Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding bikes for 36 years and have never had to adjust one of my rear derailleur hangers.
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I have been riding bikes for 36 years and have never had to adjust one of my rear derailleur hangers.

Yeah, and it's also perfectly normal for everyone who bikes to have perfect shifting, no adjustments needed for 36 years. Right.....
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy's desperately in need for attention.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

It seems to really depend on the bike, for whatever reason. Some of my bikes have been in the never-adjust category. Some I seem to have to adjust all the time.

Some hangers seem really, really malleable. (which is good and bad at the same time)

Also depends on use. A TT bike is going to be babied. A gravel bike that you're putting through hell is going to have some torque put on the RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the tightwads amongst us, a spare/old rear wheel makes an excellent derailleur hanger tool. Rear axles use the same thread as a hanger (M10x1.0)

Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the video. I am thinking a pair of vice grips would tweak the hanger,if done gently. Maybe a bit of rubber over the hanger to stop the vice grips ripping the paint off the component....

I do understand a lot of adjustment tools are made and used so that the component (in this case the derailleur hanger), is adjusted without the chance to break the component. Adjustment tools will let you get the adjustment exactly right also I guess.

Surely this would be a basic job that any bike shop would correct?? It does seem like it would be a rare problem to have.

Looks like the derailleur hanger is replaceable so if badly damaged you would just buy a new one?

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Aug 7, 20 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine bent once when I shipped the bike to a race. I used a crescent wrench to bend it back into place. Seemed to shift fine afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not rare. I've found it not hard to somehow have the hangar go out of alignment for whatever reason on my bikes, which I think are pretty standard bikes (Defy aluminum and Cervelo P2c).

I remember when i first bought the tool I thought, well, that's $90 for a tool Ive used once on each bike and never will use again, but I've since used it every year on my bikes and I haven't even crashed them.

If you manage to get by with perfect shifting for years on end, then sure, this tool isn't for you. If not, this is the thing you will need to get that shifting back, even if you have Dura Ace.

The adjustments are surprisingly small as well. On other bike forums, there's always a really vocal group of folks who say they can just eyeball it and get it right, but there's no way you will achieve good results doing that - as said, the adjustments are often in the <5mm range and require comparisons from top to bottom of the rim, so there's literally no way you can do that by sight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Carbon parts aren't that delicate.

I am a bicycle manufacturer. The frames and derailleur hangers are perfect when I ship them out or deliver them in person. If a customer crashes, I would expect that they would fix a derailleur hanger themself or bring it to a shop.

I have only seen one bike new out of the box with an aligned hanger and everybody gathered around to gawk at this wonder when it was found.
I have only ever seen 2 bikes come through the workshop with an aligned hanger, one an old Klein and the other a Titanium bike, both with no replaceable hanger.

You are either totally unaware of how bad your new bikes are or have quality control that is so far ahead of the rest of the bike industry it isn't funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

BenT HanGeRs aRe a HoAX!

Lemme guess... You only ride single speeds? Otherwise, you are truly the chosen one.
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
For the tightwads amongst us, a spare/old rear wheel makes an excellent derailleur hanger tool. Rear axles use the same thread as a hanger (M10x1.0)

That's pretty nifty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...the OP seems strangely very motivated to persuade everybody to buy this tool from Park - must have shares in Park or something to spend so much time and so many posts promoting it with such evangelical zeal??????
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but I did buy stock in tesla and apple before the prices went up for real!!
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Carbon parts aren't that delicate.

I am a bicycle manufacturer. The frames and derailleur hangers are perfect when I ship them out or deliver them in person. If a customer crashes, I would expect that they would fix a derailleur hanger themself or bring it to a shop.

I have only seen one bike new out of the box with an aligned hanger and everybody gathered around to gawk at this wonder when it was found.
I have only ever seen 2 bikes come through the workshop with an aligned hanger, one an old Klein and the other a Titanium bike, both with no replaceable hanger.

You are either totally unaware of how bad your new bikes are or have quality control that is so far ahead of the rest of the bike industry it isn't funny.

THIS THIS THIS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since i go through 2 to 3 hangers a cross season (at $22 each), time for me to get this tool and maybe i can salvage some since the bend is typically minor. I really love that Abbey Tool version tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the park hanger tool as well.
I've had a few times where my bike as been knocked over and fell on the drive side, and could see the rd took some impact, and I had to make minor adjustments with the hanger tool. And its nice to have for trouble shooting shifting probs in general, rule stuff out.

Slight thread drift, but other stuff I've really liked having, as someone who works on their own bikes:

- Park magnetic bowl - holds itself onto my work stand, and holds all the tiny screws we need to deal with on these 'super bikes'...

- Park PRS-22 work stand - mine is over 10 years old I think and may not play well with disc brake bikes, but guessing the new ones do. Love the way the bike sits on it, rather than a clamp. Prob some personal preference here, as others may prefer one that gently clamps the bike and allows you to turn the bike upside down to work on those awesome hidden rear brakes...

- Proper set of Park P-Handle hex wrenches (or similar from any other brand).

- Pedal wrench for pedals like Speedplay that still use a flat sided wrench to remove/install.

- KMC pliers for installation/removal of quick links, for those that like to remove their chain to clean and re-lube/wax.

- Small container of anti-seize (I have the bronze finish line stuff). I put on all threaded parts for 15+ years now, never had a single threaded part get stuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to add the little world of caution... I broke my derailleur hanger this weekend.

I was super excited to use my derailleur hanger adjustment tool this weekend. My RD was off and touching the spokes a little on the big cog. It was resistant, so I pulled a little harder. I freakin broke my cast aluminum derailleur hanger.

So, now I am flummoxed-- can we actually bend an aluminum hanger at all? Fortunately, I had a spare, and it is straight.
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I need to add the little world of caution... I broke my derailleur hanger this weekend.

I was super excited to use my derailleur hanger adjustment tool this weekend. My RD was off and touching the spokes a little on the big cog. It was resistant, so I pulled a little harder. I freakin broke my cast aluminum derailleur hanger.

So, now I am flummoxed-- can we actually bend an aluminum hanger at all? Fortunately, I had a spare, and it is straight.

Yes, you can, but every time it gets bent it becomes a little bit damaged. If you’ve done it a few times or is bent too far it can break.

Aluminum doesn’t really like being bent. Which reminds me, I should really go and pick up some spare hangers for my mountain bike before they aren’t available anymore. That’s one of the things that annoy me, there’s no standard replaceable derailleur hanger.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 10, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Jason said, and also make sure to use a good quality one, wheelsmfg.
And I'm sure you know, but just in case, always have a rear wheel clamped in there so you don't crack your frame!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Over the years, I've come across a few very brittle ones (always seem to be black, never silver) that just snap as soon as you apply a little pressure on them. Most of the time, you can safely bend them up to a few times, but they get weaker each time.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Yes, you can, but every time it gets bent it becomes a little bit damaged. If you’ve done it a few times or is bent too far it can break.

Aluminum doesn’t really like being bent. Which reminds me, I should really go and pick up some spare hangers for my mountain bike before they aren’t available anymore. That’s one of the things that annoy me, there’s no standard replaceable derailleur hanger.

I don't like to attempt to straighten an obviously bent hanger without having a spare on hand. Seems they break about half the time they are obviously bent. I had a 3 month old cyclocross frame break at the dropout when a hanger didn't break in a race, so I totally get why some are so weak. The hangers they updated for that bike are so weak that I carry one on me now.

Hopefully the SRAM universal hanger gains some traction. It might even mean a bike shop would stock a derailleur hanger (which I don't blame them for not doing).
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Over the years, I've come across a few very brittle ones (always seem to be black, never silver) that just snap as soon as you apply a little pressure on them.
dangle wrote:
I don't like to attempt to straighten an obviously bent hanger without having a spare on hand.
Mine was black, so who knows, maybe the anodizing affected its brittleness. And yeah, if I did not have an old spare on hand, I would have been major SOL.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 10, 20 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride over 10,000 miles a year For the past 7 years and have never needed one of those either.
Quote Reply
Re: I love my derailleur hangar adjustment tool [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that you have ridden 70,000 miles and have not needed an adjustment to your derailleur hanger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Are you saying that you have ridden 70,000 miles and have not needed an adjustment to your derailleur hanger?

haha you're the best jim

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply

Prev Next