Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [WattieInkJay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WattieInkJay wrote:
The stem in the shot is the 100mm version.
Can the new stem front plate be used rather than the full PD stem
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Can the new stem front plate be used rather than the full PD stem

No. The bolt spacing is close but the wraparound on the bar is different so it won't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [swimbikejon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting the Aeria 100mm stem for my L Canyon Speedmax CF.

From what I read replacing the original stem should be quite simple apart from sanding down the stock spacer in order to fit flush, is that correct? Also the Aeria hydration system should then just fit right?

The Shimano break cable and shifter cables are not routed through the stem anyway, so that shouldn't be a concern right?

Also you seem to have noted some rubbing of the stem on the bento box? That doesn't sound too reassuring :/

Thanks!!
Last edited by: cmart: Jun 2, 20 22:59
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the Aeria 100mm stem for my L Canyon Speedmax CF.

From what I read replacing the original stem should be quite simple apart from sanding down the stock spacer in order to fit flush, is that correct? Also the Aeria hydration system should then just fit right?

The Shimano break cable and shifter cables are not routed through the stem anyway, so that shouldn't be a concern right?

Also you seem to have noted some rubbing of the stem on the bento box? That doesn't sound too reassuring :/

Thanks!!

I'm using this exact setup except for the spacer as I run the stem slammed. Hydration will indeed fit.
Since I've lowered the stem, I also ordered the lower version of the bento which fits perfectly, I'm not noticing any rubbing between stem/bento.
For the cables, I've routed both brake cables through the stem, with the rear cable exiting behind the top-cap and front brake cable (for Tririg Omega) entering on the side and exiting through the bottom hole; this one was a real pita to setup! Had to route the inner cable first and then slide the outer cable in place, I had to remove the stem from the bike and also remove the basebar for this as the bends were too tight to pass the cables with stem and basebar all attached.
Despite all this still very happy with result!
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!

The routing of the cables is optional though since they are not routed through the V21 stock stem, right?
I mean it would be a nice thing to clean up the cables but yeah.. I'm not so big about that. I'm mainly aiming for the 10mm added reach and the hydration system :)
Last edited by: cmart: Jun 3, 20 2:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want more reach and you're not fussed about internal cables why not get the 1/seventeen stem and HSF faceplate. Then you could go with a 110mm stem. Plus it would be lighter and cheaper. Not as low if that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Great, thanks!

The routing of the cables is optional though since they are not routed through the V21 stock stem, right?
I mean it would be a nice thing to clean up the cables but yeah.. I'm not so big about that. I'm mainly aiming for the 10mm added reach and the hydration system :)

You're right, cables are not routed through the Canyon stem. Just did it to clean up the front-end.
Since I was lowering the stem, I had to redo the cables anyway so instead of a 30min job I turned it into an evening-long struggle :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
If you want more reach and you're not fussed about internal cables why not get the 1/seventeen stem and HSF faceplate. Then you could go with a 110mm stem. Plus it would be lighter and cheaper. Not as low if that matters.

Awesome, that sounds like a good option, didn't know about this, thanks!
I'd maybe even go for the 120mm stem (to have some room in forward and backwards; currently it's maxed out to the front with the 90mm stem)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
cmart wrote:
Great, thanks!

You're right, cables are not routed through the Canyon stem. Just did it to clean up the front-end.
Since I was lowering the stem, I had to redo the cables anyway so instead of a 30min job I turned it into an evening-long struggle :-)

For me that evening-long struggle would probably be a whole weekend ;) Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
cmart wrote:
Great, thanks!

For me that evening-long struggle would probably be a whole weekend ;) Thanks!

haha, well, I think it wouldn't be too bad to try... always rewarding to do your own bike-work and end up with a good end-result!
I also had to reroute my shifter cables and lost most time figuring out how the ^%#%^ I could get the front-brake cable routed.
As a side-note, maybe you could also add the Omega front-brake, together with Aeria/hydration and cable clean-up, you will get the real "super-bike" look for a fraction of the price!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
I'd maybe even go for the 120mm stem (to have some room in forward and backwards; currently it's maxed out to the front with the 90mm stem)

I'm not sure the shroud reaches the frame with a 120mm stem, I'll try to have a look tomorrow.
I rate the HSF faceplate as one of my better ideas in the last couple of years - a small part making the fast bottle more affordable with more fit options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
cmart wrote:

I'm not sure the shroud reaches the frame with a 120mm stem, I'll try to have a look tomorrow.

That'd be awesome, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you find not having enough space for anything with the short bento?
I already have trouble fitting stuff in the current one and the di2 box doesn't help

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I already have trouble fitting stuff in the current one and the di2 box doesn't help

I'm on a mech. groupset so that helps.
For 1/4 (oly), I can take my 4 gels with this box (gels sticking out) For longer distance I also have to tape some to the top-tube (and take the after swim gel in t1 instead of early on the bike)
Actually thinking of putting the high bento back on for 1/2 distance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

For 1/4 (oly), I can take my 4 gels with this box (gels sticking out) For longer distance I also have to tape some to the top-tube (and take the after swim gel in t1 instead of early on the bike)

Tststs... Cleaning up the cables but taping gels to the top tube. Aerodynamically this is far from ideal, especially on long course. I'm sure you'll find a better alternative ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

Tststs... Cleaning up the cables but taping gels to the top tube. Aerodynamically this is far from ideal, especially on long course. I'm sure you'll find a better alternative ;)

I'll use aero tape :-D
But seriously, I think the aero impact of gels on top tube is very small; and this is still better than gels+dangling cables...
Best solution though is to skip the long races (short races are more fun anyway ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
cmart wrote:
Kempenaer wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

I'll use aero tape :-D
But seriously, I think the aero impact of gels on top tube is very small; and this is still better than gels+dangling cables...
Best solution though is to skip the long races (short races are more fun anyway ;-)

Yea, Id imagine it would have little impact sitting behind the bento. But what do I know?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is with a 100mm stem (which is what the shroud was designed for).
It would be close on a 110 but with a 120 the shroud will be waving at the frame from a distance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Interesting that Profile Design never mentions this. They only say the stem should be 90mm upwards. I'd like to have the 120mm though :/ Maybe I try it and see how 'bad' it really is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

A question regarding the 1/seventeen stem. It doesn't seem to have a cap, nor does the Canyon V21 stem have a cap. So how to close the top of the 1/seventeen stem then? I'm generally little bit worried that the front might look completely off with a different, non-Canyon, stem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
A question regarding the 1/seventeen stem. It doesn't seem to have a cap, nor does the Canyon V21 stem have a cap. So how to close the top of the 1/seventeen stem then? I'm generally little bit worried that the front might look completely off with a different, non-Canyon, stem

The headset cap is part of the steerer expander, unless it's a stem with non standard shaping.
I can't find a manual - but from the pics it looks like V21 may have a standard cap underneath the cover?
If it doesn't you will need to find something appropriate to the expander. If you're lucky that will just be a standard round cap with a bolt through the middle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
cmart wrote:

The headset cap is part of the steerer expander, unless it's a stem with non standard shaping.
I can't find a manual - but from the pics it looks like V21 may have a standard cap underneath the cover?
If it doesn't you will need to find something appropriate to the expander. If you're lucky that will just be a standard round cap with a bolt through the middle.

The V21 stem seems 1-piece, so don't think there's a cap somewhere. Hmm.. Gonna think about it, little worried the front might look completely frankenstein'd :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I was thinking, the 100m aeria on the Speedmax CF 8 Di2

What'd you end up doing? Did it fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF [Foolless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foolless wrote:
That's exactly what I was thinking, the 100m aeria on the Speedmax CF 8 Di2

What'd you end up doing? Did it fit?

I didn't buy it. For now I've got a Xlab Torpedo hydration system. I don't quite like the look of a non-Canyon stem I guess :/
Quote Reply
Aeria Ultimate stem on Canyon CF => install on Canyon CF8 di2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Just received my Canyon Cf8. Starting to install the Aeria system. .

Original setup

Canyon stem and Aeria stem

Quote Reply

Prev Next