Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life?
Quote | Reply
A month ago I was stung by a bee in the palm of my hand. No initial reaction besides swelling. However, the next morning I woke up my hand was really swollen and red. The day after, I woke up with an egg sized painful bump in my arm pit, and the redness from my hand had started spreading up my arm. At this point I saw a doctor, who gave me antibiotics and a strong antihistamine. Problem resolved in a few days and reacted quite quickly to the treatment.

This Sunday, while out riding (sorry BLeP), a bee ran in to my and stung me on the inner thigh. Again, no immediate reaction. The next morning it looked like I had a swollen red pancake under my skin around the sting, and by lunch my whole thigh was bright red and extremely swollen. Again, saw a Dr, got another round of antibiotics and antihistamine.

Before this year I have never had a reaction like this to bee stings. I have also started developing seasonal allergies to some types of pollen this year. Has anyone else had reactions like this? Is there any way to avoid a round of antibiotics every God damn time I get a bee sting? I work outside a fair amount and seem to get stung multiple times a summer.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bee stings and poison ivy reactions can develop increasing sensitivity over time. N you may want to talk to your doctor about an epipen as your reactions could get worse. As to pollen, your sensitivities change over time. I have had some go away, and new ones occur. Ragweed used to be a problem but no longer, Maples now are.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get an epipen

I know someone who developed food allergies later in life.

Were they bee or wasp stings? Maybe you were never stung before....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First one this year was a bee for certain. I never saw the one that hit my thigh. Just felt a sharp sting and thought it was a piece of road gravel that kicked up. Both looked the same, just a small red puncture mark. No stinger left.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband also developed an allergy to wasp stings in his 30s.

My brother in law developed an allergy to cats as an adult. He’s a vet.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been stung by a bee in ages, and never by a wasp so I'm lucky there, but I do have a mild cat allergy, a mild house dust allergy, and had a severe cedar pollen allergy from about 4-8 years ago, but that seems to be less severe over the past few years.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have had asthma on and off for ever, this year and last year though I've developed terrible hay-fever

Every single day, eyes, breathing, the whole shebang

Weird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I developed seasonal allergies in my 30s. Never had any issues except maybe some teary eyes being in grass a bunch, but now, every fall I'm dying. Getting a Kenalog shot every year has helped a ton.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Bee stings and poison ivy reactions can develop increasing sensitivity over time. N you may want to talk to your doctor about an epipen as your reactions could get worse. As to pollen, your sensitivities change over time. I have had some go away, and new ones occur. Ragweed used to be a problem but no longer, Maples now are.

This. My mother has an allergy to ant bite from a relatively uncommon species. She's one of only a few identified sufferers in the country, but they have a lot in common with those who suffer from a form of bee sting allergy. It has an "inverse" tolerance - gets worse every time. She thinks she might have been bitten once as a young child. Next time she was about 65 - severe reaction. Time after that; hospitalised. Time after that, she reached her epipen and the phone, but lost consciousness immediately after calling ambulance (and she had been only just outside her door, living on a property where she could easily have been 600 metres from her house).

The next time it happens, it will almost certainly kill her quite quickly; said the cheerful medical team.

Not kidding. It's serious shit (may not be for you, but do get further tests).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
jriosa wrote:

This. My mother has an allergy to ant bite from a relatively uncommon species. She's one of only a few identified sufferers in the country, but they have a lot in counmmon with those who suffer from a form of bee sting allergy. It has an "inverse" tolerance - gets worse every time. She thinks she might have been bitten once as a young child. Next time she was about 65 - severe reaction. Time after that; hospitalised. Time after that, she reached her epipen and the phone, but lost consciousness immediately after calling ambulance (and she had been only just outside her door, living on a property where she could easily have been 600 metres from her house).

The next time it happens, it will almost certainly kill her quite quickly; said the cheerful medical team.

Not kidding. It's serious shit (may not be for you, but do get further tests).

Jesus. Can she move where these ants aren’t endemic?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here develope severe allergies later in life? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She could, but won't. She has decided to die in her home, however that may come about.
For a while she carried her epipen with her everywhere. These days, I wonder if she even knows where she put it.
She has also taken up smoking again.
She is 84, and if not exactly welcoming death, she seems happy to give it a bit of a hurry along.
Quote Reply