Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED.
Quote | Reply
Really, no surprise. The local area (I live here) is becoming more of a Covid hotspot every day. Here is the email I received from Ironman this afternoon. Note that you can still defer to a handful of 2020 races. Will they happen? Who knows... Note that an option is to apply entry fees from to 70.3 to the Coeur d'Alene full Ironman next June.

When we postponed the IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d’Alene triathlon from its original date of June 28 to September 6, 2020, we felt confident we would still be able to deliver an exceptional event at the later date.

Unfortunately, based on further conversations with and direction from local authorities in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, and with the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, the IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d’Alene triathlon cannot take place in 2020.

As previously announced, the Coeur d’Alene community will host a full-distance IRONMAN on June 27, 2021.

To provide all registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d’Alene triathlon an ability to participate in an IRONMAN event this year or next, we have made the following options available:

1. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City: Sept. 13, 2020

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG: Sept. 20, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: Sept. 27, 2020

4. Free transfer to 2020 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN 70.3 Des Moines: Oct. 4, 2020

5. Free transfer to 2020 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco: Oct. 18, 2020

6. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Oceanside: Oct. 24, 2020

7. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas: Nov. 22, 2020

8. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta: Dec. 6, 2020

9. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Florida: Dec. 13, 2020

10. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 St. George: May 1, 2021

11. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Washington: Date TBD

12. Apply entry fee towards 2021 IRONMAN Coeur d’Alene registration fee: June 27, 2021

Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. All athletes must make a selection by Tuesday, August 11 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact cda70.3@ironman.com.

While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we thank you for your commitment and look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d’Alene Team

Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jul 28, 20 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again... nine transfer options to other races that won’t happen. Ironman really has their heads in their asses. Why they continue to offer transfers to 2020 races is baffling.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better than the Santa Cruz 70.3 message I received.

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the mandate from the City of Santa Cruz in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz triathlon, originally scheduled for September 13 cannot take place in 2020. We are working diligently on all potential options and further event updates will be communicated as soon as possible.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but appreciate your patience while we work to confirm additional details.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact santacruz70.3@ironman.com

While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz Team

Does this mean that I should be expecting an option to sign up for Santa Cruz 2021 or them giving me an "option" to participate in a 2020 70.3 which could be clear across the country with states mandating 14 day quarantines????
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Panama 70.3 was canceled over two months ago and they still haven’t offered up any options.

Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was registered for CdA 70.3, deferred to Santa Cruz 709.3 (cancelled) and got that CdA email you posted above too.

Was thinking I'd defer my deferral to StG 70.3 in 2021.

*UPDATE
Guess since I deferred my original CdA reg to Santa Cruz, my link in the email wan't working. Man.....IM is really bassackwards right now

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Last edited by: TriSpencer: Jul 28, 20 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really think they are doing fine. If the races don’t happen in 2020 they will offer you ones in 2021. What else can they do?
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
I really think they are doing fine. If the races don’t happen in 2020 they will offer you ones in 2021. What else can they do?

Agree, there's only so much that they can do and I intend to race in 2021, so I don't need a refund.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So one thing they could do is issue refunds. If this leads to their bankruptcy, that sucks and many people might not want that, but it’s still an option.

Another thing they could do is stop leading people on and offer transfers to races they know won’t happen or are highly unlikely to happen and to which a large number of people won’t be able to travel even if they were somehow to happen.

Another thing they can do is cancel or postpone (long term, like a year) events they know are highly unlikely to happen and to which a large number of people won’t be able to travel even if they were somehow to happen.

Another thing they could do is communicate their contingency plans and be proactive about it instead of being quiet until very close to the events and not responding to people who emailed them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is pretty funny they have Superfrog 70.3 as a deferral option. Oh yeah, I'm sure that's going to happen.......
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [CamCom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and Oceanside will happen too.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to cap on Ironman but I think they should consider offering refunds. Coeur d'Alene is my hometown race. Traveling for a race is something I did not in this case sign up for, so deferring to a race halfway across the country presents additional demands. I was also signed up for the 70.3 Santa Rosa this year on a relay team. Our choices for deferral included the (for now) rescheduled race in October, days after my daughter's wedding in Montana (and now combined with the 140.6 race) or next year, date TBD. The closest race I can defer to from Cd'A 70.3 is 2021 Ironman 70.3 Washington, date TBD. Almost gives me a headache thinking about it.

Give me my money back and let me sign back up when 2021 race dates are firmed up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pointless Thread!

2020 Season is canceled
2020 as a year is canceled
Olympics are canceled ( postponed 2021 but starting to be unlikely )
Summer is canceled

Everything fun is canceled!

Even Top Gun 2 was postponed to December - :(
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:

Nope... July 2, 2021 is the new release date.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
FaKaspar wrote:

Nope... July 2, 2021 is the new release date.
Damn, I was really looking forward to this movie!
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Another thing they could do is communicate their contingency plans and be proactive about it instead of being quiet until very close to the events and not responding to people who emailed them.

This 100%. IMCA took two weeks to respond to me and then completely ignored my follow up when I expressed displeasure in my entry being considered a deferral and thus I am unable to transfer out of 2021 IMCA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just having my entry fees go towards credit would be great at this point

Looking at the events furthest out. I'm trying to decide between rolling the dice for Washington 70.3 date TBD or transfer to what would be my first full next year. Was not planning on that for a while but hey, might not even happen. World Champs slot 2020 is already being transferred to St. George so I don't want to do it twice

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'm really at the point of wanting to give IM more money at this point, but I did see on another platform where someone who had deferred to St. George, as I also did, was able to get that switched to the CDA full credit. I don't know if that's a one-off, but if you want it, might be worth the ask.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering they could have just thrown a big “f you”’ to everyone re cancellation I think they’ve done ok. I was in the original wave for Oceanside but figured 2020. Was likely off the table so deferred to April 2021. Now that seems unlikely.

I deferred CDA to la Quinta 2020 and that is imo definitely off the table.

The whole season is a wash and 2021 is doubtful. Shoulda just taken the money to Vegas and put it all on red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Once again... nine transfer options to other races that won’t happen. Ironman really has their heads in their asses. Why they continue to offer transfers to 2020 races is baffling.

I am with you. While I have some empathy for their situation, I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of strategy e.g. attrition in offering up transfers with little to no likelihood of happening.

As I am sure we all know, this is a tactic used in many industries and if they peel off even 10% that is favorable for the balance sheet. My hunch is they will be forced to "double hedge" and the races that do happen in 2021 will have massive fields to include the pushed entrants and the must have new entry revenue as our entry fees are spent.
Quote Reply
Re: 2020 Ironman Coeur d'Alene 70.3 now CANCELLED. [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the world of consumer rebates this is called "breakage". That a certain percentage of purchasers will drop out and not collect their rebates. It's part of the economic formula.
Quote Reply