Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front
Quote | Reply
While doing some amateur data sleuthing, it occurred to me that performance of the H3 is comparable to that of 60 mm deep wheels at low yaw, and that the H3 is actually somewhat worse at higher yaw.

So naturally, under what sort of conditions does the H3 excel?

Personally, I race at ~28 mph on flat grounds on my TT bike (20-30 min TTs). Even though this is generally considered lower yaw territory, I'm wondering if I would be better off on a 60 mm. Or am I neglecting certain things in my consideration? Somehow recall that a trispoke is advantageous as it has lower power required to spin; how much lower, I don't recall.
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 30, 20 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind most of the drag values you'll see don't take into account rotational drag so you'd have to discount the whole H3+ curve by ~2-3 watts. I run my H3+ in calm conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a saying:

"A tri spoke may not always be the best choice, but it will never be a bad choice"

or something like that.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
There's a saying:

"A tri spoke may not always be the best choice, but it will never be a bad choice"

Does that require the correct (21?) tire width?
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
There's a saying:

Arent the most tri spokes just 60mm front wheels with less, but bigger spokes?
Without Any data to back it up, I would Think that an 80/90mm would be at least on par for real life usage. But then again, if you arent competing to win tri-spoke/disc combo looks faster
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly my H3 has never done well on my roll down tests compared to my 2008 Jet 60 and 2010 Jet 90. My 60 and 90 were always close but my H3 was consistently slower.

That was on 650C wheels though.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
There's a saying:

Does that require the correct (21?) tire width?

I would guess that to choose the best wheel, one would have to assume each wheel is fitted with the best tire. The original H3 tri spoke wheel were maximizes aerodynamically with a 19mm tire. Now, the best tires still in production are 20mm (Conti SuperSonics). But a few years ago, IIRC, the H3 molds were updated & now wider tires are best on the newer model H3s.

Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Honestly my H3 has never done well on my roll down tests compared to my 2008 Jet 60 and 2010 Jet 90. My 60 and 90 were always close but my H3 was consistently slower.

From what I Think I recall from an aero test, that I dont remember where I found, I Think the conclusion what that at 0 degrees yaw, a spoke would be faster.
With a disc rear and a front tri spoke, where would My garmin speed sensor go? Thats the main reason I dont have a tro spoke. Never going to qualify for Kona or win something, But at the very least, I try to look fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the findings you want.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...playtime-part-1.html

And the followup

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2016/
Last edited by: davetallo: Jul 30, 20 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using a Garmin GPS computer? If so, why would you need the speed sensor?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

And the followup

That was the one that prompted my post, which is to say results showing a TriSpoke slower than a 90 mm, even after accounting for aero rotation. Al though i could be misinterpreting the graph
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the time I was using a PT Jet 90 rear with a cover and a LYC so I didn't need a Garmin sensor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider H3+ which performs closer to a hed 6+
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a pretty solid VE test on my HED 3c. It took a Vittoria Pista on it to beat my HED 6+ with GP5000 and latex. Roads here not good enough to use an original 19mm tire HED with any confidence.

I now have an HED 9+.

Fwiw, hour record holder currently runs 90’s on road....Enves. Lookup “Campanaerts ftp test” on youtube. Cool video.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what everyone seems to be saying, is to ride me H3+ for show, but ride my Jet 9+ for dough :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
davetallo wrote:

And the followup

That was the one that prompted my post, which is to say results showing a TriSpoke slower than a 90 mm, even after accounting for aero rotation. Al though i could be misinterpreting the graph

As I understood them, the charts do not consider watts to spin. When this is also factored in, I understand this could (arguably) give the h3 an advantage over others in low yaw situations.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
So what everyone seems to be saying, is to ride me H3+ for show, but ride my Jet 9+ for dough :p

Depends on the wind on that particular day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what about some of the more recent composite spoke designs? VisionTech, the weird two-spoke one or the latest Xentis?

Hed’s design comes from the early 90s, and wonderful though it may be (is it true that it was designed on a Cray?), better than other trispokes of the time such as the Nimble crosswind, that’s still a long time ago.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Thanks that is very helpful.
Would be interesting though anyway whether Tom A has done a test with the Chung method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To determine which wheel is the fastest, you must test it in the particular bike you are using it in. The fork and frame interactions will dictate which wheel is the fastest for which bike.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
But what about some of the more recent composite spoke designs? VisionTech, the weird two-spoke one or the latest Xentis?

Hed’s design comes from the early 90s, and wonderful though it may be (is it true that it was designed on a Cray?), better than other trispokes of the time such as the Nimble crosswind, that’s still a long time ago.

My reading of the original post is that he/she has an H3, and is wondering if a different (60mm or 90mm) wheel would be better. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by: japarker24: Jul 31, 20 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
To determine which wheel is the fastest, you must test it in the particular bike you are using it in. The fork and frame interactions will dictate which wheel is the fastest for which bike.

That'd be ideal, but I live too far from wind tunnels and an Alpha Mantis testing site

japarker24 wrote:
SteveMc wrote:

My reading of the original post is that he/she has an H3, and is wondering if a different (60mm or 90mm) wheel would be better. But I could be wrong.

Currently have a Stinger 6 and a H3+ (the one with wider brake track)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh- one more thing that might put the h3 ahead is the forks: reportedly, these excel with forks with deep widely- spaced blades. think: the old QR carbonaero, the Cervelo wolf aero, or the configuration on the Dimond.
Quote Reply
Re: When should one use a trispoke front in lieu of a 60 or 90 mm front [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I wonder if my Plasma 3 falls into that category.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it certainly piqued my curiosity!

You could probably make some comparisons from your fork to those in the “worst to best” list in post 9.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rk%20blades#p1958825

Or, maybe Brian Stover will chime in ... as someone who has done a lot of testing on a Plasma.
Last edited by: davetallo: Jul 31, 20 19:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next