Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aftershockz Aeropex without a doubt. Had a bunch and these blow the rest away.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
aftershockz all the way.
I have a pair; they are 'bonephones' - bone conductors. If you're going to be riding down a country road they're great because w/o anything in your ears you can hear all ambient noise, like a car coming or a dog barking (& maybe coming your way to defend it's turf). However, that's also their downside. If you're in a noisy environment (including the bar - post-run & pre-COVID) they're kind of useless. All of that ambient noise ends up drowning out my music. They do come with small, foam earplugs but that really defeats the purpose of using bonephones & if that's what I wanted I'd just get regular in-ear headphones.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [secondchancepro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
secondchancepro wrote:
Aftershockz Aeropex without a doubt. Had a bunch and these blow the rest away.

Question - I'm seriously considering these for both the fit (I like the design) and the bone-conduction, but my main use will be on a treadmill (stepping noises) and Vasa erg. Neither of these are super loud, but obviously they'll overlap with the Aeropex sound. Have you had any problems or issues with them with treadmill use in terms of not being loud enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said- outside noise will make them harder to hear. That’s kind of the point though. As far as treadmill time- I haven’t had any issue. I don’t use them for my indoor trainer though. It’s a little loud and lots of fans going would kill them.

I’ve had a couple pairs of Aftershockz. The Aeropex is definitely the most comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the 5X plus have music storage you can stream from? Running and biking with a phone is just inconvenient.

That being said every pair of BT headphones I've had have died from getting drenched with sweat and haven't found them very reliable. I just use a cheap mini mp3 player and wired buds and when they break they are inexpensive to replace. I do have a nice pair of Shure BT earbuds, but they are primarily used for air travel trips, which I am doing loads of currently...
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
Does the 5X plus have music storage you can stream from? Running and biking with a phone is just inconvenient.

That being said every pair of BT headphones I've had have died from getting drenched with sweat and haven't found them very reliable. I just use a cheap mini mp3 player and wired buds and when they break they are inexpensive to replace. I do have a nice pair of Shure BT earbuds, but they are primarily used for air travel trips, which I am doing loads of currently...

The 5x Plus has local storage for music.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/603229#specs

I find the Garmin music stuff to be a hassle to deal with. I haven't tried Spotify, but Amazon Music takes a long time to sync playlists over wifi. I wish Google and Garmin could get together and add YT Music support.

Shure has the new true wireless ear buds/adapters that look decent, but I can't run with my shure ear buds because of the occlusion effect. Maybe I should try with foam tips to see if that helps. I feel like I am super sensitive to the thumping, because I struggle to find isolating earbuds that don't drive me crazy. I wish I could find some true wireless ear buds that used something like the old Yurbud twist lock instead of all the isolating earbuds.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here, i've had the same pair since 2014 and they're still working perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am personally using Sony WH-1000XM3. It is the best noise cancelling headphone for me. I use it during my work from home and for conference calls mostly. Since, it is wireless, I use it during walking and cycling too. You should definitely giving it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need some backup headphones and just ordered these:

https://www.amazon.com/...pt2_mob_b_prod_image

There was a $10 coupon on them so pretty cheap.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the deal with running - headphones - and noise cancelling?

Apparently you can hear yourself land, quite clearly? Annoying?

Any ideas? Never run with noise cancelling before.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
jhammond wrote:
I've been interested in trying them, but it's so different from normal headphones that I'm hesitant. What exactly do they sound like?

They sound like being run over by a truck.

If you want high quality sound dont get these. But when you are running and cycling you want to hear the more important noise in the area than your music. I run with my Aftershokz, I have used them on a closed loop trail but I would NEVER use them or any other headphone on the open road, I want to hear that 4 x 4 diesel Bro driving towards me.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
jhammond wrote:
I've been interested in trying them, but it's so different from normal headphones that I'm hesitant. What exactly do they sound like?

They sound like being run over by a truck.

If you want high quality sound dont get these. But when you are running and cycling you want to hear the more important noise in the area than your music. I run with my Aftershokz, I have used them on a closed loop trail but I would NEVER use them or any other headphone on the open road, I want to hear that 4 x 4 diesel Bro driving towards me.

I've now used my Aeropex for a few months now in a variety of situations, so I can now give it a fair review.

I would NOT recommend them anymore. The sound quality is too poor in the setting of external noise, even with earplugs in.

It's a bummer because I LOVE the design (I'm convinced these will be the ultimate in sweat-resistance, as they are outside your ear canal), comfort, looks, and the ear-freedom of unobstructed natural hearing seems like an awesome idea for safety. And the sound quality with no external noise is plenty good and sharp.

Alas, once you start throwing passing cars, treadmills, Kickrs going at high speed into the mix, it all degrades substantially, even with earplugs. In particular, I can't hear ANYTHING when any truck goes by - it's so bad that on a moderately busy commercial street, the Aeropex is literally useless.

There ARE situations where the Aeropex would still excel - running on remote roads with next to no car traffic, or on trails where you might need detailed hearing for mtn bikers approaching, so I'm not chukking it completely. But for typical neighborhood running in suburbia and definitely for urban areas, NOT recommended. I also would not recommend for treadmill use or kickr use, as a noise-canceling earbud will outperform it so far that it's a sad comparison (and also better for your hearing.)
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trivia break : its called Bluetooth because the inventor is Norwegian guy that ate lots of blueberries and that is his nickname
Quote Reply

Prev Next