Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too was signed up for Victoria.

We don't know that it was Ironman's fault it was cancelled or the city said they were done. Tough spot for them and us.

I moved to Maple Valley which actually saved me a lot of money. No ferries and the race actual costs more but they didn't add more to my cost.

And you should get that bike upgrade you shouldn't need a race to want to feel good and go fast on a bike. You will have more fun racing hard on a tri bike in training then pacing a tri bike in a race.

Local races are good I do a lot of them. Ironman races are always better because they make you train smarter and prep better as you know more is at stake and invested!!!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
For any IM entrant the entry fee is the cheap part.

The list of people who refund squat in all this is way longer than one company, why haven't you included them in the equation.
I don't particularly like WTC but seriously how is any of this their fault.

2020 is a bust, reset, reboot.

I find it making people still think they will do an ironman in 2020.

They are deluded.

Maybe, but it would be nice to get a response from Augusta 70.3 in a reasonable amount of time before the race. Like, I wish they would cancel now if they are going to cancel.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:
casper3043 wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I don't race Ironman anymore. There are many triathlons out there that actually respect their registrants...

agree - i have lost respect for Ironman after this debacle. every other organization i've signed up with has refunded me no matter how small the event.

That's funny, cause my local marathon only gave me the option to defer or eat the fee to give to charity and run it virtually, I took the later. One local tri only gave the option to defer to next year and my other local tri provided 75 % of the fee as credit to another race they will hold next year. By my calculation Ironman is on par or better than all of those options, so in reality it's not like they are completely out of line in this whole situation.

I had 4 open run races on the schedule this year outside of my IM schedule. 1 I raced. 2 mailed me my medals and said do it virtual with no other option. 1 offered either defer to 2021 or virtual.

I have no problem with the way IM is handling this
Last edited by: Calvin386: Aug 8, 20 3:50
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
PJC wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
For any IM entrant the entry fee is the cheap part.

The list of people who refund squat in all this is way longer than one company, why haven't you included them in the equation.
I don't particularly like WTC but seriously how is any of this their fault.

2020 is a bust, reset, reboot.

I find it making people still think they will do an ironman in 2020.

They are deluded.

Maybe, but it would be nice to get a response from Augusta 70.3 in a reasonable amount of time before the race. Like, I wish they would cancel now if they are going to cancel.

I’m down to fly to Melbourne Australia from Christchurch in November for a 70.3.

No news on that being cancelled and Melbourne is currently locked down with an 8pm to 5am curfew.

Its not Happening and they should have come out about it.

2020 and 2021 racing not happening here. And we don’t have any cases in our whole country

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
People that are very upset should explain how they would handle it and stay in business if they were the Ironman brand.

I'm not "very upset" but at the very least IM could be more transparent about the likelihood of an event going ahead and move to cancel events with a lot more notice.

There are two races scheduled here for September. Mass gathering events here are required to have a COVID Safe Plan approved by the local public health unit. I have seen a number of people ask event organisers about the status of the plan approvals on social media and all questions have been answered with silence. Meanwhile they are actively promoting event registrations.

Having a race registration transferred to the following year is fine with me but many participants will also have travel and accommodation costs which may not be as easily refunded for a last minute cancellation.
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I don't race Ironman anymore. There are many triathlons out there that actually respect their registrants...

Like Embrunman for example? It got cancelled 2 weeks before the event by the authorities (if the organizer was smart he would have done it himself way earlier) but the organizer tried to revoke that decision by going to court (which he lost of course...) stretching the insecurity for athletes even more.
They offer a 50% refund for maximum 300 athletes that want to opt out.
They offer a transfer to 2021 but they will raise the registration fee for that event and athletes will have to pay the difference.

I think Gerardmer is a case where they offer the perfect solution: reimbursement or transfer but that is because it is one event and a very well organized one. Things change if you are operating multiple events with multiple organizers.

WTC is doing a good job during hard times and I don't feel disrespected. Also, I don't see a lot of alternatives that provide the same experience.

Sam

Embrunman entry fee is 360 E. That is half of Ironman entry fee. Also a one event organization? So they probably are only doing what they can afford to do. I think Embrunman is one of the great bargains in triathlon.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
sgy wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Like Embrunman for example? It got cancelled 2 weeks before the event by the authorities (if the organizer was smart he would have done it himself way earlier) but the organizer tried to revoke that decision by going to court (which he lost of course...) stretching the insecurity for athletes even more.
They offer a 50% refund for maximum 300 athletes that want to opt out.
They offer a transfer to 2021 but they will raise the registration fee for that event and athletes will have to pay the difference.

I think Gerardmer is a case where they offer the perfect solution: reimbursement or transfer but that is because it is one event and a very well organized one. Things change if you are operating multiple events with multiple organizers.

WTC is doing a good job during hard times and I don't feel disrespected. Also, I don't see a lot of alternatives that provide the same experience.

Sam

Embrunman entry fee is 360 E. That is half of Ironman entry fee. Also a one event organization? So they probably are only doing what they can afford to do. I think Embrunman is one of the great bargains in triathlon.

European IM races are usually 450 EUR to enter. Even with the 8% Active fee this is about 490 EUR. You should learn how to multiply by 2... Let's see what the Embrunman fee for 2021 will be by the way. In any case, Embrunman was the fuck up of the year in 2020. I agree it could be a beautiful event but GĂ©rald Iacono has shot himself and his organization in both feet...
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:

European IM races are usually 450 EUR to enter. Even with the 8% Active fee this is about 490 EUR. You should learn how to multiply by 2... Let's see what the Embrunman fee for 2021 will be by the way. In any case, Embrunman was the fuck up of the year in 2020. I agree it could be a beautiful event but GĂ©rald Iacono has shot himself and his organization in both feet...
Sam

I ran a poll. 100% of people surveyed said you are a loser with no friends.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: DEAR IRONMAN [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
sgy wrote:

Sam

I ran a poll. 100% of people surveyed said you are a loser with no friends.

Thanks for voting!
Sam
Quote Reply

Prev Next