Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record
Quote | Reply
Subject says it all.

Mentions it in his most recent video. Should be a fun goal for him. I know nothing about hour records so does he have a shot?

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not the best at turning and the hour record has a lot of turning.
I'd venture to say he's never ridden a fixed gear, but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fixed gears on a track is what makes me dont completely understand cycling. Why must it be foxed gears. I Can maybe understand it for points races and such, but for the hour Record?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked up some records, the Canadian record is 48.5 km. Merckx rode when 51.xx km in 1972 in Mexico City. Current record is 55.08 km, with Boardman going 56.xx km with the superman position.

No clue if this is real or how fast he will go, predictions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but I know nothing about the regulations for the hour attempt. Are you saying that in order for it to be official it must be done on a fixed gear bike or is it just the most optimal?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JeffJ wrote:
I looked up some records, the Canadian record is 48.5 km. Merckx rode when 51.xx km in 1972 in Mexico City. Current record is 55.08 km, with Boardman going 56.xx km with the superman position.

From what I recall, MTM got the second longest run when he Attempted, But didnt push out huge watts (relatively speaking), But was very aero, so it should be possible
Last edited by: brasch: Jul 27, 20 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's doable for him....that dude is a machine!
Crazy and talented machine! LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI rules don't have to make sense. They are just the rules.
All track races are on a fixed gear. I have no clue if it's fastest, but I'm certain it is the rules.

There are fit regulations as well. Some peoples optimal TT position is within the UCI guidelines, for others it is not optimal. Kind of sucks. Many riders are not as fast because of UCI rules on how they can position a standard TT bike.

He'll need a Fixie and UCI legal position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be amazing. Is the current holder an exolympian?

speedmax with double discs?

If lionel falls in love with the velodrome, which event could he best qualify for the next olympics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's really not much turning in a velodrome because the track turns you. It's pretty much riding in a straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
JeffJ wrote:

From what I recall, MTM got the second longest run when he Attempted, But didnt push out huge watts (relatively speaking), But was very aero, so it should be possible

I find it surprising that Tuft does not have the Canadian record, I wonder if he ever attempted it? He was a machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JeffJ wrote:

If the record is 48.5 km that should not be too hard for him if he uses a good velodrome. Kevin Metcalfe did >49 in the 55-59 age group. Takes about 40% more watts to go 55 vs 48.5.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
JeffJ wrote:

If the record is 48.5 km that should not be too hard for him if he uses a good velodrome. Kevin Metcalfe did >49 in the 55-59 age group. Takes about 40% more watts to go 55 vs 48.5.

Ollie from GCN did 47.593 at sea level on a 300W FTP (video below). 48.5k is an easy mark for someone of LS's ability. Pretty much any Canadian Conti Pro could break the record easily.
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;index=2&t=0s

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who would coach him in the details of this mission? Dave? Just curious or would Canyon send in a team?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it.

Played smart, he should crush it. I've seen his kona leadups though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Sorry but I know nothing about the regulations for the hour attempt. Are you saying that in order for it to be official it must be done on a fixed gear bike or is it just the most optimal?

Probably both. Aero testing is the only time they let anybody on the track with brakes or a derailleur and then you are renting it out for solo use. Once you are up to speed you wouldn’t want to be carrying around any extra garbage to create drag anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not a huge Brad Wiggins fan, but he is a multiple Olympic gold medallist, and a Tour Champ.

Along with being Hour Record holder and well, a bit of a goose.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
I’m not a huge Brad Wiggins fan, but he is a multiple Olympic gold medallist, and a Tour Champ.

However, he didn't set the record at altitude, so has left it easier that it could have been to break (not that I'm suggesting Lionel is the person to do it).
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Bad Ash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad Ash wrote:
altayloraus wrote:

However, he didn't set the record at altitude, so has left it easier that it could have been to break (not that I'm suggesting Lionel is the person to do it).

Wiggins's record was broken by a fair distance by Victor Campenaerts last year at altitude.

LS might well have plenty of raw power to do well on Zwift, but his aerodynamics need a lot of work in order to go fast on the track. Plus don't underestimate the skill needed for over 200 continual laps of a 250m loop at full gas.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, is he theoretically capable? Yes, but...

A few thoughts...
1) you need to be able to ride the black line, at FTP, for an hour. Can he do it? Maybe. FTP for an hour? I haven't a shadow of a doubt that he can do it, but can he do it on the black line? Without significant prior experience on the track, doubtful.
2) Can he pace it totally blind? Again, maybe. For official record attempts, you can't have a computer to assist with pacing, just a coach on the boards. (computer is often mounted under the saddle).
3) Does Canyon care enough about a national record to make him a one-off bike? Maybe, Covid killing racing means they probably have a bunch of time on their hands. Canyon doesn't make a pursuit frame (or any other track frame) at the moment. Dowsett had one custom made for his hour several years ago.
4) Can he do it in a UCI position? It's going to be an unfamiliar position for him. If he is going for a record with an asterisk that doesn't count, he can
5) Riding fast on the track is a totally different animal than people realize. It's more than balancing watts and aero, it's knowing when to shift the balance one way or the other during each and every section of his attempt.
6) Why? What's the upside if he does it? National records are gratifying to those that hold them, but largely ignored by the rest of the world. The WR is what matters.
7) Where? The track he chooses to do it on matters...A LOT. The national record doesn't have to be set in the country for which it's a record. If he goes to Aguascalientes, can he cope with the altitude? If he makes a sea-level attempt, does he have the watts to overcome air density?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why be UCI compliant?

Rather do it a la Kipchoge for marketing purposes.

Use a bike he is comfortable with and get an "unofficial" record for his cult following.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
That would be amazing. Is the current holder an exolympian?

speedmax with double discs?

If lionel falls in love with the velodrome, which event could he best qualify for the next olympics?

It will be a double disc. Look at Dowsett's old record bike for an optimized Speed Max even though its been some time. The Canadian record is super doable for an hour, but he is an aero turd. He couldn't touch work records.

There is no Olympic event on the track for him. He has pursuit power maybe, but stick him on a team pursuit and he'd crash out his team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*can* - probably
*will* - a lot of people look at speeds done in hour records... think "pfft what do these trackies know about riding an hour" and mistakenly think you take a good TT'er, put them on a track and they'll crush it. It's not nearly that simple.

Ed Veal holds the record, and his nickname is Ed "the real deal" Veal for a reason lol

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Ed has already beaten Lionel. 446W vs 419W.

If anything this will be a good reason for Lionel get his aero sorted (again).

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

excellent points! like many things in cycling, its not about absolute watts.

i gave the masters hour serious thought a few years ago and did a lot of testing. its fucking hard to get the effort right, in and out of the corners there are wattage changes, holding the line gets hard, RPE lies to you, etc etc.

this will take dedication. veal's strong and very experienced on the track. that said, i don't think veal did it in optimal conditions at all, or at the best track on the best day, but he had reasons to do it there and then.
Last edited by: buzz: Jul 29, 20 8:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next