Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Calorie Liquid Nutrition Mixes for Long Distance Cycling Event
Quote | Reply
Looking for recommendations for high calorie / easily digestible liquid nutrition options for cycling events in the 11-14 hour range. Ideal if it also includes electrolytes as it may be hot. In ironman events in the past I have just put about 800 calories of carbo pro into a bottle with some nuun or gatorade mixed in with the water but I haven't done this in a few years and am having trouble finding carbo pro here in Europe. Not too picky on taste, though super sweet is not the best. Really just want something that won't upset the stomach and give me alot of calories without being too sludgy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: High Calorie Liquid Nutrition Mixes for Long Distance Cycling Event [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of interest, when you drink from a bottle with 800 cals in it, do you have to balance it with some drinks of plain water? I thought an 800 cal mix would be too concentrated for it to be properly digested (osmality or whatever its called....).....
Quote Reply
Re: High Calorie Liquid Nutrition Mixes for Long Distance Cycling Event [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, no. I have even made them up to 1000 calories per bottle which involves alot of the bottle being filled up with carbo pro powder and not a ton of room for the fluid but once you shake it up it is surprisingly not too thick and goes down pretty easy. Never had stomach issues with this plan though I have at other times where I did too much solid food for my calories. Now just need to find a mix that's available here in Europe to try to do something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: High Calorie Liquid Nutrition Mixes for Long Distance Cycling Event [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, yes. I used to use 4 bottles of liquid nutrition (240 calories/bottle) during an IM bike (2 bottles at start, 2 more at special needs). I recently changed my strategy to 2 bottles concentrated (480 calories/bottle). I had to take more water from aid stations to make up for the lost hydration.

My general rule of thumb is that I need to consume 12oz of fluid per 100 calories.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: High Calorie Liquid Nutrition Mixes for Long Distance Cycling Event [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Might be worth taking a look at Tailwind? I haven't personally used it in high concentrations, but I know others have and they talk about using it that way on the web page (although they do also recommend plain water is taken with it). I've used it personally in a liquid-only strategy for full distance (with a support car, so regular hand-ups) and it worked well for me, and I've had stomach issues in the past.

Could be worth a punt. It is available in the UK direct (and through Amazon), not sure about other parts of Europe.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F2C GlycoDurance would work, and if you wanted some protein, the F2C 5:1.. Would suggest getting the unflavored GlycoDurance to combine with some of the flavoured if you're going to make 1000 calorie bottles, to reduce sweetness.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been liking the Skratch SuperFuel mix.
https://www.skratchlabs.com/...riant=32202964697159

Tastes good, pretty simple, has been easy on my stomach. Not sure how it goes if you double the servings per hour.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply