Prev Next
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] "You're 50 and in denial about your age and abilities,".[/reply]

Don't listen to that crap. Once you stop you will start getting old.[u]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you gotta do what you love or you are no good to anyone, yourself included.

That said, if folks depend on you and you have the great fortune to be loved, don't frivolously endanger you life for a quick thrill. I don't squeeze every ounce of speed out of every downhill curve like I used to because the risk outweighs the reward. I don't challenge every car at every intersection when I riding home after work each day because I can't afford not to get home.

Play hard but be smart. Take risks on race day but you have to get to the startline in one piece. And don't be a prick to those that love you and want you in their lives for as long as possible.

There's a balance point there; you just have to find it.

(add your own platitude here: )

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just recently turned 51 and 10 months out from a bike accident in which I broke my neck. While I would readily admit to being more cautious (and I was pretty cautious before) I have vowed not to let the accident stop me. My wife and doctor were very supportive, even though my doctor did ask that I try not to break my neck again!

Since being cleared to partake in althletic events again, I have completed 2 5Ks, 1 10K, a distance (1-mile) swim and a swim meet. I am currently signed up for two triathlons, a 5K, a 10K, a 40K time trial, and a biathlon (run/swim) between now and the end of June.

Keep on keepin' on.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my GOD no! I'm firmly convinced that age is very much a number. Go with how you feel, and NEVER let people tell you that you're too old to do anything like that.
I am 42 and I have people call me for advice about what to buy here at my business (bodyboarding internet store) and I have guys that are like 35 call me and say, "I'm not young any more, and I can't bodyboard like I used to....blah, blah, blah", and I want to say, "just get in shape and you'll be fine!".

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Here we are today:
http://i5.photobucket.com/...Christmas2005002.jpg"

WOW! Can you ADOPT me?? You two look beeeeaauuuutiful!! Wow! What verve! What spirit, evidenced in your healthful vigor - even behind those sunglasses!

So, please answer for everyone, what is YOUR 'secret' (*coff*coff*) for energy, beauty, vivacity?

Lauren
She who asks many questions...

Male ego. :) I love the attention :) When I was 30 everyone thought I was 40 now at 58 everyone thinks I am 48. I have to admint the Hawaii weather is a major factor. I moved out here 25 years ago from MI (lived on a dirt road) where I was a couch potato.

Thanks again Lauren for your kind comments. My family in MI thinks we are just too skinny. We must be unhealthy. Bring it on!

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Littleringman

As every one has said NO WAY your to old!

My best buddy Henric and I (I’m 47 he’s 51) last fall were just ripping down a trail here in bend, Way up high in the Cascades. and I’m think’n man if he stacks I’m just going to drill him. But he didn’t and I didn’t and it was the best ride I had all season. I think about it some but it never stops me from rip’n down a sweet single-track, witch we have a ton of.

So don’t worry your not to old, but they may be?

Life’s short ride hard!

Dan…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah!!

I broke my collarbone in a spill 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 35.

My wife was and is still very concerned when I ride the roads, but wives are like that.

Just point out the health benefits and that you likely don't look like your typical 50-something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too old? No #%*#@($* way.

I changed careers [drastically!] in my later 30's - not too old for that - and caught up and passed those in my new career quickly. I will turn 53 in a few months - am recovering from an ankle fractured snowboarding (switched from skiing to boarding in my mid-40's - not too old for that), and am recovering as rapidly as I did from ski accident 25 years ago. Have been marathoning etc for years, and always train with many people much younger than I, and still manage to hold my own.

Aging demands a different approach to training, one that is tailored to age - increased focus on flexibility, enhanced attention to periodization, etc - but nothing is better for minimizing age-related declines than cross-training, e.g. triathlon. Don't give in to those who tell you you're too old to do anything. Those comments are more related to projections of their fears and inertia than of reality.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there will be a wide assortment of old farts on Sunday.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, as one who is 50, I can tell you that you are in denial about your age and abilities.

Some friendly advice: Stay in denial, hopefully until they lower you into the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not too old to ride my bike, but I'm getting too old to crash.

Significantly undertrained since 1999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife gives me the same "when are you going to grow up" stuff. I'm 55 and look at it this way. I'm usually in the top 5% overall in any running, duathlon or triathon race I do, so maybe it's some of the youngsters I am beating who should hang it up. We Boomers still got game!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you at the races.
I ain't quiting till it ain't fun no more.

Thom (53)

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just think Brian, if you're anything like Wayne McSheehy, you've got another 20+ good years of competition in you.

I remember hearing he had a crash of his own a while back, and there was something oddly reassuring about seeing his 72 year old self back racing last summer and putting the fear of losing to the Old Guy back into the 30-39 AGers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just turned 56 and although I may not break 40 minutes for a stand alone 10 K anymore, my cycling just gets better every year. And this Sunday I'm going to finally take the plunge and go to my first masters swim workout. These new challenges are what keeps me going.

Sure it's funny till somebody gets hurt...then it's hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm over that. He beats me all the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in a family and social atmosphere that expected sports/exercise to cease after high school. For them, activity is reserved for work and watching football on TV. I followed that plan until the age of 29 when I started running again to lose a beer belly. I was amazed at the world that opened up for me. I've been a competitive AG runner for the past 13 years. My experience in the last three years attempting Tri has been humbling, to say the least, but I get better each year. I can't imagine my life without running, tri, adventure racing, etc.

My wife and kids are incredibly supportive, but my extended family still thinks I'm nuts. Not the good kind of nuts, like, "wow, that's crazy. good for him." They honestly don't get it. Grown men shouldn't act this way. At 44-years old, they want to know when I will stop this foolishness. They've asked every year since I was 29. It is as if they are embarrassed for me. (I won't even mention the shaved legs issue)

What began and continues for my own pleasure has grown into something more important, however. I have two young sons who now take for granted a lifetime filled with health and activity. They don't know anything different. They discuss remaining active into their old age as a simple reality. They just naturally assume they will be running across the Grand Canyon when they are 70.

I still do this for the fun - smoking a 27-year old in a 10K is fun, working on my swim is (a masochistic) fun, feeling that groove in a paceline is beyond fun. But what keeps me going is knowing that in a single generation I've ended a familial mindset of sedentary apathy. Will I still be as active as possible into my 50s, 60s and beyond? You bet your ass.
Last edited by: Zock: Feb 23, 06 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's easy. Give you MD a bag of salt and a tube of KY

Give your wife a bike...

gbassett.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the support. I've made up my mind to get back on the bicycle as soon as the clavicle heals and the road rash is gone. I won't be ready for IMAZ but I'll be at the line for IMWisco and I have a date with that same descent after a bit of skills brush-up, practice--oh yeah, and a new helmet because I pulverized the last one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well "youngster", riding is probably one thing that keeps you young. In our club, I am one of the youngsters and routinely get dusted by guys over 65.

Just remember, everything in moderation! And if you are going to push the envelope, learn to handle your bike better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a 36yr old doling out advice to someone older than me is kind of pointless..especially with age related topics. However..if they think 50 is old maybe they should ask the advice of Joe Bonness. He's about that and didn't he just win 'another' Ironman recently. Yep..50 is too old to be racing...dude is in serious denial..he needs to age gracefully and buy himself a pair of plaid golf pants with an elastic waistband and call it quits in the sport he loves. Even at my young age people tell me I should grow up and give up the sport. I will...when they put me in the ground permanently. Until then I'll keep taking my lumps, climbing back in the saddle again, and doing it all over again next weekend. And I'll be damned if I ever let anyone tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing because of age. Glad to see you didn't listen to them either..be in denial but be glad it's on the saddle and not on the couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't tell me over 50 is old. I just turned 55 two weeks ago and am looking forward to the new age group. This is my 20th year of doing tris and I still enjoy the training and racing. I have to say though I enjoyed the racing more in my earlier years but now enjoy the training more. IM Lake Plaicd this summer will be my 17th IM. I'm going to keep tri-ing until I win my age group in Hawaii :-)

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [kml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys in my AG (50-54) are the toughest, meanest, nastiest, SOBs God ever invented.

Why thank you, thank you very much. :-)

I am honored to just be able to line up with them and start on the same cannon blast.

As well you should be. ;-)

While doing well against all you other mean cuss's is nice, I still get a lot of joy of passing up all those 30-somethings. It's like dessert after every meal every time I come up on some guy with a 30-something on his calf. :-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your young, I will be 54 in May. Get on your bike and go for it! Just be careful.

Train safe & smart Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know how those asians age (or don't rather)...did you know BottomFeeder is actually 67 years old?

He claims its all the yoga and pilates that helps him maintain his boyish figure.
Last edited by: KJGrog: Feb 24, 06 3:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next