Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions
Quote | Reply
My Bose Soundsport headphones are finally at the point, after many years of dutiful service, where they basically won't hold a charge anymore. What kind of bluetooth headphones do you all use when you are running/cycling? I do XTERRAs so I do a lot of mountain biking and need something secure enough to not fall out on rocky trails (I live in Colorado and they don't call them the rocky mountains for nothing).
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend not wearing headphones while running of cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would recommend not wearing headphones while running of cycling.

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftershockz all the way.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been interested in trying them, but it's so different from normal headphones that I'm hesitant. What exactly do they sound like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're not going to get the same "quality" you get out of over the ear headphones, but i was surprised at how good they do sound for what they are.

to me id happily sacrifice a little quality over the safety factor. i always have either a podcast or music playing when i run or cycle outdoors and i absolutely love them.

order some from amazon and if you dont like them amazon is pretty good about returns.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had a couple of generations of Beats PowerBeats ones. Avoid the ones with a wire connecting the two earpieces. The latest wireless ones have been great during heavy usage of both running, treadmill, weights and turbo trainer, plus travel and so on.

The only downside is occasionally they don’t seem to seat, or rattle loose in the case so every now and again one earpiece was drained of charge. I just make sure I carefully seat them in their case. Not cheap, but would highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I've been interested in trying them, but it's so different from normal headphones that I'm hesitant. What exactly do they sound like?

They sound like being run over by a truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Aftershokz (I got the Aeropex version). The sound is better than I expected, but of of course not as good as in-ear headphones. I definitely won't be going back to regular headphones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the JBL Mini reflect.
https://www.jbl.com/.../REFLECT+MINI+2.html

I've been using them 3 years now with good results.
Battery lasts at least a week with moderate use and no issues with sweat (and I sweat a lot).

Connectivity wise, I use them mostly with an iPhone at the back of my shorts, with no issues.

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For running and gym, I use MPOW brand bluetooth earbuds for like $40 that have worked great for over a year:

https://www.amazon.com/...aps%2C174&sr=1-9

For riding, agree that if you need music, safer to use the aftershokz, but be aware that they don't fit well for everyone under the bottom of the helmet, so maybe be sure to buy from somewhere that you can return them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally came to realization how dangerous cycling with headphones is...

I got a Soros Helmet, w headphones that are like the aftershox. They have a mountain bike version, but I’ve only used used the road one. Their support tram was good when I had quality issues

I’d say the music quality is decent at best... but good enough to listen to an audio book while going easy, and hear the beat while going hard. But can hear cars / my surroundings 100% of the time
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
aftershockz all the way.
This.

I use aftershockz air and they’re brilliant. Connect to my phone and also my Fenix 5X Plus.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had a Coros helmet for awhile now and love it. Your description is perfect. Good enough to follow a book or podcast while going easy and listen to some music while going harder/faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Jaybird Vistas and they are awesome. Stay in the ear great and give me good sound. You can use them one at a time which is nice when you want to have one ear available or to essentially double the battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorites are the Plantronics Backbeat Fit. They are over ear, so very secure. They also allow ambient sound in, so you can still hear the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
My favorites are the Plantronics Backbeat Fit. They are over ear, so very secure. They also allow ambient sound in, so you can still hear the world.

+1

Have used these extensively for years. Great product and sound quality.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from the Bose Soundsport free to the Powerbeats Pro and was very happy with them. They stay in well and overall very happy with them.
Have similar problems to the other poster that they sometimes won't seat in the case and charge so just conscious to look for the red charging light. You can find them on sale from time to time. Plus both headphones are able to work solo so for cycling i just put the right one in and works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of these Soundcore Liberty headphones when my AirPods died. I also bought some aftermarket foam tips and they don't move at all when running on the treadmill where I am sweating up a storm. Sound is good and customer service is great too.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jlab epic air elite true wireless sport earbuds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IFF you're going to use headphones while cycling, you need to use bone conduction and not in-ear headphones. So AfterShokz!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jabra Elite Active 65 or 75. The pass-through lets you hear everything around you, unless you're on a bike going much above ~12 mph, then the wind noise clogs the sounds. It's okay during mountain biking at slower speeds, but I just don't like riding with headphones now (not that many think it's a good idea to ride with something blocking one of your senses). Aftershokz gave me jaw and head pain trying to listen to books/podcasts while riding.

I have owned at least a dozen wireless headphones and the Jabras are far and away the best I have come across. I have both the 65 and 75. The 75 has been $100 on ebay lately for a refurbished unit.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 5, 20 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Headphone Suggestions [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Jabra Elite Active 75. I'm a heavy sweater/hard on things and I usually destroy headphones every 6 months or so. I've almost had the Jabra for a full year. I also wear them while riding, but, I am also worth more dead than alive. Thanks student loans!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some Jaybird Tarah Pros. Like them a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the Powerbeats Pro. I got a pair as a gift for Fathers Day and use them for running and biking. I also wanted them to be a secure fit and used the corded model for several years prior, they have the behind the ear piece that helps them stay in place.

I tried a couple sets of Jaybirds a few years ago and they didn't last, got them replaced several times and they'd fail in the same or some other way. Finally got tired of messing with it and threw them away. My other half has the same pair of Jaybirds and they've done okay for her. She doesn't use them as often or sweat as heavy as I do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next