Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ventum NS1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been out for two rides on the Norco Section all road (aluminum) and I think it (in the carbon version) could be a strong contender:

55.5 frame is 374 stack, 392 reach; you could also go 58 and be at the top end of your fit numbers. chainstays are 415mm. it has a standard 1 1/8 steerer clamp for traditional threadless stems. it has a braze-on front derailleur mount. it is designed for 28-35mm tires, i am riding GravelKing 35s that measure out to 37mm and they clear the fork, frame and front derailleur - could maybe even go up 1-2mm. The bike handles like a road bike (72.5 head angle, 1009mm wheelbase) and has a really nice ride.

https://www.norco.com/...road/section-carbon/
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just out of interest, was the 3T Strada you reviewed in November not a keeper for you? Any reason in particular?

3T Strada would've been my go-to bike, except, i got this bike in its 1x config, and I've decided that while 1x is so far my preferred gravel set up, 2x is what i want for my road set up. had i gotten this bike in its 2x config, i probably would not be looking for another road frame.

Looks like you just need to contact Gerard and buy a Strada 2x from him then?

Merlin UK has the 3T Strada Due framesets back in stock, on sale for roughly 1950 US. I can't decide if I love the way they look, or hate them! lol

https://www.merlincycles.com/...frameset-190510.html
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC roadmachine would be a solid choice, if you can wait a bit and see what Specialized does with the new Tarmac . Although the front end might not meet your standards because it's more integrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I don't know anything about bikes except black is the best color. That said, I am strongly considering a thread called "help TC choose a new swimsuit" just for funsies. (I thought you knew everything there was to know about bikes, so I find this thread surprising!)

I think he's just testing us ;-)

yeah ..this has the feel of my university prof doing some recon as to which students have been keeping up on their studies. I was lost after the 'bike geometry 'part so I'd be a FAIL:)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just out of interest, was the 3T Strada you reviewed in November not a keeper for you? Any reason in particular?

3T Strada would've been my go-to bike, except, i got this bike in its 1x config, and I've decided that while 1x is so far my preferred gravel set up, 2x is what i want for my road set up. had i gotten this bike in its 2x config, i probably would not be looking for another road frame.

Looks like you just need to contact Gerard and buy a Strada 2x from him then?

Merlin UK has the 3T Strada Due framesets back in stock, on sale for roughly 1950 US. I can't decide if I love the way they look, or hate them! lol

https://www.merlincycles.com/...frameset-190510.html

Electronic-only. Meh...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an Allied Allroad gravel bike and it's a beauty. The ride is similar to the Open UP, with the Allied being slightly more traditional road geometry and UP a little more endurance-leaning ... my impressions, at least. I liked them both a lot. The original Allied Alfa (road bike, not gravel, and not sure if it meets your specs) frameset price has just dropped this week, so it's worth a look. Made in USA, and very good customer service.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just heard about a new model that might work for you:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Future_7714.html
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
I just heard about a new model that might work for you:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Future_7714.html

yeah. that bike showed up after i began this thread. it's a candidate for sure. here's the interesting thing. look at these geometry charts:

the caledonia in size 56 has exactly the same stack as the systemsix in size 58. the reach of the cannondale is a centimeter and change longer than on the cervelo, but that's fixed with a longer stem. the actual bike isn't longer, however, in fact the 56cm cervelo is a longer bike, in wheelbase, by a centimeter and a quarter. the cervelo is a centimeter longer in the chain stay and 3mm longer in front/center.

so, really, the 56cm is for all intents the analogous bike to the 58cm in the cannondale, and a cannondale supersix (in size 58cm) is the bike i'm coming off of.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any interest in using a new Racemax as your new road bike? Would you fit on a 56 or a 58 more likely in that scenario if running fat road tires was your main concern?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Minorsubplot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minorsubplot wrote:
Any interest in using a new Racemax as your new road bike? Would you fit on a 56 or a 58 more likely in that scenario if running fat road tires was your main concern?

do you mean an exploro racemax?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed. Perhaps it's too monster-truck for what you're seeking.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Minorsubplot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minorsubplot wrote:
Indeed. Perhaps it's too monster-truck for what you're seeking.

i love that bike. i basically have 2 versions of something like that right now: an OBED, and an OPEN WI.DE. they're both big-clearance gravel bikes. however, the racemax is aero, so, it's like if a cervelo catalonia or patagonia, excuse me i keep forgetting, caledonia, mated with an OPEN WI.DE and had a baby, it would be the racemax. that bike has probably the largest use case range of any bike going. but i have the gravel part of that equation sorted. i just need the road bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

Have you decided on a new frame? I'm in the same process and probably leaning towards the new Giant TCR. I think all the integrated front ends would be a huge pain to live with. Had a look at the new Tarmac SL7 yesterday and was a little underwhelmed. I travel with my bike (or at least I used to) and don't fancy the idea of having to re-bleed brake lines in a hotel room because the integrated front end got knocked around.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:
Hi Dan,

Have you decided on a new frame? I'm in the same process and probably leaning towards the new Giant TCR. I think all the integrated front ends would be a huge pain to live with. Had a look at the new Tarmac SL7 yesterday and was a little underwhelmed. I travel with my bike (or at least I used to) and don't fancy the idea of having to re-bleed brake lines in a hotel room because the integrated front end got knocked around.

Alex

i'm not there yet. i like the caledonia. i like QR's new aero road bike. but i'm not in a huge hurry, because my excursions right now are on multi-surface, so i'm relying on gravel bikes with both gravel and road wheelsets.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next