use the pickup box as storage for sports my gear, bikes etc.

Basically a lot depends on your lifestyle and the activities you want to enjoy.

If you are not the KOA type, I strongly recommend a solar panel (preferably installed) and even a small generator to charge up.
Last edited by: yikes: Aug 11, 20 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you just pulled the plug and said screw it, I’m buying a camper (or alternative) and just traveling around.......... Too far fetched?
Let me dream ok!!??

It's a frequent "dream" - buy the RV, sell the house, and just roam free! Sounds good. I have an uncle and an aunt who contemplated that. My uncle was an engineer - so very detail oriented and always crunching numbers. He came to the conclusion that it would be more costly to do it than he first thought. Giving up the permanent home, he concluded would be a mistake. Costs on the road for the RV, and the work and maintenance were much more than he had anticipated, and then if you have an RV over a certain size, and you can't store it properly on your own property, you'll have to pay for it's storage and it's costing you money even when you are NOT using it.

Probably better to keep the house - and just do road trips with a car, and stay in hotels, or longer term rentals. That's what my wife and I are considering when we get there. But for work, I spend a lot of time in hotels so for me, that's normal and fine. I actually enjoy staying in a reasonably nice hotel, or we have already test-driven a one month rental, in the winter of 2019! That's more our speed!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next