Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Google Pixel Slate for Zwift?
Quote | Reply
Can anybody here confirm they can use a Google Pixel Slate for Zwift?

Yes I searched the Zwift page with compatibility, but this Pixel Slate isn't mentioned. It's newer than a Pixel C (2015), which is listed as supported and it should have plenty of memory and processing power (Intel M3, i5, etc). It is however a chromebook. I'm an android user but not sure of the nuances of having the app store installed in the chromebook or whatever else it may require.

Just curious if anybody has tried it. I'm planning on buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 or the new Galaxy Tab S7 as my new media consumption device, with minor productivity here and there. I find myself using my laptop less and less and doing more and more on my phone. As I'm typing this, I also just realized that the Pixel Slate has been discontinued, but if I can keep it running Zwift for at least 2-3 years it should be worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Pixel Slate for Zwift? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember us ever testing it at the office. I think we planned to get one, but then because they discontinued it pretty quickly we never did.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Google Pixel Slate for Zwift? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think after searching the Zwift forums I'm able to answer my own question.
Seems the issue with capable (specs-wise) Chromebook tablet/laptops isn't on the hardware side, but the relationship between Chrome OS and Android.

Once Zwift engineers are able to figure that out, Chromebooks should work if they have the right specs.

It does seem possible to do some workaround with some sideloading and using dev mode, but that varies by device.

Hopefully this helps anybody that comes across it with a similar question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Surface Tablet/Computer instead of a Samsung Galaxy Tablet or Android? I like having Android tablets but for the price for a top of the line one with good hardware specs it's not much of a price difference to instead get a Surface Tablet that can run full Windows 10 instead. My brother just picked one up and it seems like a great alternative to a laptop and separate tablet since it is can basically be used as both (with a detachable keyboard). Tempted to get one next actually when the wife's tablet finally calls it quits as a gift for Christmas (it's an older lower spec Galaxy Tab). She's been bugging me for a a nicer tablet or something like a Surface.

Our laptop we share is a gaming laptop but inconvenient to use all the time due to it's size. It runs great otherwise though.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Pixel Slate for Zwift? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Have you considered a Surface Tablet/Computer instead of a Samsung Galaxy Tablet or Android? I like having Android tablets but for the price for a top of the line one with good hardware specs it's not much of a price difference to instead get a Surface Tablet that can run full Windows 10 instead. My brother just picked one up and it seems like a great alternative to a laptop and separate tablet since it is can basically be used as both (with a detachable keyboard). Tempted to get one next actually when the wife's tablet finally calls it quits as a gift for Christmas (it's an older lower spec Galaxy Tab). She's been bugging me for a a nicer tablet or something like a Surface.

Our laptop we share is a gaming laptop but inconvenient to use all the time due to it's size. It runs great otherwise though.

That's kind of what we already have. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Tablet (4 years old, Windows 10), Wife has Surface Pro 7. We then have a Lenovo Yoga Book Android tablet, which is exactly what I need, except it doesn't do Zwift. I currently Zwift with my Lenovo X1, but it takes several minutes to open, sometimes 2, sometimes 5 and it's frustrating. The other day it did an update, but it actually didn't update, so it was just on the update screen for like 30 minutes. I was on the treadmill so I started running and figured, I'd connect zwift when it finishes the update, but that never came. Oh, the horror of working out without being entertained. Yes, first world problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Pixel Slate for Zwift? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mid-tier surface and up is pretty great for Zwift. Don't get the lowest tier one (with the UHD crappy graphics). Any of the ones with Iris graphics are great.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Surface Pro as well and it does a reasonable job of running Zwift.
However, the AppleTV loads significantly faster, renders significantly better and is only hampered by it's horrible controller.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply