Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is 2021 season compromised?
Quote | Reply
Last year in this period I was already registered for an event for 2020 and I had in mind an entire calendar of competitions. However the events started to get canceled one by one thus I didn't attend any event so far this year. In my country there still a few events going on. Most of them are at the first edition so I assume that they are trying to take advantage of the fact that well established events got canceled.
Leaving 2020 behind, since is 90% or more compromised I find it really hard to make any plans for 2021. Many events does not have a date yet for 2021 or the registrations are not open as normal. For example I checked an marathon which takes place in April and at this time the registration should have been opened. This is not the case since on their wensites it states that registrations are posponed until autumn.
Will 2021 be another year for personal challenges rather than going to competitions?
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m planning 2021 with caution at this point. My first big event for 2021 is a run hike at the Grand Canyon so unless I’m forced to quarantine there or they close the park, this event is on.

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As type A as most trigeeks are, spending endless energy on all of the what ifs of this situation doesnt serve anyone.

Fun to banter about I guess but time is better served on things we can control like elevating fitness getting ready for a return of racing.

I’m not trying to be snarky in any way and am probably venting a bit from the amount of questions that don’t currently have answers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that with most 2020 events getting deferred to 2021, there isn’t the great push by organizers to get new registrants.

In my case every single race (8 in total) that I signed up for has been deferred. I will have the exact same race schedule as I planned on for this year, I just prepaid it two years in advance. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nav|gator wrote:
Will 2021 be another year for personal challenges rather than going to competitions?

Yes.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO I believe first half of 2021 is going to like 2020, and if I am proven wrong and the world makes a miraculous recovery, and say "life returns to normal", I would still err on a side of caution and not register for any events. I dislike pointing to a silver lining in any disaster because it can take away focus on the real problem, that said, Covid has shown me to focus on what's is really important (people, my career, family, national and international current issues, etc.) and put aside my own personal interests and hobbies (temporarily! ...though extended indefinitely)
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [runbrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep getting emails for Tulsa registration.

IMO Ironman is crazy at this point to not offer covid refund guaruntees. I will NOT be signing up for anything until racing in the US returns then I think my money will be safe for signing up for an event. There are way too many if's to pony up hundreds of $$$ for a race that could get cancelled. Ironman still hasn't offered an option for cancelled IM MD

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Aug 9, 20 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
nav|gator wrote:

Yes.

No
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I keep getting emails for Tulsa registration.

IMO Ironman is crazy at this point to not offer covid refund guaruntees. I will NOT be signing up for anything until racing in the US returns then I think my money will be safe for signing up for an event. There are way too many if's to pony up hundreds of $$$ for a race that could get cancelled. Ironman still hasn't offered an option for cancelled IM MD

It does seem like an odd choice. I don't care if my $30 crit gets cancelled, but if I shell out hundreds for registration, I want some guarantee of at least a partial refund.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
nav|gator wrote:

Yes.

x2. If there’s one thing we have learned, it is this will drag on far longer than we want/hope/expect.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
nav|gator wrote:

Yes.

x2. If there’s one thing we have learned, it is this will drag on far longer than we want/hope/expect.

^^^^This.

Kona in Feb is far from assured.

It needs to be safe for us to all go back to work/school without masks before large scale recreational events make any sense.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2021 season compromised? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
nav|gator wrote:

Yes.

^^^^This.

Kona in Feb is far from assured.

It needs to be safe for us to all go back to work/school without masks before large scale recreational events make any sense.

February Kona was already canceled.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All events after November 3rd are a go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most honest answer to your question is "Who knows?" It's hard to predict what's going to happen that far in advance.

But it does seem like we know enough now to make some observations relevant to triathlons and other events.
  • Outdoor events with a low density of participants seem to be reasonably safe. That suggests that it might be possible to have small-ish triathlons with proper precautions, e.g. time trial starts, widely spread out transition areas, no big awards ceremonies, etc.
  • Large events (major marathons, Peachtree Road Race, Ironmans? etc.) are probably a no go for the foreseeable future.

I wish I could be confident that effective therapeutics and/or vaccinations will be widely available soon, but that seems like too much of a stretch. (I'm not counting Remdesivir or Dexamethasone as those have only been show effective, so far, for very serious patients; for life to return to pre-pandemic normal, we need therapeutics that prevent serious complications, not simply treat them.) Perhaps monoclonal antibody treatments will be available by the end of the year, but they're just now starting phase 3 trials and even if the trials are promising, their availability is unknown. Will health insurance even pay for them as prophylactics? As for vaccines, I can't imagine getting through successful phase 3 trials and sorting out the logistics of a global vaccination campaign by the second half of 2021, at best. It would be wonderful to be wrong about this, but nothing I've seen so far gives me a lot of hope.
Quote Reply