Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kipchoge vs Bekele sub 2:00 ??? - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park
Quote | Reply
This is exciting about the London Marathon (well at least for those of us who are fans, vs those who planned to run):

Mr 2:01.39 vs Mr 2:01.41....last two Berlin marathon winners go head to head in London on Oct 3rd. Elites only, loop course around St. James Park near buckingham palace, no spectators.

Does anyone know if there will be a live stream. This could be the best live endurance sports event this fall! Its going to be 51 weeks after Kipchoge's 1:59 in Vienna
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 11, 20 20:54
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t imagine there won’t be a live stream. I hate that it’s a really short loop course.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great! I will be looking forward to watching the livestream if they have one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what we've been waiting for.

At the start of year, I envisaged the showdown to happen after the Olympics. Either Berlin, Chicago or Fukuoka.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for this, are they going to have pacers?
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

I have no idea if they have rabbits (not illegal rotating pacers), but you gotta assume they are paying enough guys to take them through 21.1 at 59:55 and 31.55 at 1:29:52. Maybe they pay Sir Mo Farah to be the 21.1 km guy for the ~59.50 pace !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ain't a pacer in the world can take them through 3/4 at sub 2 pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they can pay enough money the incentivize some guys to give that a try. How close can they get for how long?
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

The most important question on ST is not if they have pacers....its going to be who has what springboard cheater shoes on or not!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that'll be cool - both those guys are really good at sports.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I would Bet both of themselves could, taking turns like cycling and a sprint finish to get sub 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw Kipchoge running in Vienna. Really looking forward to that race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

The most important question on ST is not if they have pacers....its going to be who has what springboard cheater shoes on or not!!!

Don’t see the point with this - aside from Formula One (and partly cycling because it’s old fashioned), sports are rarely banning improvements in Technology.
It’s like banning Carbon as a produkt between all sports, not only the weight, But shapes on a bike or latex tubes or structured training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is exciting about the London Marathon (well at least for those of us who are fans, vs those who planned to run):

Mr 2:01.39 vs Mr 2:01.41....last two Berlin marathon winners go head to head in London on Oct 3rd. Elites only, loop course around St. James Park near buckingham palace, no spectators.

Does anyone know if there will be a live stream. This could be the best live endurance sports event this fall! Its going to be 51 weeks after Kipchoge's 1:59 in Vienna

Super exiting for sure! I got a feeling The difference between the two will be decided by who has had their training in lockdown and who hasnt. History seems to play in the favour of elioud. Bekele had pretty many failed attempts before hitting 2:01:41.

As a norwegian Im just as exited to see Sondre N Moen. He really wants to best Mo Farahs European 2:05 low:) Sondre just beat The European 1hr record - running 21 134m on a track! So hes in decent shape:)
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
kny wrote:

I would Bet both of themselves could, taking turns like cycling and a sprint finish to get sub 2

OK, how about paying Mo Farah to run 21.1 km in 59.50. Then pay Kipchoge and Bekele a bonus to work together and TTT through 31.55 a touch sub 1:30. Then given them another bonus if they are tied with 5 km to go at 1:45.45. Then its a drag race free for all to see who can run a 14:14 to close it off.

All bonuses are paid for interim splits if either of them breaks 2 hrs.

This basically gets into a prisoner's dilemma if you are feeling strong enough to hit the splits but don't think you can close off the final 5 km fast enough. Do you help pace the other guy to a sub 2, or do you stay screw it, I'm gonna race a tactical race and draft the other guy for the race win and neither of us breaks sub 2. At that point, the value of the bonuses, may have an impact, but I don't think one guy helps the other guy break sub 2, unless he himself feels he can close the sub 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or just give them a Tesla pace car and green line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
kny wrote:

OK, how about paying Mo Farah to run 21.1 km in 59.50. Then pay Kipchoge and Bekele a bonus to work together and TTT through 31.55 a touch sub 1:30. Then given them another bonus if they are tied with 5 km to go at 1:45.45. Then its a drag race free for all to see who can run a 14:14 to close it off.

This basically gets into a prisoner's dilemma if you are feeling strong enough to hit the splits but don't think you can close off the final 5 km fast enough. Do you help pace the other guy to a sub 2, or do you stay screw it, I'm gonna race a tactical race and draft the other guy for the race win and neither of us breaks sub 2. At that point, the value of the bonuses, may have an impact, but I don't think one guy helps the other guy break sub 2, unless he himself feels he can close the sub 2.

I Think either of them could pace the other one to go sub 2, But I’d doubt either of the would be willing to do it for the other, money or not. The first to break 2 would Be the legend, the other “the one who might have done it”. Would take serious money and then I would still doubt the “pacer” would really have to motivation
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
kny wrote:

I Think either of them could pace the other one to go sub 2, But I’d doubt either of the would be willing to do it for the other, money or not. The first to break 2 would Be the legend, the other “the one who might have done it”. Would take serious money and then I would still doubt the “pacer” would really have to motivation

Thus the prisoner's dilemma....I think we need the PTO guy to stop putting money behind pro triathlon and fund this "real event"....or the "Ineos guy".

It would be interesting. The only way a guy does it for the other guy is he thinks he will "the legend" vs the equivalent of Chataway or Brasher for Bannister (although these two had zero ambitions from what I gather to do it themselves as they were not in the right caliber).

So I think if they both cruise through 21.1 at 59.50 and both feel awesome, both keep working together. If one guy tucks in and refuses to pull, then he's given up hope of being the legend and is just saving himself for the win. Then the entire thing falls apart. Its almost like you need a third and fourth player in this all of whom think they can be "that guy" who takes it sub 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
brasch wrote:
kny wrote:

Thus the prisoner's dilemma....I think we need the PTO guy to stop putting money behind pro triathlon and fund this "real event"....or the "Ineos guy".

It would be interesting. The only way a guy does it for the other guy is he thinks he will "the legend" vs the equivalent of Chataway or Brasher for Bannister (although these two had zero ambitions from what I gather to do it themselves as they were not in the right caliber).

So I think if they both cruise through 21.1 at 59.50 and both feel awesome, both keep working together. If one guy tucks in and refuses to pull, then he's given up hope of being the legend and is just saving himself for the win. Then the entire thing falls apart. Its almost like you need a third and fourth player in this all of whom think they can be "that guy" who takes it sub 2.

They could probaly find a few guys to run 59 on 1/2 Marathon, But the final 21, the “looking person”,would have to be payed a serious bonus to do it. And even so, the 1/2 59min guys Will probabaly need some money as Well.. and actually be in good shape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would boil down to how good shape the two guys are in and it they are willing to work with each other a lot past the halfway and both believe he can outkick the other guy too while going sub 2....if not you just tuck in surrender sub 2 and just focus on beating the other guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This would boil down to how good shape the two guys are in and it they are willing to work with each other a lot past the halfway and both believe he can outkick the other guy too while going sub 2....if not you just tuck in surrender sub 2 and just focus on beating the other guy.

Agree on the pacing to 2 hrs discussion, but I think its only theoretical. Im usually an optimist, but this time around my best guess is neither breaks 2:02.

Elioud wins, a couple of unknown kenyans go 2-4th, Moen/farah battle it out for like 5-6th or so (think they run 2:05/2:06). Let’s see how That prediction holds ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Agree on the pacing to 2 hrs discussion, but I think its only theoretical. Im usually an optimist, but this time around my best guess is neither breaks 2:02.

Elioud wins, a couple of unknown kenyans go 2-4th, Moen/farah battle it out for like 5-6th or so (think they run 2:05/2:06). Let’s see how That prediction holds ;)

So where's Bekele? I'd agree Elioud wins but if anyone can stretch him it's Bekele which is why this is the race everyone wants to see.

I think we could see a race that never really threatens a world record and still be one of the great marathon races if those two are stride for stride in the closing stages.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Can’t imagine there won’t be a live stream. I hate that it’s a really short loop course.

It's probably all they could guarantee to be secure, especially given the hard no spectators rule
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

It's probably all they could guarantee to be secure, especially given the hard no spectators rule

I imagine they'll run around the lake which would be a little over a mile. Anything other than the lake perimeter is going to be longer obviously. It's a lovely park, hopefully they've been able to maintain it. When I lived in London I loved running in those parks. I think it could be a good course.

There is a race in the UK that is mile laps up and down a pier. I've always thought that was an interesting setup knowing exactly where you are on a dead flat course and never being far from your drink. For me less than a mile and it starts getting too short but a mile is fine, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Kipchoge vs Bekele - Elites only London Marathon @ St. James Park [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

So where's Bekele? I'd agree Elioud wins but if anyone can stretch him it's Bekele which is why this is the race everyone wants to see.

I think we could see a race that never really threatens a world record and still be one of the great marathon races if those two are stride for stride in the closing stages.

Oh - sry! That bit fell out of my response - but i think Bekele DNF's :) Bekele will push pace from 21 - 30km and then drop out :) Bold prediction, but if Bekele is not in 120 % shape, I think this is a real possibility. Bekele will not dial back and finish 1-2 min behind Kipchoge, he will push until he breaks and pull out, maybe :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next